Information on driving - On Topic

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Jean Paul, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Jean Paul

Jean Paul New Member

I been working preload at ups since peak season in October and was officially hired on Jan 2015. I just was given the opportunity to drive doing Saturday air, and would appreciate anyone's advice. I signed some paper work and now waiting on my date to take the road test. I'm 27 years old and am wondering about how many years would it take me to start driving as a tcd or even possibly full time in the future. If anyone has any insights, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. Its a good way to get your foot in the door.
    The wait time varies. Unfortunately it seems to be getting longer and longer.

3. Browndriver5

Browndriver5 Active Member

I just need some retirements. Since I started at UPS 5 years ago only 4 drivers have retired

4. And they keep cutting more and more routes.

5. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

You're not on the West coast are you?

6. Browndriver5

I actually think ill be full time within the next 2 years. At first I thought I would have a 10 year wait but people weed themselves out and you move up faster than you think

7. Good luck to you.

8. Browndriver5

Thanks man

9. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

How long will it be if you don't start?

10. Jean Paul

Jean Paul New Member

In Texas.

11. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

Just checking. Same name and age as my nephew. I was going to congratulate you on FINALLY getting out in the working world. Lol.

12. Browndriver5

You would think UPS could come up with an idea to push drivers through faster instead of paying someone on pre load $22 an hour after 15 years to sort boxes

13. Jean Paul

Jean Paul New Member

Lmfao na I'm in the good lone star state

14. Jean Paul

Jean Paul New Member

Damn good point. The crazy thing is some veterans had an opportunity to drive but chose no to. Never questioned it tho.

15. 9.5er

9.5er Well-Known Member

Driving on Sat will not get you to a F/T position any sooner. It will, however, help you learn how to use the diad and gain some area knowledge. You will that much farther ahead when you do get the call for F/T.

16. BrownTexas

BrownTexas Well-Known Member

Welcome.

17. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

Every center is different. Give it a shot and hope for the best.

18. Jean Paul

Jean Paul New Member

Thanks