Insubordination!!!!!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Get real, your not going to get fired on a first offense.

REally? I wonder if you would care to site your source? I know of at least two that have, and several more that did get their jobs back, but with anywhere from 3 days to 4 weeks suspension, and no back pay. All from the "first offense".

What you dont care to realize is that the interpretation of insubordination is a bit broad, and depending on management, they can be very strict about the way they interpret it. And it only takes once. Like stealing from the company or any other dishonest act.

Now, you get fired, they decide to make you the poster child for good reasons not to argue. You end up in front of an arbitrator, and the only thing he will be interested in is "did the sup instruct you to do this job?" "and what was your answer?" That is the essence of insubordination, I uphold the termination. End of story.

And with some sups, once you have an employee show insubordination, then others tend to follow suit, and you lose control of your workforce.

As for part time sups, dont let the fact that they are only part time fool you into thinking they are little midgets without the power or authority to terminate a full time employee. They are what they are, a sup at UPS. The hours they work matters not.

Bottom line is this, with the information posted, the sup was within his rights, did not do so in any abusive manner, told the employee to help across the belt. Your refusal prompted him to get into your face, not appropriate behavior for sure, but it beats "your fired".

Your job at UPS? Work as instructed when instructed, regardless of if it your job, in your classification, whether or not you are done with your work or not etc etc etc. Your reasons for not following instructions really does not matter. They can and will terminate.

And that also follows, just because the guy working next to you has told the sup no several times in the past, does not mean you will get by with it.

d

Last edited:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The condensed version:
My question is: Is insubordination a real rule?

You bet it is. Covered under the contract very well

Is it something that i can be fired for?

Without question the answer is yes, and even after only one offense.

Can the friend/t sup get in my face like that?

Well, you did refuse to work as instructed. His other option was to let you know you were relieved from duty? Put yourself in his place?

i personally think it was all BS and i dont like the way i was treated.

Things happen during the rush to get the preload down. Time is of the essence. You personally think the conversation was BS? What about the sup telling you to help across the belt and you refused. Is that not BS? And what about the way you treated him?

Maybe you need a reality check. This is not someone asking you if you want your happy meal upsized, it is a member of management instructing you to work as instructed and you refused. That is the way they would have presented your case at the panel, your feelings getting hurt.......well, I am sure they would really care.

Next time, smile and say, sure, glad to. After all, you are being paid?

d

tieguy

Banned
Yeah, because in the real world UPS is so fire happy with preloaders. Especially with the way they are just breaking the door down to get hired!

Get real, your not going to get fired on a first offense.

Now I'm not saying not to work as directed but I question stupid work assignments all the time as a driver. We all do. Usually involves the part time dispatch supervisor who has absolutely no area knowledge making stupid add/cuts.

UPS crowing achievement was taking dispatch out of the onroads hands.

Don't let your desire to rebut everything I say cause you to give bad advice to someone. There is no first or second offense when you blatantly refuse to follow a sups instructions. Your on very thin ice as many here from different walks of ups have also told the man.

WhatPCM

Insubordinator
OK OK OK. I get the point. I cannot believe what i have started. I guess I hit a sore spot with everyone. Thank you everyone for all your info. next time will not think. just work. ha ha. No really thanks I will work on curbing myself with the sup from now on.

sx2700

Banned
I dont know. I might get harrashed and have to threaten to leave the forum.

HAHAHA!!!!! Let's hear it anyway. Just remember "work as directed"....unless you are a driver, then you whine and cry until somebody else takes half your work off you.

WhatPCM

Insubordinator
Ok so same start time again today. But we had two more trailers than yesterday. We had our butts handed to us all morning long. Both sides this morning were backed up, stacked up, not over shoulder height though. Had a big push from the loader ahead of me. About 15 packages fell onto the floor. I got very frustrated walked up and shut the belt off. The friend/t sup came down asked me why i shut the belt off. I told him that the packages had jammed up and fallen off the rollers(this all while i was picking up the large pile of boxes on the floor). I told him that it was an unsafe working condition, and that per the methods that they taught us. That if we need to break a jam the correct procedure is to shut the belt off, break the jam, and turn the belt back on. He then told me i was getting a warning letter and walked back up to the switch and started the belt back up. So ok let me have it. What did i do wrong this time?

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
...The friend/t sup came down asked me why i shut the belt off. I told him that the packages had jammed up and fallen off the rollers(this all while i was picking up the large pile of boxes on the floor). I told him that it was an unsafe working condition, and that per the methods that they taught us. That if we need to break a jam the correct procedure is to shut the belt off, break the jam, and turn the belt back on. He then told me i was getting a warning letter and walked back up to the switch and started the belt back up....

That is not EXACTLY what happenned....

drewed

Shankman
Ok so same start time again today. But we had two more trailers than yesterday. We had our butts handed to us all morning long. Both sides this morning were backed up, stacked up, not over shoulder height though. Had a big push from the loader ahead of me. About 15 packages fell onto the floor. I got very frustrated walked up and shut the belt off. The friend/t sup came down asked me why i shut the belt off. I told him that the packages had jammed up and fallen off the rollers(this all while i was picking up the large pile of boxes on the floor). I told him that it was an unsafe working condition, and that per the methods that they taught us. That if we need to break a jam the correct procedure is to shut the belt off, break the jam, and turn the belt back on. He then told me i was getting a warning letter and walked back up to the switch and started the belt back up. So ok let me have it. What did i do wrong this time?

my question is why were you so willing to help this time????