Injury!

Overpaid Union Thug

So, I slipped on the ice under the snow on someone's sidewalk the other day, and crashed down on my knee. Called it in and finished my day. Couldn't walk the next day, however, so I'm off on work comp till Monday at least. Hoping I just bruised the bone. Already feeling a bit better, but I will see how it feels by this weekend.
Went in this morning and signed off on forms, so now I suppose I must guarantee a bunch of office boys I will never fall on ice again. Right. At least not until next time. Kind of like sending a soldier of to war and telling him he will be disciplined if he gets hurt. Or a football player he will be suspended if he gets injured. We can do only so much to reduce injuries, but they will never be %100 prevented... unless we wear steel cleats on our boot. Then you'll get fired for scratching up someone's deck.
One no-win situation after the next.

But your center has a "SAFETY COMMITTEE" so how on could you have possibly been injured!?!?!?!?!?!?

S

selfcancelsignal

I always do a choppy shuffle when it gets icy. "Why are you so far over?" "I was adjusting to changing conditions."

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Correct....and you're entitled to up to 40 days of TAW before they can make you go out on comp.

This is not true. You are not "entitled" to anything----you may be "offered" up to 30 days of TAW (light duty). Light duty cannot exceed 30 days at which point you would either go on comp (if work related) or STD (if off-duty).

Indecisi0n

Like said above, TAW. Why are you using YOUR option days while you got hurt? They still have to give you your 8 hrs for at least 30 days (some supplements 40 I think).

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
This is not true. You are not "entitled" to anything----you may be "offered" up to 30 days of TAW (light duty). Light duty cannot exceed 30 days at which point you would either go on comp (if work related) or STD (if off-duty).
They don't have to offer you TAW.
So Dave, is it your contention that the company can pick and choose which on the job injured employees can go on TAW, without any regard for the doctors instructions and restrictions?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Pack mule,
You don't have to, nor should you use vacation time to facilitate your recovery for an on the job injury.
If you aren't on TAW, you are on workers comp.
Per the contract, if you are on comp, you can even reschedule vacation time that falls during this period to a later date once you return to work.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
1403.gif

You didn't seriously sign off on forms stating that this kind of thing would never happen again, did you?

Packmule

No. Just their standard 5 keys to slips and falls training forms. It's just those forms don't say reduce they say prevent.

Packmule

Pack mule,
You don't have to, nor should you use vacation time to facilitate your recovery for an on the job injury.
If you aren't on TAW, you are on workers comp.
Per the contract, if you are on comp, you can even reschedule vacation time that falls during this period to a later date once you return to work.
It's my not wanting to tap into savings and or my ignorance of workmanship comp that motivates me. Not sure how it all works in first week or so, just assume in the long run you get stigmatized by UPS and any future employers.

Ouch

They don't have to offer you TAW.
Having too and willing to Is about the same thing here. The comp doc will give you restrictions to prevent it from being an out of work injury. If ups can offer you light duty it makes the injury not look as bad in osha's eyes. 28 days of taw are offered here. The op really needs to contact a lawyer. I would never trust the company when it comes to an injury well or anything else for that matter. I mean your using option days so if you have to call in at later dates they can document it as an attendance problem after you are out of days. CALL A LAWYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So Dave, is it your contention that the company can pick and choose which on the job injured employees can go on TAW, without any regard for the doctors instructions and restrictions?
Dave is actually correct, it does happen. I had a return to full duty note from my doctor (the ups affiliated doctor) and the DM still made me stay on TAW.

HBGPreloader

They brought me into watch videos and go through all that today. Paid me for it, and would have given me some light duty stuff but not much you can do on crutches. Burning two days of my floating week next two days. Wish they would let you change a vacation like they used to do in the good old days. Just gets me the way they think their safety stuff can totally prevent everything. It never has and it never will.
You shouldn't be burning any of your personal time for an injury that occurred on their time.

rod

Retired 22 years
Most Important thing is to make copies of all paperwork and records of all phone calls. Never give up an only copy of anything. If they tell you you can't do something get it in writing. Believe it or not your management team is NOT qualified to make medical decisions for you even though everyone of them will try. At the first sign that UPS or Liberty Mutual is screwing with you (it normally don't take long) hire a work comp lawyer. Work comp is an up hill battle. They make it that way to discourage people from filling bogus claims. Unfortunately a few bad apples have made it real difficult for those with legitimate work comp claims to get what they deserve. Good luck.