Interesting Conversation While Siting in My Broken Down Package Car

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I wouldn't have waited !! After a break down,I would have called a cab and gone to the nearest RYDER RENTAl,rented a van out of my own pocket and delivered it all (skipping lunch ) UPS is soooooo good to me,I'm lucky I have a job !! I am overpaid for what I do !! When I'm paid over I feel so bad I send them a check !!!They often give me new UPS socks for my TEAM EFFORT !!!! LOL LOL LOL

whiskey

Im sorry,,, that training wasnt at a PCM.... we arent supposed to think, just memorize the 5 seeing habits etc and follow the methods to a "t"

We have all "donated" our time at one time or another to big brown. And we have all used the many methods of donation that avail themselves to us. So, what is the difference in letting a mechanic move packages every now and again?
It's like a pair of young parents bragging that their infant is already sleeping through the night. We all know that's a lie.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Are you kidding me? You are already an hour behind, the mechanic offers to help and you say, "thanks, but no thanks"? You would rather inconvenience another driver when there is help available at your location.

Yet people wonder why I am not a Joe Union.
Apparently UPS did not "plan for the unexpected" when they cut routes, slam drivers and run absolutely bare bones within the operation. Planning for the unexpected includes a plan in place when vehicles need servicing while on-road. If not, too bad. I don't want anyone but a Teamster doing the work. Thanks.

hypocrisy

Banned
I agree that cooperation can be a one way street, but you are guaranteed to get resistance and grief if you don't cooperate. Sometimes when you cooperate it works out. Try cussing out a cop while asking for a break. Not cooperating with the authorities, whether its a cop, a judge, a referee, your boss or anyone else in charge rarely ever works out in your favor, especially when you work with them everyday.

Who's hand is it in...your own. Make your call and live with it. Just don't be surprised when you see a cooperative person get off with a warning, while an uncooperative trouble maker gets a termination (or a few extra tickets, fines, penalties in the case of a cop, judge, or referee) for the same offense.

The last time I was in court, I was completely uncooperative, confrontational, badgered the (former) cop and quite possibly in contempt. In the Judge's words, just before he threw me out of his courtroom: "You are very argumentative sir!"

"Tell me something I don't know Judge."

All charges dismissed with prejudice.

packageguy

I wouldn't have waited !! After a break down,I would have called a cab and gone to the nearest RYDER RENTAl,rented a van out of my own pocket and delivered it all (skipping lunch ) UPS is soooooo good to me,I'm lucky I have a job !! I am overpaid for what I do !! When I'm paid over I feel so bad I send them a check !!!They often give me new UPS socks for my TEAM EFFORT !!!! LOL LOL LOL

I think you drank to much ups KOOL AID. LOL

Griff

You don't have to be a mechanic to open the hood, jump start a truck, wiggle a wire or follow simple instructions. Common sense and cooperation probably could have averted the entire fiasco. It certainly could have made it less severe.

I agree that cooperation can be a one way street, but you are guaranteed to get resistance and grief if you don't cooperate. Sometimes when you cooperate it works out. Try cussing out a cop while asking for a break. Not cooperating with the authorities, whether its a cop, a judge, a referee, your boss or anyone else in charge rarely ever works out in your favor, especially when you work with them everyday.

As far a discipline goes, the lowest form that is effective is what is prescribed. If you're a jerk and won't cooperate, you're like going to get the maximum. If you respond favorably to a simple verbal request, that's often the end of it.

Who's hand is it in...your own. Make your call and live with it. Just don't be surprised when you see a cooperative person get off with a warning, while an uncooperative trouble maker gets a termination (or a few extra tickets, fines, penalties in the case of a cop, judge, or referee) for the same offense.

So you are in favor of preferential treatment and therefore biased discipline in the workplace? The examples you have cited in your post comparing to the OP's experience are absolutely insane. Judging by your entire post is it safe to say that someone who follows the methods and the contract should be fired for the same offense as someone who skips their lunch and runs all day for the company? The contract and method driver is always viewed by management to be "uncooperative" and a "troublemaker". The OP wasn't being a jerk, he's doing HIS job and covering his behind. If he takes it upon himself to start tampering with a UPS vehicle and something goes wrong the company will try to hold him accountable for anything he has done. He isn't a professional mechanic and he shouldn't have to assume responsibility for a $70,000+ automobile owned by a Fortune 50 company. Do you have any idea how many supervisors run around saying "that's not my job." when one of us reports a problem everyday throughout America?

