Integrad Training?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Just kidding Steve I can handle the cost of my shoes but thanks for the offer! lol

In all honesty what kinds of footwear would you guys suggest then because I have heard that they are pretty strict on the footwear policy at integrad.
I've never been to intergrad, so I won't be of help in that dept. On the other hand, I've been a driver for quite some time, so I suggest lighter shoes with good support and slip resistance, of which there are many to choose. Remember, you'll be wearing those bad boys for 8+ hours straight, so try to find something comfortable as well as pleasing to "the man". "Good luck" at intergrad, brotha!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Just kidding Steve I can handle the cost of my shoes but thanks for the offer! lol

In all honesty what kinds of footwear would you guys suggest then because I have heard that they are pretty strict on the footwear policy at integrad.

Integrad, wear some nicely polished boots. Slip resistant, steel toe, hiking boots are probably perfect.

However when you go on road, black New Balance walking shoes are the best option. Wait until your 30 days are up though ;)

evilleace

Thanks guys yeah I am don't really plan on wearing the boots after integrad but I want to find something comfortable to wear while I am there. Once again thanks for all the help fellas.

I also forgot to mention that I am not ground driving yet just Sat air and covering air routes through the week if need be. Does anyone know if the progression and top out for Sat air drivers is the same as for regular air drivers? I looked in my contract but couldn't find anything and my steward has been on vaca.

evilleace

Sorry to ask so many questions but do I need a DOT physical before I take my road test? I will ask HR tommorow if they are there.

evilleace

Thanks but it doesn't matter anyway I got nervous and failed. Didn't help that the gear pattern was unlike anything I had driven before.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
ALWAYS, I REPEAT, ALWAYS practice in the yard if you are a first-timer.

I have had 3 road tests in the last 5 years and 4 in almost 10 so talking from experience.

The intls have the reverse gear pattern you are talking about - r 1 2 3 4 and can be a bit tricky if you aren't used to it. Nevermind sometimes you have to jam them into gear because it's tight. I'm surprised they didn't have you take out a P1000 with the "normal" 1 2 3 4 R, thats how they do the road test here.

Sorry to hear about your exp, evilleace.

p228

Didn't help that the gear pattern was unlike anything I had driven before.

The weird pattern is called a Dog leg gearbox. Learned that from watching Top Gear.

Dog leg layout gearboxes are desirable on performance automobiles because in road racing more frequent shifting occurs from second to third than from first to second gear.

The dog leg gearbox is also typical of 9 and 10 speed heavy truck transmissions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_leg_gearbox
Still trying to figure out why the package cars have them.

evilleace

No practice in the yard first they said I could drive around the building a few times to get comfortable. I never really got comfortable and just got more and more nervous as we went. I didn't have a problem with the size of the vehicle just the clutch and gear pattern and it was very tight I could barely get it into first gear when stopped. I would have rather taken out the 4 speed 800 that was sitting next to the car we took out. Next time I will definitely try to practice in the yard first if they will let me. Does anyone ever have any tips on driving the diesels with the spicer transmissions?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
No practice in the yard first they said I could drive around the building a few times to get comfortable. I never really got comfortable and just got more and more nervous as we went. I didn't have a problem with the size of the vehicle just the clutch and gear pattern and it was very tight I could barely get it into first gear when stopped. I would have rather taken out the 4 speed 800 that was sitting next to the car we took out. Next time I will definitely try to practice in the yard first if they will let me. Does anyone ever have any tips on driving the diesels with the spicer transmissions?
Yeah, DON'T! LOL

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
LOL yah i would definitely agree with that
After 14 years driving pkg cars, I'm finally driving something with power steering, automatic and a lower step. I say in about 6 months my arms will be useless, like those of a T-Rex.

Hey Sober, I finally have a 3 point seat belt and my head doesn't reach the windshield while sitting in the driver seat!!!

just interested

Graduated Integrad!! All of your advice was truly helpful - most especially testing out early for the 5 and 10, so it's not hanging over your head during the week. Most grateful to my HR department for having us memorize the 5 and 10 prior to going, and having us practice driving ahead of time out on the back lot. This made a HUGE difference is not feeling so overwhelmed at first, because INTEGRAD throws ALOT of information at you all at once! The people who had not done this ahead of time, were behind the 8 ball already and several failed.

Driver drill came easy - It's like doing an "M" - and they only want you to say "hazard" or "clear". It goes Left Mirror; Left Curb; Eye-Lead Time; Following Distance; Speed; Right Curb; Right Mirror; Right Curb; Eye-Lead Time; Following Distance; Speed; Left Curb; Left Mirror. You keep doing this pattern back and forth for 2 solid minutes.

There was also Driver Commentary - you had to call out everything your brain was processing, so they know you are seeing everything: ALL signs; crosswalks (clear or hazard); Intersection (hazard or clear) - Left/Right/Left; Driveway (hazard or clear). Then when you are stopped at a light you go through TIMS - Traffic light red; Intersection - Hazard or Clear; Motorists and Pedestrians (stating whether they exist or not)....my brain is fried, I can't remember the S...right now; you also call out all you do - parking brake on at red light; space between car; when light turns green counting aloud 1-2-3 seconds; announcing any crosswalks, intersections being clear; Another thing is announcing "Billboards" - any trees, buildings, oversized trucks....anything that limits your view of ANY area. The key to Driver Commentary is JUST KEEP TALKING....ALL THE TIME...NOTHING IS INSIGNIFICANT...EVERY OBSERVATION MATTERS.

Integration Station was the hardest for me. It helped to time myself, just to gain some perspective. I set up a practice course and used a rolling chair, as if it was me driving, and going through every motion necessary. I realized I had WAY MORE TIME than I thought. And once my mind relaxed from the time pressure, things came easy. I picked up patterns, such as when coming to a stop - it was always "Parking Brake"-Ignition (off)- Hazard(s) (lights on).....each person has to find what works for them to remember the methods.

And the best advice of all from y'all was "If you want it bad enough, you'll do what it takes to make it happen". Extra studying, asking lots of questions, practicing in the hotel at nights, etc. this will ensure your success.

Good luck to any other future Integrad'ers.

I can tell you that Integrad training gave me pride in the job and a huge sense of accomplishment. It was an excellent training course (not perfect by any means, but truly excellent.)

Thanks to all of you BC'ers who responded - again, I am truly grateful for your well spoken, clear advice.

Re-Raise

Good luck Just Interested hopefully we can get you out delivering packages soon.

From the attention to detail and the effort you put into your training my guess is you will make a great driver.