injured, out of work

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I will be out for over a month for an injury outside of work.

I booked off 2 days so far and told mgmt that I will be out for several weeks. When do I need to provide them (sup/manager) with information and doctors note/ER note on the injury?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
alright, thanks again. DIdn't want to have to drive 45 minutes then walk 1/4 mile on crutches to talk to a sup, not the answer I wanted to hear.

Go to you doctor and get your restrictions and take them to your manager and ask for light duty. He will laugh and tell you there is know light duty for an off the job injury and deny your request. Then file for unemployment you can collect this with your disiblity from your local try it you will see.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you kidding us here? File for unemployment for an off the job injury? Why should the state pay you for something that did not happen at or was in any way, shape or form connected to your job? This is what short and/or long term disability, supplemental health insurance and an emergency fund are for.

I do agree with you on the request for light duty. It will more than likely be denied but it is worth asking for.

Are you sure you are a shop steward?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To claim disability insurance you must be unable to work but willing. To claim unemployment you must not have a job but must be in a health condition suitable for a job as soon as you get one. Since both are in contradiction, you may contact your local attorney to help you in this regards. So, can you file for medical disability while collecting unemployment benefits? The answer would be a little tricky. It largely depends on the kind of work that is defined in the programs. Disability insurance is not directly connected to Employment Security Commission. This might be reason enough for you to file for medical disability while collecting unemployment benefits. However, when you file for unemployment you make an unspoken statement that you are ready and available for work (full time) and are willing to find jobs that suit you. On the other hand when you filed for disability, you state that you are unable to work (at all) due to a disability.

These two conditions have a huge disparity between themselves and hence it might be a problem if the Employment Security Commission finds out that you have filed for disability benefits while on unemployment benefits. You may not know but there can be various ways by which the Commission might get to now of this dual benefit that you are receiving.

If you are caught receiving and accepting both benefits, then you will be required to repay all unemployment / disability benefits because you will not be eligible. You could also be charged with fraud.

jimstud

Banned
if you are going to be out of work more than 4 weeks you should also apply for fmla. in 653 when on disability they pay into health and welfare and pension for 4 weeks if you apply for fmla and are approved ups will pay up to 30 weeks into the pension and health and welfare . that is if you are full time.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
if you are going to be out of work more than 4 weeks you should also apply for fmla. in 653 when on disability they pay into health and welfare and pension for 4 weeks if you apply for fmla and are approved ups will pay up to 30 weeks into the pension and health and welfare . that is if you are full time.

Thanks all.

Jim, I went to HR today. I told them i was FT and going to be out at least 3 weeks if not up to 6. They said I was to be put on short-term disabilityuntil the end of May, and will recieve pension and benefits paid into during that time, with no pay.

JonFrum

Under the New England Supplement, (Articles 68 and 69) UPS automatically pays into the Pension and H&W funds for up to four weeks at 40 hours per week for full-time seniority employees on Short-Term Disability. No need for FMLA. This should be enough for anyone to maintain their full benefits, so long as they aren't taking too much unpaid time off otherwise.

How does your Local get UPS to pay for up to 30 weeks into Pension and H&W when FMLA is only 12 weeks at most and doesn't require any pension payments at all?