Interesting Thoughts To Ponder on this Most Special of Days!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wkmac, Apr 12, 2009.

1. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

source of above coments

2. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

Thank the Lords that O has declared that we are no longer a Christian Nation.

3. User Name

User Name Only 230 Today?? lol

I am sure I will know people in both places........lololololololololololol

Not really that funny but I always say it.....

4. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

It was actually one of our founding fathers who said that.

5. JimJimmyJames

JimJimmyJames Big Time Feeder Driver

At the most fundamental level, I don't want the government involved in religion because they than get to dictate the way we may worship.

I would think that sentiment is at the root of that founding father's statement. I would hope Obama meant the same.

6. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

I think he said it to appease Muslims. (And NO, I'm not saying he is one).

7. Jones

Here's what Obama actually said:
    Here's what John Adams said:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-1]-- Treaty of Tripoli (1797), carried unanimously by the Senate and signed into law by John Adams[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

What's most interesting to me is that it was approved unanimously by the senate. In other words an official document stating that the United States was not a "christian nation" was not considered controversial at the time. Much of the current fixation with declaring the US to be a christian nation is driven by the evangelical/fundamentalist wing of the conservative movement, and has it's roots in the cold war when we were locked in spiritual combat with "godless" communists.

8. iowa boy

iowa boy Well-Known Member

One of the best avatars I've ever seen wkmac!!!:bow:

9. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

Iowaboy,
    You must be fairly new.......the "ron" avatar is an old one for wkmac and always makes me crave hot dogs......who's got the mustard??:happy2:

10. iowa boy

iowa boy Well-Known Member

More,

I honestly did not know he has had different avatars. Between lurking on here and then joining the site, I have only seen one avatar from him.

Not trying to be a smart aleck or anything, just tellin' ya the honest to god truth. And yes, the weiner mobile makes me hungry too:peaceful:.

11. UPSNewbie

UPSNewbie New Member

Thank you, Jones for actually posting what was said in context.

IMHO, religion should have NOTHING to do with government. But that is a day I'll never see, I'm sure.

12. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Hard to do when the big story of the day is which church is Obama going to join.
    Who cares? Do we really have to know? I don't!!!!

13. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

OH MORE!

With the pic of Ron, I'm not sure I'd have made the Craving hot dog comment!
    :happy-very: But thanks for the laugh :wink2:

Iowa Boy,

I've had numerous avatar's as I change up just to add some variety. I used Ron again because I felt it was time for some humor. If you enjoyed it and got a laugh, then you got the exact point it was meant to give. Thanks for the nice comment about it. It has been somewhat popular with many positive comments when I've used it.

Examples of other past avatars of mine have been a hot babe with a mini bike (I was having some fun with the biker crowd here) the Gadsden Flag (Don't Tread on Me) a couple of pics of some 1970's Funny Cars to a pic of the Milky Way, the galaxy not the candy bar although now that's a thought.

If I find a pic worthwhile or that I like, I'll use it so don't be surprised in the near future if I use something else. I wish I could find a way to use a short clip of Woody Woodpecker saying "Guess Who" and then doing that silly laugh or another fav. is Bugs Bunny uttering those immortal words, "Ain't I a Stinker!" Some people are happy and content with the same thing but I like to spice life up a bit.

BTW: Welcome to BC and jump in when you feel the urge. Just don't let the wife find out!
    :happy-very:

Or Husband, Or Boyfriend, Or Girlfriend! You know this gender PC thingy is getting tough!
    :wink2:

14. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

Jones and UPSNewbie,

After reading your comments above and then Newbie's, I just wanted to pass on something you both might find interesting if you haven't already seen it. Last night, I finally broke down and went and rented the new version "The Day the Earth Stood Still" movie (I resisted because I like the original too much) and going through the Blockbuster isles I saw this movie entitled "Constantine's Sword" that I also rented and actually watched last night. TDTEST is my movie for tonight.

Anyhoo, I think you both might find Constantines Sword worthwhile and what made the movie even more powerful for me was that over the weekend after having shamefully neglected Chalmers Johnson's books "Blowback: and "The Sorrows of Empire", I bought both and started reading. Constantine's Sword had some connections in my mind to many of the points Chalmers was making in his books.

Just thought I'd throw out the suggest in case you wanted to check it out.

:peaceful:

15. Jones

Mac,
    I've already seen Constantine's Sword and I agree that it's excellent and thought provoking.

16. UPSNewbie

UPSNewbie New Member

Exactly. "LIKE OMG JFK WAS CATHOLIC! END OF THE WORLD!!!1!!1one

I will have to check that out here sometime.

17. JimJimmyJames

wkmac, I went to your link and I will have to say, I don't think I could even bring myself to watch or read what appears to be anti-catholic vitriol from a disillusioned former priest. To blame Christianity, and in-particular Catholicism for all the woes that the Jewish people have experienced over time is just as disingenuous as the current trend, especially amongst acadamia, for blaming the Western white man as the cause for all the problems of the world.

Well, I say bull**** to all of that. This ridiculous guilt some in the Western world feel over our outstanding success gets to be nauseating at times. Has the West done horrendous things? You bet! But when we add up the score card, what good the West has brought to the world is arguably greater than the bad.

In any event, I take no blame and I offer no apologies for what my ancestors may or may not have done. In the end we are all individuals who must take responsibility for our, and ours alone, actions.

As I have not read the book, if my reaction to what appears to be the thesis is wrong, I apologize and all I have to say is "nevermind".

18. Jones

I haven't read the book, only saw the film, but I certainly didn't take it to be an anti-catholic screed. Carroll remains a devout catholic and follower of christ, but he clearly believes that the church as an institution (distinct from individual catholics) needs to acknowledge it's role in the historical persecution of the jews because only by doing so will it make what he sees as necessary changes to the church doctrine which was used to justify that persecution.

I'm an outsider though, I was raised a catholic but left the church long ago so it's easy for me to be dispassionate about it. There are plenty of practicing catholics who share your point of view.

19. JimJimmyJames

Funny thing is, I am not a practicing Catholic and at this point some who know me might say I am "anti" Catholic. I just think they are easy targets and I would love that those who take pot shots on them would also do that to some of the other religions of the world. It shows you the gentle nature of Christianity that at least they don't call for your death if you do disparage them.

I just get tired of the West being used as the scapegoat for the world's ills, especially as they cash in on our generosity. I feel the Christian bashing that has been happening over the course of my lifetime is symptomatic of this.

20. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

I just saw the conversation you and Jones were having over the State and Religion and from my POV, the video using the premise and launchpoint of Constantine (State Religion) showed the dangers of when you mix religion and state. I'm not catholic but I didn't take the video to be anti-catholic at all.