Inside Operations Question?

wage EARNER

I believe the reason the chains are being replace with spring gates had to do with training modules. During our last Ketter audit, the auditor's pointed out that in the current training videos, there is no training to properly secure the 'thumb' hook on the end of the chain guard. Without proper training, the 'thumb' hooks, and chains cannot be used. And must therefore be replace with spring-loaded gates(which require no training as per OSHA §1910.23(a)(2)

jaker

trolling
I have noticed that the upper platforms in the buildings in my area are having the chains removed and these yellow gates are replacing them.

These chains have been around for years. I always thought they were a little cheesy and inadequate.

Does anyone know what brought this change about?

Did someone get hurt?

Sincerely,
I
Nnnnnnnooooooooo

Integrity

Binge Poster
Someone deemed them inadequate for safety and as such when the chains need to be fixed at my location they're just replacing them with the gates you described. As far as I know no one got hurt, but myself I never felt safe with them. Some of the chains went down to my mid thigh so if I got knocked back into them I was probably going over.
Nimnim,

Who deemed them inadequate, do you know?

The chains are apparently substandard to OSHA requirements and have been for some time.

Sincerely,
I

Nimnim

The Nim
Nimnim,

Who deemed them inadequate, do you know?

The chains are apparently substandard to OSHA requirements and have been for some time.

Sincerely,
I

I don't know who deemed it. I talked to the safety sup on my shift one day a few months ago and they told me they were being replaced with the gates instead of being repaired. When something like this happens unless some serious situation that either gets news attention or travel through the feeder network it's some bureaucratic decision that isn't entertaining enough for people to pass along.

Mack Grant

I have noticed that the upper platforms in the buildings in my area are having the chains removed and these yellow gates are replacing them.

These chains have been around for years. I always thought they were a little cheesy and inadequate.

Does anyone know what brought this change about?

Did someone get hurt?

Sincerely,
I
They're safety upgrades I. There used to not be any restraint on the platforms at all.

wage EARNER

According to the story I heard, someone was climbing down one of these ladders one day when the hook at the end of the chain snagged their belt. The employee then lost his footing on the ladder and fell, only to be caught by the hook and chain. This was a rather large and heavy employee, so the fire department had to come out and unhook him from the ladder. Do to the position in which he was left hanging until the fire department arrived, he suffered severe injuries from the 'wedgie' and brought a lawsuit against the company. Which resulted in a safety audit and gates being installed to comply with OSHA.

I believe the issue of not properly training employees on the use of the 'thumb' hook was a story management spread to avoid the embarrassment regarding the injury and lawsuit.