I can't wait till UPS fires me because it's management like you that is going to get this company burned at the stake in a courtroom. You cannot discipline two separate people differently for the same offense because of your petty and trivial biases about cooperation. Especially in the manner in which you suggested, that someone should be TERMINATED and the other should be given a warning. Wake up and smell the ego trip, what you are saying is illegal.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
So what would you have done during the time that he was waiting for the mechanic?

I do not prerecord during the course of my day as it does not save time; but, if I were sitting for an hour waiting for the mechanic, I would have had the car sorted and the bulk stops prerecorded.

I agree that he should not have been asked to take lunch but I can understand why the supervisor made the request.
I probably would have sorted but not prerecorded. It's just not something that I would think about doing.

washington57

So you are in favor of preferential treatment and therefore biased discipline in the workplace? The examples you have cited in your post comparing to the OP's experience are absolutely insane. Judging by your entire post is it safe to say that someone who follows the methods and the contract should be fired for the same offense as someone who skips their lunch and runs all day for the company? The contract and method driver is always viewed by management to be "uncooperative" and a "troublemaker". The OP wasn't being a jerk, he's doing HIS job and covering his behind. If he takes it upon himself to start tampering with a UPS vehicle and something goes wrong the company will try to hold him accountable for anything he has done. He isn't a professional mechanic and he shouldn't have to assume responsibility for a $70,000+ automobile owned by a Fortune 50 company. Do you have any idea how many supervisors run around saying "that's not my job." when one of us reports a problem everyday throughout America?

I can't wait till UPS fires me because it's management like you that is going to get this company burned at the stake in a courtroom. You cannot discipline two separate people differently for the same offense because of your petty and trivial biases about cooperation. Especially in the manner in which you suggested, that someone should be TERMINATED and the other should be given a warning. Wake up and smell the ego trip, what you are saying is illegal.

Thank you. I agree Fracus's post is complete insanity. Sure i'll cooperate and do things that im not trained to do and when something goes wrong you'll throw me under the bus. So actually I won't do things i'm not trained to do so I don't get terminated if something goes wrong. It is sad that this is our company culture, union workers can't trust their supervisors to support them and have their backs. instead they have to instead focusing on CYA. it is ENTIRELY management's fault.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
What a waste of time sorting would have been, you had to move it from truck to truck.
Anyway, I have always tried to fix my truck and get it to the building.
From driving it in with a flat, (which I would not do now, as it could have flown off and hit someone, which I never thought of then)
to driving in torrential rain, through school zones , with only one wiper.
To an old 800 that must have had some kinda short, and tried to start itself when I was out of truck with keys in hand.
Blown motors, no power, etc. Always tried to fix them or get them back to building.

Had you been inclined, mechanically or motivationally, to fix your truck and did it wrong, and instead of no power, your gas got stuck on, instead of crawling with no power, and you struck something or someone, you would be terminated. no questions asked.
That is just the reality of who we work for today.
And I agree with and love your post.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Its a pity that the company cannot or will not apply the same buzz words that they expect us to regurgitate towards the day-to-day operation of the business.

You know...like "getting the big picture", "expecting the unexpected", "adjusting to changing conditions", or having a "smooth routine". Apparently, those phrases are only applicable to an hourly employee who is getting a warning letter for a ticky-tacky "accident" or failing to meet some impossible production standard.

I am usually more than willing to at least attempt a minor repair that is not fundamental to the safe operation of the vehicle. But when the company has already made a business decision to set me up to fail by cutting routes and shoving an impossible dispatch out the door, and that bad situation is then made even worse by a vehicle breakdown, I am not feeling much of a "sense of urgency" towards risking my career attempting a repair for which I am neither trained nor qualified. In a situation like that.... the company made the bed, so they get to lay in it.

hypocrisy

Banned
It's interesting to contrast this situation to Feeders where, while not required, we actually make repairs to trailers, tractors, and gears as necessary because our work is so critical to the operation. Most Feeder drivers carry some basic tools and spare parts like lights, light cords, even fluids and other odd things because they have learned what is needed from other breakdowns in the past. I could even change on of those huge tires on the rim if necessary (though I would have a heck of a time getting it off the trailer!).

The main difference is the mechanics and our management team, as least my management team, has our backs and won't crucify us if we fail. Usually a breakdown lasts at least an hour, sometimes 4-5 hours on road, and if you're typically getting 12 hours a day anyway we don't have any reason to cause any more delay. If you run out of hours, you get another delay waiting for a replacement driver to come drive you in so you can see how it starts to snowball.

