Instructed to Deliver Damages???

I can just hear the District conference call now.
DM: We are having way too many damaged packages on the reports. We (meaning you) have to reduce these numbers, they are not acceptable.
center manager: We can't help how many packages are damaged while in the feeders.
DM: If you can't do it, I'll find someone that can.
ALL CMs in unison: YES SIR! (with the sounds of heels snapping together)

Now the CMs figure that a damaged package delivered is a package not on the damage report......today.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I for one, am not surprised at all at the amount of packages that get beat up during the unloading, sorting and re-loading process. I have worked on the local sort for 2 1/2 years now and have both caused, and seen quite a few damaged packages. Management wants me to unload ~ 50 trucks a night, pull them outside and be done within 3 hours. Okay, in that situation...shortcuts are going to be taken, its just inevitable. When I unload I might get a jam at the bottom of the unloader, and in the process of freeing the stuck boxes...the box gets damaged, but the contents are just fine. Now as far as packages being annihilated that happens in our center whenever the outbound gets backed up, and the conveyors that bring the boxes to them get jammed up, and the boxes fall 20-25 feet down to the concrete floor. ouch

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
When I was in package there were deliver no damage signs posted in every pkg/cah also if I knew the customer well and it looked mangled I would open it and let him/her make the call if it was a keeper. If customer didn't want it I would re/tape and refuse.. caution..... dont let him walk away to to show any one I kept that bundle in my site the whole time!!!!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
What some customers dont understand is why is a ups pkg damaged more often than a fedex pkg... because we move 15 million a day to their 4 still no excuse for some of these damages.. lots of times it start off in the out bound feeder where someone dosn't care and just chucks it in there..we brick load for a reason .. its amazing watching these college kids put a 50lb case of paper on top of a 3lb pkge !

over9five

Staff member
No Covemastah, its the feeda drivah hittin too many potholes cuz he has to stahp fah coffee every rest areah!!!!!!!!!!!!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I can just hear the District conference call now.
DM: We are having way too many damaged packages on the reports. We (meaning you) have to reduce these numbers, they are not acceptable.
center manager: We can't help how many packages are damaged while in the feeders.
DM: If you can't do it, I'll find someone that can.
ALL CMs in unison: YES SIR! (with the sounds of heels snapping together)

Now the CMs figure that a damaged package delivered is a package not on the damage report......today.

Ha Ha Ha....you hit it dead on!

ups gave you a cell phone? ill send a diad msg if they want and wait for a response (usually 30 minutes or so)

Or never! I've sent messages that have yet to be responded to.

No Covemastah, its the feeda drivah hittin too many potholes cuz he has to stahp fah coffee every rest areah!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you pretending to be cove, Matt or Ben?:happy-very:

brown bomber

brown bomber
Sat...have to concur regarding condition of pkgs. loaded in the car...I pitch a few out every week, then march down to the center manager and ask why are they loaded....I get the usual reply "We'll get back to you and make it right"...I'm still waiting

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
on top of that it pisses me off when my roll of tape disappears..therefore I cannot fix the hidden preload damages

I had my mechanic install a rack at the front of the 3000 shelf. I keep all my supplies, asd's, notices, overweight stickers, etc.. here as well as my tape gun, which is buried in the asd's. There are plenty of hiding spots, find one and use it or you'll end up picking up a pkg and the contents spill all over.

Just today my preloader tells me that a bottle of bleach leaked all over the car. He never informed a supe, just tried to clean it up himself. I had boxes with white stains on em. Had to explain to customers all day about the discolored boxes and had them make sure their merchandise was okay.

satellitedriver

I had my mechanic install a rack at the front of the 3000 shelf. I keep all my supplies, asd's, notices, overweight stickers, etc.. here as well as my tape gun, which is buried in the asd's. There are plenty of hiding spots, find one and use it or you'll end up picking up a pkg and the contents spill all over.

Just today my preloader tells me that a bottle of bleach leaked all over the car. He never informed a supe, just tried to clean it up himself. I had boxes with white stains on em. Had to explain to customers all day about the discolored boxes and had them make sure their merchandise was okay.
Hey a first, the back of the pkg car was disinfected.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Thanks for the info and all the responses on my current issue. I was told by other management that it was up to the center manager and they were just enforcing the new UPS Law. I guess I will be selective on what I bring back to the center but if the contents are gone aint no way I am going to leave that package. You who have been around for awhile know Ups is flavor of the month, but recently it is now flavor of the week.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
steve...I would have brought every one of those pkgs. back..and informed MGT... via the DIAD for each and every pkg

Turned out okay, bb, though I get the drift. I had customers open any box that was wet, even a little bit wet. Made sure all merchandise was okay.....worked 10 hours. Worked out well for everyone. I will confer with the preloader and his supe on Monday.

ups gave you a cell phone? ill send a diad msg if they want and wait for a response (usually 30 minutes or so)
Sure, don't they provide them everywhere? Actually I do DIAD msg them on most things, but there are a few that I will either use a customers phone or my personal (that I pay for) cell phone. I do that because it makes MY life easier.

nobber

The Corporate procedure is to record as missed, and have the clerk write up a damage report. I know coz I wrote the procedure. We don't deliver damaged packages.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The Corporate procedure is to record as missed, and have the clerk write up a damage report. I know coz I wrote the procedure. We don't deliver damaged packages.

Here in Upstate NY we have been instructed by our District Damages Guru to sheet as Future and bring back for processing.

No way in hell I will record a damaged package as MISSED. If you indeed wrote the procedure, you wrote a bogus piece of crap. A MISSED package is viewed as a SERVICE FAILURE on the driver and no way should a driver be held accountable for not delivering a damaged package.