Interesting post on an AOL fdx board....

FedexExEmployee

This doesn't make sense, but someone posted the following:

Our station no longer has "commit times". There is no P1,
there is no SOS, there is no P2. We straight line from the
beginning to the end -- the customer be damned.
When we ask management when it will be "fixed" their
eyes glaze over and tell us everything is fine.

Is this possible??

SmithBarney

Very Possible... Our start times have been pushed back far enough
that once we are done, we are lucky to get one or two P1 stops off.

If we keep it up, we won't have to worry, there won't be any customers
left. We lost a daily PUP account worth $100,000/yr and Management denied
losing them, as they are still an "on-call" account... BTW we lost them due
to incoming late freight.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Anything is possible. Usually the only time we get to straightline is if there's a National Service Disruption declared by the talking heads in MEM. Lately, I've heard that some stations have started banning delivery of P2 until the actual commit day. It's only getting uglier, and I wonder what they're going to dream-up next. Maybe they can hire TieGuy away from UPS so he can straighten the whole mess out.

Our station has banned taking out a package if it is not due on that particular day unless it has another one due for the current day. You know the scenario; put the pkg. under the belt with NO SCAN on it and do nothing to it until the following business day. Anything could happen to that package in the meantime. Makes more sense to let us take it on out and get rid of it so the customer can be happy. Oh, I forgot; anything that makes sense is not done at Fedex! If you do deliver a pkg that is due for next day delivery you will get a letter for delivering a stand alone. There is no end to this madness!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
There you go...the rumor I posted earlier is true. Just another way to theoretically cut hours and also tick-off the customers. I'm sure management will spin it so it looks like a way to prevent layoffs when volumes are down. While that possibly could be true in other parts of the country, we're just as busy as ever, so it just means working harder-not smarter. Other folks have mentioned severely rolled-back start times, which also means lousy service for the customer. How do you fulfill the Purple Promise when you don't leave the building until 0945 or so?