Injury at Home

fedex_rtd

It's going to depend on your situation and your past sick day usage and fmla usage, or abuse.

If you don't have a history of using all your sick days, or going out for 90 days every other year, odds are they won't make you use all but one week of vacation.

Most locations will have HR make the decision for them so they can avoid the responsibility and appearance of favoritism.

vantexan

Yes you use all your sick day, then floaters/personals/vacation. They will take all but one week of your vacation.
Guy that handles paperwork for FMLA told my mgr that after taking my 5 sick days I was going straight to short term disability. She had me call Aetna and I got my paperwork from them today. On first page they say pain alone doesn't qualify for short term disability. X-ray doesn't show a break, fracture, or fluid in lung. I didn't even have a bruise, which is possible. I was just in pain. Now I'm wondering if I'll get paid. Mgr said they'll take care of me.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Not to add to the confusion, but don't they require us to use vacation time now? I'll have to rummage around for that paper
I just found out a few minutes ago that this is NOT true. I have the paper in my hand. It says you have to use vacation, personals and floaters if you are on UNPAID FMLA-protected absences.

If you are on STD, WC, other pay during the time off such as state disability benefits, or when the employee has only five days of vacation available for the remainder of the fiscal year, they are NOT required to use available paid time off.

The first week though, before STD kicks in, you DO have to use your sick days.

SmithBarney

Well the difference here is Injury at Home vs Injury at work, if you are on STD due to a work related injury, workmans comp takes over, if you are out on FMLA injury at home, then the all but 5days vacation rules take over..

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Well the difference here is Injury at Home vs Injury at work, if you are on STD due to a work related injury, workmans comp takes over, if you are out on FMLA injury at home, then the all but 5days vacation rules take over..
Not true. If you are home for a surgery or injury for which you are eligible for STD, you only have to use your five sick days the first week. The key words here are UNPAID and PAID time. That's what we all missed. They won't touch your vacation if you're on paid leave.

vantexan

Not true. If you are home for a surgery or injury for which you are eligible for STD, you only have to use your five sick days the first week. The key words here are UNPAID and PAID time. That's what we all missed. They won't touch your vacation if you're on paid leave.
So if Aetna denies my claim I can still use vacation if I choose?

ILuvPandas

Guy that handles paperwork for FMLA told my mgr that after taking my 5 sick days I was going straight to short term disability. She had me call Aetna and I got my paperwork from them today. On first page they say pain alone doesn't qualify for short term disability. X-ray doesn't show a break, fracture, or fluid in lung. I didn't even have a bruise, which is possible. I was just in pain. Now I'm wondering if I'll get paid. Mgr said they'll take care of me.

X-rays won't show if it's a herniated disc .
Do you have shooting pain down your legs?
If it doesn't improve make sure you get an MRI
I had to try really hard to get my doctor to order am MRI because of course they aren't cheap.

vantexan

X-rays won't show if it's a herniated disc .
Do you have shooting pain down your legs?
If it doesn't improve make sure you get an MRI
I had to try really hard to get my doctor to order am MRI because of course they aren't cheap.
Still hurts a little but have been back to work since last Thursday. Had to write a request to use vacation time for 3 days not covered by sick days. Not a spinal issue, just found out the hard way to be more careful on a wet floor.