Integrity of Management

Dolce

I wanted to get feedback with regard to the integrity of management. I was lied to about a question I had and found out after the fact. Is this a common occurrence with UPS management? I find it disturbing that this bad precedent would be set. Now I have to question everything this manager says.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I wanted to get feedback with regard to the integrity of management. I was lied to about a question I had and found out after the fact. Is this a common occurrence with UPS management? I find it disturbing that this bad precedent would be set. Now I have to question everything this manager says.
Is the original question one you can share with us?

By The Book

Sometimes they answer too quickly to a question without regard of the outcome, when they could of done a little research. Then there's the intentional lie.....that you kind of know it when it's said.

Last edited:

Dolce

Is the original question one you can share with us?
I wanted to use seniority in a situation and the manager of the building said that seniority did not apply to my position as a preloader. After getting the contract and speaking with someone at the union office, Section 11 - "Recognition of Seniority" states, " The company recognizes that the principles of seniority will be given prime consideration in the everyday operation of the business."

oldngray

nowhere special
I wanted to use seniority in a situation and the manager of the building said that seniority did not apply to my position as a preloader. After getting the contract and speaking with someone at the union office, Section 11 - "Recognition of Seniority" states, " The company recognizes that the principles of seniority will be given prime consideration in the everyday operation of the business."

It depends. For a bid job seniority rules but seniority doesn't apply in every situation.

km3

Some are honest, some are dishonest, and some just don't have a clue (even though they claim to).

I'm a sorter on preload, so I don't know about choosing package cars, but I know when I was on midnight, seniority meant absolutely nothing in terms of choosing trailers.

spankypants

Does anyone ever like the answer they receive at UPS? Not really - It's kind of the name of the game, pass the buck...Hot potato, etc. however you wanna put it, at this wonderful 44 billion dollar operation everyone dodges responsibility....Upper level management asks what too much, which in turn leaves middle level management with their hands cuffed...Which ultimately, puts more work on the bottom level, us grunts that do all of the physical labor at UPS...

There's an old saying...Laws are for the rich, hangman is for the poor and justice is for fools...

I say that because if you believe everything you hear from management (That goes for any level of management) I would call you a fool...

They operate on a system of numbers...That's literally all it is...Some bean counters somewhere get paid more money than you and I to tell them how much work any of us can do...

So mid level management gets a sheet of paper (Even though we are a paperless company) and it says they can allow (Let's say its cut a trip or screw a union worker Friday) 49 preloaders to work on boxline 10 and they gotta send 10 preloaders home or whatever it may be...Thats what they r going to try make happen that day and depending upon your contracts language for part time preloaders and seniority dates, they could send you home....

Management will stop at nothing to make that particular situation happen for them because that piece of paper is gold to them...They don't wanna hear why you can't load four trucks instead of your usual three...Or why you can't do something...Mondays and Fridays I have found is no excuses time...They gotta screw over union workers and save $$$$ because thats all its about...

Now, if someone below you on the senority list in your situation is working and they are trying to send u home...You demand your hours and file grievances...They hate grievances because then it doesnt look like a happy workplace anymore...

Management at UPS would eat their young...Make no mistake about it...Not sure what kind of relationship you have with management, I did have a good one with my management team at one point and it was a working relationship, lots of communication and lots of feedback...But, then something changed and I wasn't in the plans for them...Well, I demanded my hours because they were working people underneath of me in senority and filed girevance after grievance and the union got me my hours...Thats why you pay union dues...

Teamster for Life

spankypants

My point is they would lie to their spouses or offspring...They lie all day and will try to get you on the boat of lying as well...I stand by my integrity and sheet late airs...I am honest and there's nothing they can do besides take work off to me to make their numbers (Which I don't care about) look good...Do u follow me?

spankypants

Anything I do I could stand in front of the CEO and say I did it the way UPS taught me to do it...There is nothing else...Its all a game and its simple rules to play by...Anyway, I'm here if you need me...

cardboard-surfer

Anything other than orders barked at you (aka "work as directed") are lies. I've barely ever heard a truthful thing from management. The only important thing (once you make book) is what's in the Master; ignore everything else. The S-word (Safe) is the only word that makes management back off; UPS fears safety, they don't respect it.

#1 lie (mentioned by the center manager during Peak orientation): “This job is long-term; we’re planning on keeping you for many years after Peak.” – Translation: “You’ll be out on the street the week after Christmas, mid-February at the latest, just before you make book after Free Time is over. I’ll be transferred to another hub or center in a couple of weeks so luckily I won’t have to hear you whine about this.”

#2) (from the shift-sup) “If you learn the sort, we PROMISE you’ll get a dollar per hour skilled-worker wage increase” Translation: “We’re penny-pinchers and not obligated to give you Peak temps anything. This is just a carrot to tease and keep you mules motivated.”

#3) (from the PT sup) “This is gonna be a light day” = “This is the heaviest day of the year. Don’t expect to leave early unless you’re not coming back. If you ask to leave early I'll throw you back in the damn truck myself.”

#4) “This is gonna be a heavy volume day” = “We’re gonna kick you out in an hour ‘cus you’re not seniority so we’re not obligated by any hourly limits. You probably won’t even be able to pay for gas commuting here and back.”

#5) (from the center manager) “UPS hires from the inside”= “UPS fires from the inside a lot more. Step out of line and that’s where you’ll end up.”