It's sad that package operations aren't managed more like the way Feeders is.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes

Thank you. I agree Fracus's post is complete insanity. Sure i'll cooperate and do things that im not trained to do and when something goes wrong you'll throw me under the bus. So actually I won't do things i'm not trained to do so I don't get terminated if something goes wrong. It is sad that this is our company culture, union workers can't trust their supervisors to support them and have their backs. instead they have to instead focusing on CYA. it is ENTIRELY management's fault.

As far a discipline goes, the lowest form that is effective is what is prescribed. Not sure how you can argue with this. I'm not suggesting retaliation. Life is a two way street. You don't have to bend if you choose not to, but the other side is likely to respond in the same manner when the shoe is one the other foot.

As far as I know there is no law against giving people a break.

There's also no such thing as a $70,000 package car.

I'm not trained, CYA and it's not my job are lame excuses for taking the easy way out rather than doing the right thing.

over9five

Staff member
Doing the right thing like having an adequate number of routes in, and getting your package drivers in at a reasonable time?

tourists24

As far a discipline goes, the lowest form that is effective is what is prescribed. Not sure how you can argue with this. I'm not suggesting retaliation. Life is a two way street. You don't have to bend if you choose not to, but the other side is likely to respond in the same manner when the shoe is one the other foot.

I'm not trained, CYA and it's not my job are lame excuses for taking the easy way out rather than doing the right thing.
NO.... CYA "is" the right thing because if something goes wrong doing the "right" thing then UPS will shut down one lane of that 2 way street.

Griff

You are suggesting retaliation. In my world (reality) a manager that knowingly and purposely terminates an employee for the same infraction someone else received a verbal or written warning over is engaging in some form of retaliation and/or discrimination. It's fairly easy to prove, I dealt with a termination exactly like this less than a year ago. Center manager fired a guy on the spot for signing for a residential stop, 3 weeks prior I was in the office when the same manager gave a verbal warning to a bonus baby for doing the same exact thing. It's retaliation for not being a team player as you guys call it, not giving the company $10,000+ a year in free labor. Everything you guys attempt to do is cloaked in retaliation and retribution -- all operations decisions are affected by it: dispatch, discipline, days off. I honestly can't wait until I get to testify against this company, it's only a matter of time.

I was told multiple times by HR goons that package cars are worth $70,000. That was back when we had mostly P800's too, I imagine the dollar figure is higher for these poorly built hybrids and such. If the figure is wrong, why don't you tell us how much the package cars are?? Enlighten us. Let me guess, it's classified and you'd have to kill me?

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Doing the right thing like having an adequate number of routes in, and getting your package drivers in at a reasonable time?

Not my job. Gotta CYA ya know. Never been trained on this. I'm kidding, but it does work both ways.

You are suggesting retaliation. In my world (reality) a manager that knowingly and purposely terminates an employee for the same infraction someone else received a verbal or written warning over is engaging in some form of retaliation and/or discrimination. It's fairly easy to prove, I dealt with a termination exactly like this less than a year ago. Center manager fired a guy on the spot for signing for a residential stop, 3 weeks prior I was in the office when the same manager gave a verbal warning to a bonus baby for doing the same exact thing. It's retaliation for not being a team player as you guys call it, not giving the company $10,000+ a year in free labor. Everything you guys attempt to do is cloaked in retaliation and retribution -- all operations decisions are affected by it: dispatch, discipline, days off. I honestly can't wait until I get to testify against this company, it's only a matter of time.

I was told multiple times by HR goons that package cars are worth $70,000. That was back when we had mostly P800's too, I imagine the dollar figure is higher for these poorly built hybrids and such. If the figure is wrong, why don't you tell us how much the package cars are?? Enlighten us. Let me guess, it's classified and you'd have to kill me?

No need to get excited. I don't expect anyone to do anything unreasonable or illegal.

My comment had more to do with human nature than specifics of the job. I have found that people are treated more favorably when they cooperate with others. The example I used was cussing at a cop. Everyone I was ever rude with seemed to gave me the maximum. When I finally learned to cooperate and treat them with respect, I found that they sometimes let me go with a warning. They same theory applies to other situations.

A hybrid is in the $80k range. I over looked these as there are none in my area and not many in the system. I've never seen or heard of anyone being held responsible for damaging a vehicle while attempting to get one going on the road.