Insurance?? Free??

UnloaderAM

I've got a couple of questions about the insurance at UPS.

First of all: I am still on my parents insurance (since I'm in college) and was wondering if there is a way to NOT be on UPS's insurance?

Second: I have heard that UPS's insurance is free. Is this true?

Third: What would be some of your recommendations regarding UPS's insurance?

Any help is appreciated as I have to decide by Friday what I am going to do.

drewed

Shankman
I've got a couple of questions about the insurance at UPS.

First of all: I am still on my parents insurance (since I'm in college) and was wondering if there is a way to NOT be on UPS's insurance?

Second: I have heard that UPS's insurance is free. Is this true?

Third: What would be some of your recommendations regarding UPS's insurance?

Any help is appreciated as I have to decide by Friday what I am going to do.

no, why wouldnt you want to be double covered? if you want your parents to pay for everything just dont tell them you have it, you wont get paid more if you decline it

yes its free, makes up for your low wage

what kind of recommendations are you looking for? keep it? yes its free!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have actually suggested this before but his question gives me the opportunity to bring it up again. I think UPS should offer 2 wage schedules, one for employees who wish to take the insurance and one for those who are already covered by another plan or by their parents' insurance. However, having 2 insurances should mean that you should have zero out of pocket as you would submit the bill to one insurance and then the balance to the other.

The premium of the insurance is paid for but there is a deductible.

drewed

Shankman
I have actually suggested this before but his question gives me the opportunity to bring it up again. I think UPS should offer 2 wage schedules, one for employees who wish to take the insurance and one for those who are already covered by another plan or by their parents' insurance. However, having 2 insurances should mean that you should have zero out of pocket as you would submit the bill to one insurance and then the balance to the other.

The premium of the insurance is paid for but there is a deductible.

knowing UPS if that happened they do it for one contract round then in the next one youd be paying the premiums

UnloaderAM

what kind of recommendations are you looking for? keep it? yes its free!

LOL!!!! Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated. My mom's been annoying the hell out of me to get off my ass and figure this thing out. She was the one that wanted to know if I couldn't be on UPS's insurance. Personally, after looking at the insurance, I don't see why you wouldn't want to be on it. Looks great. One last question. Is there anywhere I can find out what network (bluecross, atena) I would fall under? I'm assuming I might just have to call to figure that one out though.

SmithBarney

Why does your mom want you off UPS's insurance...
There is only Good to be had by having double coverage..
or she could drop you, and save some coin for awhile..
unless she's doing something illegal, but I can't imagine what
benefit she'd have, unless it has to do with collecting alimony or
school loans?

drewed

Shankman
LOL!!!! Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated. My mom's been annoying the hell out of me to get off my ass and figure this thing out. She was the one that wanted to know if I couldn't be on UPS's insurance. Personally, after looking at the insurance, I don't see why you wouldn't want to be on it. Looks great. One last question. Is there anywhere I can find out what network (bluecross, atena) I would fall under? I'm assuming I might just have to call to figure that one out though.

ummm i believe the pt timers are still under aetna but when you got you insurance card/packet it should be all over that?

filthpig

Chances are that once you got the ups job with the insurance, your coverage under your parents' policy ended. That's usually the way it works.

BrownSuit

This is somewhat the case for Non-Union Employees, but is mainly intended for situations where they would be covered by Spouses or Military Experience.

Keep in mind Insurance isn't free for Non-Union folk.

UnloaderAM

Why does your mom want you off UPS's insurance...There is only Good to be had by having double coverage..
or she could drop you, and save some coin for awhile..
unless she's doing something illegal, but I can't imagine what
benefit she'd have, unless it has to do with collecting alimony or
school loans?

She was concerned about having any conflicts between the two insurances. I personally don't really give a hoot and didn't (still don't) think there would be any problems. Double coverage sounds real good to me:wink2:. Its just in her nature to nag at you until you get an issue solved. I didn't really plan on looking at the insurance packet till the last minute (thats how I operate) and she wanted it done sooner (thus the nagging). She's still concerned though so I'm gonna be off her insurance and get on UPS's insurance.

filthpig

This is somewhat the case for Non-Union Employees, but is mainly intended for situations where they would be covered by Spouses or Military Experience.

Keep in mind Insurance isn't free for Non-Union folk.

It's not going to be free for any of us for too much longer. We're going to have to start footing some of the bill (as are govt. employees and others who get free insurance) simply because no company can afford to keep paying for it at this rate.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's not going to be free for any of us for too much longer. We're going to have to start footing some of the bill (as are govt. employees and others who get free insurance) simply because no company can afford to keep paying for it at this rate.

I would assume that they can't change anything until 2013.

drewed

Shankman
I would assume that they can't change anything until 2013.

yea, and theyll probably make it like the sups coverage you get so many credits and that gets you the basics and if you want lower deductibles or more coverage on dental more life insurance whatever, you can move around the credits and add on to them at your cost

UnloaderAM

One last final question. If I just want the basic plan should I still call to confirm that? In the packet it says if you don't call within a certain time limit (Friday for me) they automatically assign you the basic plan. Thats exactly what I want so should I still call and sign up for that or should I let them do it for me?

Also, a bit off topic, but if you have Direct deposit shouldn't you still receive a pay stub? I haven't gotten one yet (sup said he's looking into it) and was wondering if I can call this same number I was given in the health insurance packet and receive an answer for that. Again thanks for all the help thus far, it is greatly appreciated.

MarePare

Also, a bit off topic, but if you have Direct deposit shouldn't you still receive a pay stub? I haven't gotten one yet (sup said he's looking into it) and was wondering if I can call this same number I was given in the health insurance packet and receive an answer for that. Again thanks for all the help thus far, it is greatly appreciated.

If you go to upsers.com, click on the My Life and Career tab. Then click on the link to view your Direct Deposit Account. Once on the direct deposit window that pops up, click on the Pay Advice Print Option. This lets you pick if you want a paper copy or not (it looks just like the normal checks). It says on the site that it is sent to your home address, but when I used to get a paper copy the sups just handed them out with the regular paychecks each week. Hope this helps!

BrownSuit

You should, but as was pointed out goto UPSers. Make sure you check your address information.

Believe it or not, not everybody receives a pay stub. There's no rhyme or reason sometimes. The company provides the information on UPSers so it fulfills it's legal obligation (There should be computers at your center to access it, submit SLIM leads, etc).

Also, your paychecks are usually viewable 2 days prior on UPSers.

drewed

Shankman
You should, but as was pointed out goto UPSers. Make sure you check your address information.

Believe it or not, not everybody receives a pay stub. There's no rhyme or reason sometimes. The company provides the information on UPSers so it fulfills it's legal obligation (There should be computers at your center to access it, submit SLIM leads, etc).

Also, your paychecks are usually viewable 2 days prior on UPSers.

well when you sign up for direct deposit you have the option for PAPERLESS (you wouldnt recieve one, just get the one off of upsers), i think its actually the default choosing