insurance

W

who me

ja4079 said:
I just called our wonderful insurance to find out what if anything they pay on colonoscopy, only if you have colon cancer and are dying will they cover it of course after you have met your deductible, if it is a baseline for those of us that are 50 and recomended. Our doctor charges 1330.00 Now why will they not cover preventative, don't understand why they would rather pay more later!!!!!! Once again our union has done us in with this insurance and pension mess! We used to have the best now we have the worst.
Yes the insurance coverage has gotten worse over the years,but we still don't have to pay for it(yet). Everyone else I know that has insurance through their job must pay out of pocket.

ja4079

ja4079
the reason I wanted to get one is because I am 52 and they say everyone should have a baseline at 50 so they know what to look for in case you start to have problems, and most of the time you don't know you are sick until it is to late!!! I think our insurance would be more proactive and in courgage more prevention, would cost all a lot less

aspenleaf

Out of the 3 levels of prevention (primary, secondary & tertiary) our country spends the most health care dollars on tertiary prevention (which makes no sense since tertiary prevention is just an attempt to reduce the impact of a condition or problem that should have been caught in the primary or secondary stages). Since many ins. companies will not cover preventative treatments so patients don't know they have a problem until it is too late. Or they may suspect they have a problem but don't want to find out. Our health care system is really messed up and I wish we could fix it. No one should die because they could not afford a simple screening and therefore end up with colon cancer.

I like the commercials for Kaiser about people walking more and losing fat on the beach or taking the stairs. <O:p

trickpony1

My wife is in the health care industry.
She says that at some point in the future insurance companies will charge higher premiums if you are overweight, if you smoke or drink or otherwise live an unhealthy life style.
She thinks the insurance companies as well as the American economy and health systems are tired of supporting and enabling unhealthy habits and the individual will shoulder more of the responsibility.
It's about time.

aspenleaf

I will remember that next time my overweight, smoking doctor tells me something.:wink: The whole system is a mess and the economy helped create some of the issues we are now fighting. Such as the super sizing of America, hey for only .39 cents extra you can have a triple bypass by age 50! It also costs much more to eat healthy. We have the US economy putting vending machines in our schools to give the schools money but our teens are becoming overweight. If people chose to be unhealthy then maybe they should pay more. I just don’t think we should create the issues as a country and then bail on people when they become something we don’t like or approve of.

DS

Fenderbender
Except for the obvious symptoms of living a bad lifestyle,like smoking and drinking a lot,theres no way for doctors to know what youve done to your body until they do tests.Tests cost time and money as much as actual surgery.If the guy that served 3 tours of duty in nam was a smoker ,and he`s now retired and is showing signs of cancer,what do you tell him,sorry you don`t qualify?I think that the USA should establish a working plan that gives every American citizen (with a birth certificate)the full use of a pre planned health care program.Your newcomers may have to get family help from home,or go back and get medical care in thier own country.Let us Canadians take over in Afghanistan when Bush finally realizes he`s getting old,and put your money to better use.

trickpony1

Is it true that Canada offers the same health care for it's people regardless of income?
Is it also true that the health care in Canada isn't "for profit" as it is in the US?
If so, any suggestions as to how we might implement the Canadian system in the US?

traveler

Where next? Venice
Don't be fooled! Canada has major problems with its healthcare system and many Canadians come the the good old USA for treatment and operations. Ask any Canadian how long the waiting list is for things like gall bladder surgery and other similar operations.

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
I think that we should just give the gov't all of our money----they can provide us with Healthcare ---"FREE" and than we can get a "FREE" Colonoscopy and whatever else we need------they could subsidize the price of gas and food and housing-------and just give us what is left to have fun with!!

As far as paying for a portion of our health care---it is coming---just like everyone else (So Cal Retail Clerks!), so you better get used to it. I would think that if you knew what the symtoms were for colon cancer, you would be willing to pay a portion rather than gamble with your life and not get a test because your insurance doesn't pay for it?????

Everybody I know has a co pay with their insurance---it is rare to not have a co-pay unless you have a HMO-------than good luck to you if you ever get sick and actually need to use it for anything major!!!

I for one am grateful for my medical coverage for me and my family and if I have to make a small co-pay---I can live with it!!

Dfigtree

ja4079 said:
I just called our wonderful insurance to find out what if anything they pay on colonoscopy, only if you have colon cancer and are dying will they cover it of course after you have met your deductible, if it is a baseline for those of us that are 50 and recomended. Our doctor charges 1330.00 Now why will they not cover preventative, don't understand why they would rather pay more later!!!!!! Once again our union has done us in with this insurance and pension mess! We used to have the best now we have the worst.

I believe you should be checking with your state insurance comissioner. Each state controls its own insurance although most states are similiar. There are required provisions for group health care policies. In NJ well-care is one of those provisions. But as for what exactly is covered under well care in a GROUP health care policy in your state, contact the comissioner's office or your state senator's office. Now for the disclainer that ... this information is not intended to provided any legally binding advice nor to provide any insurance advice. The reader is not to take any statement as gospel.

ja4079

ja4079
upsdawg you miss the point,our insurance would be better and cost less if they coverd preventative instead of waiting to pay high dollar for long term treatment. You sound a bit angry!

leastbest

LeastBest
I have to get a colonoscopy every other year. My two brothers had colon cancer (one died), my Uncle and and one of his sons died of it. My grandfather died of it too. I told my doctor on the first visit and he looked at me and with a straight face said, "It looks hereditary to me". You could tell he had a degree.

Insurance (Central States) has paid for most of it in the past.

Get it if you have any reason to, it may save your life.