Interesting Volvo safety device

curiousbrain

Stay tuned for lawsuits stemming from distracted drivers (cellphone or texting, if I had to guess) filing lawsuits against Volvo because they themselves got sued for running over Grandma.

The company does put forth disclaimers, but I have to believe that suits will be filed anyway.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
...i foresee unintended issues and lawsuits.

What if the one person you would really like to run over happens to walk in front of you and you could easily get away with flattening them, but the system kicks in to prevent it?

Can you sue for having your opportunity taken away?

Would the lawsuit award be directly proportional to the level the person deserved getting flattened or would it be based upon future suffering that could have been eliminated?

What if a drunk politician crawls out of a bar and into the street and the system doesn't activate because it mistakes the drunk for a dog? Who would be responsible and would the the death be ruled a crime? Which has a higher value, the dog or the politician?

Too many issues...

curiousbrain

What if a drunk politician crawls out of a bar and into the street and the system doesn't activate [...]

Too bad Ted Kennedy couldn't rely on that defense.

I know, I know, I totally took your quote out of context and I apologize; but as soon as I read your post I felt this burning desire to make that jest. Bad taste? Very possible.

M

Mike23

I dunno, I'd much rather be rammed from behind (years at UPS has prepared me to be rammed from behind) than run someone over... That's just me though.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Too bad Ted Kennedy couldn't rely on that defense.

I know, I know, I totally took your quote out of context and I apologize; but as soon as I read your post I felt this burning desire to make that jest. Bad taste? Very possible.

No problem. One sarcastic remark deserves another. Also - feel free to substitute "politician" with teamster, supervisor, manager, lawyer, democrat, fedex'r, or any other deserving title of choice.

UPSGUY72

0 becasue everyone would be rear ended the UPS guy and anyone else that has these system in there car. They decrease one risk and more than triple the chance for another onbe to happen. Kind of like red light cameras they cause more accidents then stop they get people to stop at yellow light at the cost of getting rear ended.