insipidtoasts thread of questions

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
heck, i was 10 years older than you when i started. work hard but dont be a runner and a gunner.

use the methods they train you with. they actually work.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Nope, no benefits whatsoever. On-call. No union representation or protection for the first 90 worked days. Only guaranteed one-day per week of work.

Parcel delivery isn't nearly as bad as mail delivery in my opinion, because you don't have to spend hours organizing papers.

Yes, there's a lot to be said for dealing with management. Bad managers can make an otherwise easy job a very unpleasant experience.

How is the management at UPS? Are they trained to give positive reinforcement at all? For myself and most people for that matter, I perform better when management compliments how I'm doing. I can't stand to be in a negative environment, and now understand why people go postal. Telling people that they're not fast enough is the stupidest management technique, because it lowers morale and often acheives the opposite of the desired result. That's psychologically proven.

When I worked as a driver helper, I received lots of praise for a job well-done, which motivated me to go faster and have a more positive attitude towards the job.

I'm going to give you the lowdown about life that your parents obviously did you a disservice and never taught you.
1. Life ain't fair. Never has been, never will be.

2. Everyone doesn't get a trophy. There ARE winners and losers.

3. Everyone isn't going to play nice. Suck it up and deal with it.

4. Only the strong succeed. The weak just survive. Which will you be?

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
heck, i was 10 years older than you when i started. work hard but dont be a runner and a gunner.

use the methods they train you with. they actually work.
The methods are only the used for safety purposes, production and methods have never worked togetherIMO.

raceanoncr

Was an, overweight (not by much) heavy equipment operator when I started off the street as a package driver at 31. Went to feeders after a few years and am happily retired with one neck fusion, two knee arthos, two complete hip replacements.

Any questions?

Rainman

Its all good.
I worked with two different drivers( both retired now) who started at age 35. Things are different now than they were a few years ago, I agree, but in some cases better.
The equipment is far better then what we had years ago. Some of the old cars are still around, but will shortly be scrapped. Hand trucks are better designed than they were back then.
The safety training is totally different, as far as what we are practicing now. We've always been taught Safe Work Methods and Space and Visibility training, but years ago we weren't held accountable to practice it like we do now.
In the old days, if a supervisor saw you, And you didn't run and jump when you left the car, the least you got was a dirty look. Now if you do that you get a warning letter.
Like the other posters said, use the training provided, take care of your body, and practice a little common sense and you will be fine.
As far as dealing with negativity, that's a constant. If your feelings get hurt easily this is not the place for you. You have to be thick skinned here. The important thing to remember is not to take things personally. Most of the garbage we have to deal with isn't meant personally. It's just the way the company works.
Whether or not this job is right for you only you can decide.
Good luck.

I worked with two different drivers( both retired now) who started at age 35. Things are different now than they were a few years ago, I agree, but in some cases better.
The equipment is far better then what we had years ago. Some of the old cars are still around, but will shortly be scrapped. Hand trucks are better designed than they were back then.
The safety training is totally different, as far as what we are practicing now. We've always been taught Safe Work Methods and Space and Visibility training, but years ago we weren't held accountable to practice it like we do now.
In the old days, if a supervisor saw you, And you didn't run and jump when you left the car, the least you got was a dirty look. Now if you do that you get a warning letter.
Like the other posters said, use the training provided, take care of your body, and practice a little common sense and you will be fine.
As far as dealing with negativity, that's a constant. If your feelings get hurt easily this is not the place for you. You have to be thick skinned here. The important thing to remember is not to take things personally. Most of the garbage we have to deal with isn't meant personally. It's just the way the company works.
Whether or not this job is right for you only you can decide.
Good luck.
The low steps and power steering is a big plus. The only problem now is,the packages are double the size and weight.

I'm moving soon, and want to apply for a package handler job at UPS. Now is the time to apply, and the tour/interview is on Tuesday. I haven't setup residency where I plan to move yet, so I don't have a driver license for that state. Would they hire someone from Out of State?

T

Turdferguson

I'm moving soon, and want to apply for a package handler job at UPS. Now is the time to apply, and the tour/interview is on Tuesday. I haven't setup residency where I plan to move yet, so I don't have a driver license for that state. Would they hire someone from Out of State?

Why would you want bland tasteless toast?