Insane weather...from snow to floods

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How do you function in upstate New York without tire chains? You get 10X as much snow as we do, around here a few inches is a big deal. Is your route all on flat land?

Our highway departments do an excellent job. I have had both country and city runs and, yeah, have never had to chain up.

You will notice I did not say I have never been stuck in my 23 years.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
It was challenging here as well. it was cold in the mornings,but in the afternoons it was warm,so i never knew if i could get away with wearing shorts all day,or should i wear pants in the morning and change into shorts in the afternoon.

moreluck

golden ticket member
It was challenging here as well. it was cold in the mornings,but in the afternoons it was warm,so i never knew if i could get away with wearing shorts all day,or should i wear pants in the morning and change into shorts in the afternoon.
Life is just full of trials and tribulations and the decisions can drive you insane!!

brownedout

Love those full-tire chains. Still dealing with the single strand chain in these parts. The newer ones do bite the ice/snow better, however they do the same to tires.

ups1990

Sober ups, again and again I'm amazed at how drivers from the NW and NE are able to do this job in such snowstorms, considering how this job is difficult enough without having to worry about the weather. Awesome pictures.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sober ups, again and again I'm amazed at how drivers from the NW and NE are able to do this job in such snowstorms, considering how this job is difficult enough without having to worry about the weather. Awesome pictures.

I guess its one of those "country mouse vs. city mouse" deals. A few years back I took my family down to Disneyland and spent a few days dealing with Los Angeles traffic. I remember thinking that there was NO FREAKING WAY that I could EVER function as a UPS driver in Southern California. To me, that place is just one big gigantic traffic jam with gridlocked freeways as far as the eye could see. I would lose my mind if you stuck me in a package car and told me to run a route down there. I'm a country boy.

klein

Für Meno :)
I guess its one of those "country mouse vs. city mouse" deals. A few years back I took my family down to Disneyland and spent a few days dealing with Los Angeles traffic. I remember thinking that there was NO FREAKING WAY that I could EVER function as a UPS driver in Southern California. To me, that place is just one big gigantic traffic jam with gridlocked freeways as far as the eye could see. I would lose my mind if you stuck me in a package car and told me to run a route down there. I'm a country boy.

Well, atleast they have streets in California !
Now try that same traffic with sidewalk space of streets in Europe !

It's tough just to drive a car there.
I did get my drivers licence in Germany, but don't think I could do it as easily again !
It wasn't actually easy - but compared to today, yeah - kind of !

And yes, they get snow there, too !

enge-strasse_bl.jpg

engestrasse.jpg

1562361329_f6934301dc.jpg

images

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sober, there is a highway called the Beltway which goes around D.C. and we saw 5 or 6 pkg cars which were stuck in rush hour traffic and were not moving. I have to give each of the drivers credit as none of them appeared to be frustrated which tells me this is something that they deal with on a daily basis. I'm with you--that would drive me crazy.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
In New England,we have the equipment and salt to handle this weather!! We have had Blizzards in April ,light snow in as early as May !! We got hit with a suprise snow in Oct 2011 and cause black out because leaves were still on trees!!
the differnce is we are more used to these conditions which makes it a little easier,but you still are on edge.
If your not,you shouldn't be driving !! there are many nights I use that prayer of please God get me outtah this and i will change !! especially in a feeder comming down an icey hill !!

brownrod

Our highway departments do an excellent job. I have had both country and city runs and, yeah, have never had to chain up.

You will notice I did not say I have never been stuck in my 23 years.

Where I am at in the pacific northwest it is not cost effective for cities to own snow removal equipment. Snow is too rare. So when we get snow everything shuts down. Because overnights the snow turns to pure ice and the roads are too dangerous to drive on! But we typically only deal with that every few years. for about a week or two at most.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Where I am at in the pacific northwest it is not cost effective for cities to own snow removal equipment. Snow is too rare. So when we get snow everything shuts down. Because overnights the snow turns to pure ice and the roads are too dangerous to drive on! But we typically only deal with that every few years. for about a week or two at most.

I was stationed in Texas (Lubbock) for 4 years and it was funny to watch the locals try to drive on snow or ice.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Of all the time I've lived in snow country.....the best street clearing was in Salt Lake City. They are really good at it!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
stuck.jpg

This seemed like a good idea at the time. This driveway only started out at about 4 inches deep. When it got to a foot that's when the fun started.
stuck.jpg

over9five

Staff member
TOTAL WHITEOUT CONDITIONS HERE!

OK, maybe not, but I do see maybe an inch of snow on the ground and it's still lightly falling. Supposed to turn to rain soon.

rod

Retired 22 years
My daughter in Texas is on her 5th day being more or less trapped in her house with 3 kids. Her mother-in-law who lives about 5 miles away is still without power. At one time 250,000 people were without electricity. My son-in-law did make it about 10 blocks to a store but he said the shelves were just about empty. He was lucky enough to score some Mac and Cheese so they will survive. They were lucky their power never went out. My grand kids are loving it.