Interesting: Top 25 Conservative Movies of the Past 25 Years

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Definitely some great movies, as well as at least one truly awful one (Heartbreak Ridge in case you're wondering, the whole thing was like a bad joke. The depiction of marines in general and a reconnaissance unit in particular was just stunningly bad).

It made me curious so I googled up "best liberal movies" and sure enough the koskidz are on the case. Brazil was the only one that made both lists, which isn't all that surprising.

I think it's a little silly to try and claim a movie for one political viewpoint, unless you're talking about something openly partisan like Fahrenheit 911. Personally I go to the movies to be entertained, not indoctrinated. The last thing I want to do is pay money to get beat over the head with a message stick..

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
My grandfather taught me when I was in elementary school to really listen to what was being said in a movie, t.v. show, or song. Boy, did that take the fun out of a lot of entertainment but damn it if he wasn't right. I always wonder if the general public is aware of the indoctrination they are undergoing. To sound like a pompous ass I would guess they do not.

Oh, and equating Batman with W. is quite a stretch! How dare Klavan sully my favorite comic book character!:batman2:

Overpaid Union Thug

Definitely some great movies, as well as at least one truly awful one (Heartbreak Ridge in case you're wondering, the whole thing was like a bad joke. The depiction of marines in general and a reconnaissance unit in particular was just stunningly bad).

It made me curious so I googled up "best liberal movies" and sure enough the koskidz are on the case. Brazil was the only one that made both lists, which isn't all that surprising.

I think it's a little silly to try and claim a movie for one political viewpoint, unless you're talking about something openly partisan like Fahrenheit 911. Personally I go to the movies to be entertained, not indoctrinated. The last thing I want to do is pay money to get beat over the head with a message stick..

I actually love Heartbreak Ridge. At first I thought it was just some corny 80s movie (weren't they all?) but after watching it a second time I started to like it. The character "Gunny Highway" ended up being not all that dissimilar from General Patton. A friend of mine from the Reserves was originally a Marine and he loves the movie too. He understands that it wasn't supposed to be an accurate portrayal of how real Marines act.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I actually love Heartbreak Ridge. At first I thought it was just some corny 80s movie (weren't they all?) but after watching it a second time I started to like it. The character "Gunny Highway" ended up being not all that dissimilar from General Patton. A friend of mine from the Reserves was originally a Marine and he loves the movie too. He understands that it wasn't supposed to be an accurate portrayal of how real Marines act.
Maybe I was a little too harsh, because you're right a lot of Marines love that film and I admit I've seen it more than once. Clint's portrayal of Gunny Highway is what saves it, he's just one those actors who is always good, even in a bad movie. We always had plenty of guys doing Gunny Highway impressions, the only movie character that got more mileage was R. Lee Ermey's D.I. in Full Metal Jacket.

Patton is just a fantastic movie, it belongs on anyone's top 10 list.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

This is the main reason I don't watch award shows. Besides everyone patting everyone on the back, which in itself is quite nauseating, I think the money spent on these productions, including lodging, airfare and whatever else is spent, could be used for something way better. JMHO

diesel96

Whatever happened to going to the movies or a show purely for entertainment value with an open mind and an eye for creativity (excluding political documentaries)?
If you can't laugh at yourselves, accept deserved critiscism, or appreciate a good delivery, your most likely living in denial, your life is unfullfilled, and your brain is programmed to use labels and follow someone else's lead....

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Whatever happened to going to the movies or a show purely for entertainment value with an open mind and an eye for creativity (excluding political documentaries)?
If you can't laugh at yourselves, accept deserved critiscism, or appreciate a good delivery, your most likely living in denial, your life is unfullfilled, and your brain is programmed to use labels and follow someone else's lead....

There's no problem with that. But, diesel, why should I go to a movie, with my family/tribe, paying all of that money, so I can be indoctrinated? I'm not saying that we don't go to movies. I'm just saying, that when we do go to a movie, we try to choose wisely, so that we will be entertained, not entertainted. jmho, as always, my brotha!:peaceful:

moreluck

golden ticket member
I haven't been inside a theater for years, at least 10. I can't see paying such inflated prices for film & food.

I wait 'til they come to Blockbusters, rent the movie and have as much microwave popcorn as I want while watching and even pause it if I need a restroom break.

I don't know how the cinaplex stays in business.

diesel96

There's no problem with that. But, diesel, why should I go to a movie, with my family/tribe, paying all of that money, so I can be indoctrinated? I'm not saying that we don't go to movies. I'm just saying, that when we do go to a movie, we try to choose wisely, so that we will be entertained, not entertainted. jmho, as always, my brotha!:peaceful:

Thats what movie trailers and ratings are for so you get an idea of what to expect.... but I don't take a movie critic's opinion nor do I allow the silverscreen or an entertainer to inject fallacy for reality, I'll just decide for myself and teach my not so youngings the same, thank you very much....For example...Even though I don't believe the content of the movie "The Davinci Code" I was the first in line to see it, and enjoyed it....Did it sway my opinion....Not a chance...lol
Another example...George Carlin's rant on religion....Hilarious...Did it turn me into an athiest...no way brother.....purely entertainment value. If one had a personallity that can be swayed that easily then I would recommend to stay home and be a hobbit...:peaceful:

I haven't been inside a theater for years, at least 10. I can't see paying such inflated prices for film & food.

I wait 'til they come to Blockbusters, rent the movie and have as much microwave popcorn as I want while watching and even pause it if I need a restroom break.

I'm with ya there Moreluck...wow, we agree on something

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Some theaters offer free refills of soda and popcorn. When you have a tribe like mine, you try to take em out once in awhile, but always look for a good deal along the way.

Thats what movie trailers and ratings are for so you get an idea of what to expect.... but I don't take a movie critic's opinion nor do I allow the silverscreen or an entertainer to inject fallacy for reality, I'll just decide for myself and teach my not so youngings the same, thank you very much....For example...Even though I don't believe the content of the movie "The Davinci Code" I was the first in line to see it, and enjoyed it....Did it sway my opinion....Not a chance...lol
Another example...George Carlin's rant on religion....Hilarious...Did it turn me into an athiest...no way brother.....purely entertainment value. If one had a personallity that can be swayed that easily then I would recommend to stay home and be a hobbit...:peaceful:

I'm with ya there Moreluck...wow, we agree on something

LOL, speaking from my currently forced hobbitude, I think you misunderstand me. I agree with you along the lines of Carlin. This guy was funny. I disagreed with some of the things he said, but they were still funny. I liked Penn in Mystic River, Carlito's Way and Fast Times. I'm just saying that I'm not going to see a movie I don't necessarily agree with, just because some critics said it was good.:peaceful: :peaceful: :wink2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
D...we agree on more than one thing. George Carlin was the greatest comedic mind of the past few decades. A true wordsmith !! Loved him !!:wink2: