Integrity issues?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The bets still out there.

How many hits per day? How many hits by non-members?

PM the site administrator--she may have that information. Her screen name is Cheryl.

The numbers for this site can be found at the bottom of the home page. You can also Google "Brown Cafe activity" for this information.

Your use of the word "obscure" is accurate in terms of sheer numbers but not in the significance of this site to it's members.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I don't know how to find the stats for this board. As a Mod you could tell us? How many members? how many active? avg. # of posts. Whatever the numbers, I bet a weeks pay they pale in comparision to the "400,000 UPS employees". Or, 210,000,000 US citizens, or the several billion potential customers worldwide. In comparision to say, CNN, I think "obscure" is fairly accurate.

In reguards to "bannin'", thats seems to be the management view to dissent. I forget, what kind of regimes want to silence dissent? Whatever. If a current or potential customer is going to form an opinion from a "disgruntled" employee's post, then surely they will also be influnced by by the company defender's reasoned (or not) reply.
Hey, look up there! There's something going over your head....

tieguy

Banned
Are you kidding? You are actually going to cheer for corporate greed? Careful there, you don't wanna give yourself away.

I think I said that corporate greed created 400,000 plus jobs at ups as well as many jobs at other companies.

I think I also pointed out that there are no corporations that do not have employees in response to your point that corporate greed created unemployment.

It is in fact the individual or individuals starting corporations in search of profit and personal wealth that creates jobs for so many more other individuals.

I think if you look past the liberal buzz word or buzz expression you find that corporate greed actually creates jobs

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I think I said that corporate greed created 400,000 plus jobs at ups as well as many jobs at other companies.

I think I also pointed out that there are no corporations that do not have employees in response to your point that corporate greed created unemployment.

It is in fact the individual or individuals starting corporations in search of profit and personal wealth that creates jobs for so many more other individuals.

I think if you look past the liberal buzz word or buzz expression you find that corporate greed actually creates jobs

Agreed. Allowing people to be greedy is what makes America great. I started a small business so I could make a little pocket money. My kids work for me so they in turn earn some pocket money. I even let the govt. take a small share. Now back to missed, I mean E/C:peaceful:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Capitalism and greed don't necessarily need to be one in the same.
Corporate greed and the artificial manipulation of the economy through the stock market and Big Gov't deficit spending is driving this country further and further into a hole we may never dig ourselves out of without a "revolution" of some sort.
A crude anology can be made between our economy and Newtons 5th Law of Physics that states "matter can neither be created or destroyed".
My point being that any person, organization, company, etc that gets something for nothing in reality is just taking it from somebody or something else.
The little guy is getting tired of shouldering the load.

...oh yea, I forgot, back to missed/EC.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I know the process involved in the decision to use this code. I know its not specific to a center and I know it has to be justified. I know it will show up on many someones reports the next day and will have to be explained and justified by the center team. This is not a hide a few packages in the mailroom issue. This one has a lot of decisionmakers involved and misusing that code is getting people fired all over the country.

have the integrity to conceed my knowledge of the process. Have the integrity to recognize that you may not understand everything and everyones involvement in this decision. Have the integrity to recognize that this type of misinformation spread here hurts our reputation much more then what actually happened. You guys claim to care about service but what you're doing with these message board fishing expeditions is ruining our reputation when chances are very good our reputation did not deserve the shot.

If you dont understand the business you're in then deliver the packages shut your mouths and leave the scutiny to those that understand this stuff.

tieguy,

Thank you for your contribution to this discussion thread.

It would be beneficial to me and to this discussion for you to share your specific knowledge with us.

You seem to have much knowledge regarding the coding of missed stops as "Emergency Conditions".

Can you please contribute the methods and criteria that must be met to establish and code missed packages as " Emergency Conditions" to this discussion thread?

To me this discussion is the same as if I went to some remote section of Argentina and started a debate about john346's moral character. Since no one there knows John or his character I can pretty much make johns character whatever I decide it is. Those who then join into the discussion can then try to ask questions about Johns character which I will then answer with my own spin and opinion.

This thread is basically a wasted exercise in speculation since the folks who made the decision are not here to defend that decision. As such we are then forced to speculate on that decision based on whatever information John346 decides is important enough to share with us. We are then required to trust that the integrity of the person questioning the decisionmakers integrity is sound.

As such we have now appeared to draw the lines between those who think we should loudly scream to the customer that we screwed them and those make the argument that the decision to call this a weather emergency may acually have been right one. Those who want to believe the worst here will do so simply because the questioning of someones moral character, the spin of corporate deciet, the hatred for the faceless corporate entity is too strong to ignore the opportunity to bash.

The possible consequence to this exercise in speculation may very well be that customers will read this thread and think and believe the worst about us when the possibility is very realistic that the decision to use emergency conditions for a foggy weather event may have been the right one.

Is this really an effort to hold the company accountable for "integrity" or a misguided effort to shoot the masters who make us toil so strenously.

Does integrity require we ignore the impact of weather events in order to avoid any questions? Does the search for integrity require we make the ultimate sacrifice and throw ourselves on every grenade we see?

If integrity is really the purpose with this thread then where is the integrity in firing off these half cocked accusations?

Where is the integrity in this thread if the decisionmakers were actually right in this case and John346 was wrong? Will John now be able to go back to every customer who read this thread and correct his misinformation campaign?

I know that the decision to use emergency conditions is not taken lightly. It requires many decisionmakers questioning and justifying the use of that code. I am therefore willing to throw a challenge out. Lets take this sanctimonious quest for integrity to a new level. Let UPS investigate the use of this code and if used erroneously then fire the decisionmakers who used it. If the decision was right then lets fire john for the damage he has done to our reputation here.

I agree with you! Anyone who intentionally codes a package incorrectly to deceive someone either internal or external to the organization is guilty of fraud and should be fired.

"Working As Directed" does not absolve anyone of guilt in this area.

103 years and still going strong. Try again.

The morale and the morals within UPS is not strong but very very weak.

Sincerely,
I

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Capitalism and greed don't necessarily need to be one in the same.
Corporate greed and the artificial manipulation of the economy through the stock market and Big Gov't deficit spending is driving this country further and further into a hole we may never dig ourselves out of without a "revolution" of some sort.
A crude anology can be made between our economy and Newtons 5th Law of Physics that states "matter can neither be created or destroyed".
My point being that any person, organization, company, etc that gets something for nothing in reality is just taking it from somebody or something else.
The little guy is getting tired of shouldering the load.

...oh yea, I forgot, back to missed/EC.

Actually I don't think was Newton's 5th law, but you get the point.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel

Stick around. You're in for a really rude awakening very soon. Unless something huge changes fast, things will not go the way you want. They will go the way I fear.

tieguy

Banned
Stick around. You're in for a really rude awakening very soon. Unless something huge changes fast, things will not go the way you want. They will go the way I fear.

You keep making ambiguous references to some higher knowledge. Perhaps you can come down from your mountain top for a moment? Let me know what it is about Jim caseys pursuit of greed creating 400,000 jobs that you disagree with ?

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
You keep making ambiguous references to some higher knowledge. Perhaps you can come down from your mountain top for a moment? Let me know what it is about Jim caseys pursuit of greed creating 400,000 jobs that you disagree with ?

I'm not refering to anything you can't read in the news, although I caution take much of that with a grain of salt.

I didn't know Jim Casey. I don't know if he was greedy or pursuing wealth and success. I darn sure know he didn't do it alone for long.

This company wouldn't have grown to what it is if it hadn't kept up with the times. Unfortunately this is the time of corporate piggishness and its fallout. 400,000 minus how many next year? UPS proved year after year that you don't have to be grossly selfish to turn a tremendous profit. Now, you may have to pull the rug out from some folks to put a disgustingly large amount of that profit into the hands of a few. Matching retirement, bonuses, turkeys, incentives. Jobs.

