Injured Workers Forced to Demonstrate Safe Work Methods

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
So you want me to do the same thing that got me injured in the first place, while injured, in slow motion, while not being at 100% capacity to do my job, possibly against doctors orders?

onestoptogo

About five years ago I had a minor backing accident. After going through all the retraining, tests, and safety ride
my on road sup said the final thing I would have to do before I could go back driving was to do a presentation in front of all of the other drivers on 10 point commentary, 5 seeing habits, rules of backing, lifting, ect. I flat out told him no. I told him I will demonstrate to him that I know all of these items, but it is not my job to train other drivers. I told him to go ahead and suspend me for not doing it and I will file a grievance. He caved and I never had to do the presentation. These injured workers are not required to demonstrate to safe work methods to other workers. That is the supervisors job.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
About five years ago I had a minor backing accident. After going through all the retraining, tests, and safety ride
my on road sup said the final thing I would have to do before I could go back driving was to do a presentation in front of all of the other drivers on 10 point commentary, 5 seeing habits, rules of backing, lifting, ect. I flat out told him no. I told him I will demonstrate to him that I know all of these items, but it is not my job to train other drivers. I told him to go ahead and suspend me for not doing it and I will file a grievance. He caved and I never had to do the presentation. These injured workers are not required to demonstrate to safe work methods to other workers. That is the supervisors job.

We call this "growing a pair."

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
1. Forcing the employee to participate in a public demsonstration in front of the work group is a very clear violation of Art 37 of the labor agreement.

2. Performing in public demonstrations is not currently a condition of our employment. If the company wishes to change the conditions of our employment, it needs to do so through the collective bargaining agreement. This is no different from them proclaiming that we must be able to recite the DOK verbatim under threat of disciplinary action. They dont get to make up the rules as they go.

3. If the company's true intention is indeed to "educate" the work group in injury prevention, then a willing participant (i.e safety committee member or management person) would be a far more effective demonstrator for this purpose than an unwilling one.

4. My personal willingess to participate in such a demonstration would be directly proportional to the company's willingess to process my Workmen's Comp claim in a fair and timely manner.

5. Ask me to, and I might. Tell me to, and I wont.

Nimnim

The Nim
When I had my one injury that resulted in stitches I humored them in letting them take pictures of where my hand met the package that entered my body and the general position it was in. They also wanted me to do some sort of talk to my work group, but I never attempted to do this and they didn't push after I was full released to duty. Just push it off and they'll find something else to worry about and forget about it. If they do push ask them where in the terms of employment that you signed or in the contract where you have to do this. Sure they can ask and some will do it, but most have better uses of their time.

" So here's how I was injured. My management team was harassing me on production and forced me to cut corners to get anywhere near what they wanted in hopes of ending the torment............"

And that ends our public demonstration for the day.

cino321

Where in my contract does it state that I have to put on a performance in front of my co-workers?

If I'm demonstrating something to my co-workers you better believe I'm getting training pay.