I'm just an extremely ambivalent truck driver. I'm here to learn and get support. If I can help someone else out along the way, that's two more small success stories. I think it's called a soap box, not a mountain. I make mistakes and I'll probably own them before anyone else has a chance to point them out. But I do think it is a mistake to choose to be filthy rich over the people who have helped keep this place a success. Filthy rich is the appropriate term when you got that way because someone else lost something. You can still be very wealthy and keep employees content. Instead, some genious has found a way to cut costs and doesn't consider what it will do to morale. Instead, a group of people seem to think they can synchronize the world of commerece from a room in a building in a city south of the Mason-Dixon Line. Are they gonna be around to play Sim UPS when that technology is in place? That must be what they're hoping. They certainly don't seem concerned about the fallout this restructuring is causing. I have to question the (uh oh here's that word again) integrity of someone sitting on their butt while the decisions they are making are causing tremendous turmoil and hostility. Personally, while I am harassed without cause, my higher-ups are threatened and verbally abused to the point that some really good peeps are gonna be lost soon, some that I can see could one day be key in the continuing success of this company. While people are being promoted to positions they are not qualified to fill because someone thinks they'll make a good lemming. What will happen to them when it becomes clear they will fail in that position? Some will get demoted while others get fired. While I wonder if it's going to happen in my building or somewhere across the country that someone comes in one morning and starts shooting. It is that bad.

I know some of these practices are tried and true. They aren't mixing well with the new plan.

I think it went down like this: Someone attempted to look to the future of the company and largely disregarded the present. But we still have to get through this time. So you made a mistake. It won't hurt anyone to own it. It's not public yet. Fix it before irreparable damage is done. I'm talking weeks. And don't go thinking I'm making threats. I am genuinely concerned about myself, my co-workers, and my company and won't do anything to jeopardize them. I am not a conspiracy theorist. This crap is very real. I am not so far from where it started and it's not nation-wide yet, is it? We need to stop before it spreads. 75% of re-engineering projects fail. I don't WANT it to. I want it to change before it shakes UPS apart. It's just a mistake. No big deal! Just fix it. Everything will work out but we have to pay attention to what are actions are doing today, as well as their impact on the future.

The time for gluttoney is behind us now. It's not a healthy way to live your life.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Embracing the word greed as a positive is pathetic.
Walmart employs many people.
How many of us would want to work there for the peanuts they pay.
With that in mind, think of what a part time job at UPS has become in comparison to what it was when most of us started with the company.
Ask yourself if you where starting with UPS today would you follow the same path you did 10/20 years ago?
Greed creates dissention.
Treating employees as partners makes them valued assets.

over9five

Staff member

+1!!!

With that in mind, think of what a part time job at UPS has become in comparison to what it was when most of us started with the company.
Ask yourself if you where starting with UPS today would you follow the same path you did 10/20 years ago?
+1

DS

Fenderbender
You my friend are misnamed.This is not the words of a Bubblehead.They are those of a wise man.
sa·ga·cious   
[suh-gey-shuhs] Show IPA
–adjective
having or showing acute mental discernment and keen practical sense; shrewd: a sagacious lawyer.

You my friend are misnamed.This is not the words of a Bubblehead.They are those of a wise man.
sa·ga·cious   
[suh-gey-shuhs] Show IPA
–adjective
having or showing acute mental discernment and keen practical sense; shrewd: a sagacious lawyer.
I can vouch for Bubblehead he is definitely a wise man.

some1else

Banned
and thats why we get to call it emergency conditions.....we get to make the decision and you don't.
Now "lie" on that...
And when the customer is sitting in the house; driveway and sidewalks shoveled, dry pavement on the road and the pkg shows as undeliverable due to emerrgency conditions...

I honestly want the work; if you dont please go elsewhere dont screw our customers.

pretzel_man

Are you kidding? You are actually going to cheer for corporate greed? Careful there, you don't wanna give yourself away.

Maybe you should define corporate greed?

If you define it as what Enron did... Cooking the books.... Yes, its bad.

If you define it as what happened with the subprime mortgages.... Stealing from the future..... Yes, its bad.

Unfortunately, people paint a corporation trying to grow revenue, profits, share price as Corporate Greed. No... Those things are good....

Jim Casey said: "An expanding business is the only way to provide opportunities for our people."

Too often on this board, profits and profit growth are seen as bad. As Tie said, if profit growth is greed, then I'm all for it. Name a company that stayed complacent and shrunk to greatness.

Does it require accountability. Of course. Its always been that way. Some call that harassment. We used to call that accountability.

Jim also said: "Don’t over-rate yourself. Lean a little the other way — be constructively dissatisfied with yourself — and you’ll go further."

So, define corporate greed before we decide its bad.