International Resignation

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by johnsprite, Jun 17, 2015.

1. johnsprite

johnsprite New Member

Hi Everyone. I will try and keep this short and sweet. I have been a backup International auditor for a couple years now, and have recently decided that I would no longer like to remain in this position. Management is giving me the run around stating no one else is trained, I have to do it. My steward tells me that I can not decline, it would be refusal of work. All that could be true, but before I just accept that I wanted to double check here. I appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance.

2. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Guest

What do they do when you are on vacation?

3. johnsprite

johnsprite New Member

We have two auditors, and I am the back up. I am not allowed to take vacation that conflicts with their vacation weeks.

4. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Guest

Do you have to take some sort of certification to do the job?

5. johnsprite

johnsprite New Member

That is a good question. Since we deal with customs, we constantly have new training and procedures that we must comply with.

6. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Guest

You have to work as directed , but if you don't have the necessary certifications you can't do the job.

7. johnsprite

johnsprite New Member

I should also state that management has told me that they will train a replacement, but we all know how that goes. International, as far as I know, does not have a yearly certification like a hazmat auditor does. I just want to make sure that I do not get stuck in this position if they just decide not to train a replacement.

8. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

The best thing to do, is write a letter requesting to be disqualified from the position.

Sign it, date it, and punch it on the company time clock.

Then (with your Union Steward present) give a copy to your immediate full-time supervisor.

Also give a copy to your Union Steward, to be forwarded to your Local Union.

You need to give the company a reasonable amount of time to train someone new.

30 days, would be fair and reasonable (standard). After that.... file a grievance.

-Bug-

9. PiedmontSteward

PiedmontSteward RTW-4-Less

Very good advice. But I don't think UPS has used punch-style time clocks since the '70's/80's.

:wink-very:

In lieu of that and to make everything "kosher" the member could simply have the letter notarized instead.

10. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

Oh contraire.... ;)

"When requested by the Union, time clocks will be left in place for employees to record their work hours for their own personal use."

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

Everyone, should embrace the ability.... to accurately record events.

-Bug-

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Our center replaced the manual time clock with an electronic version years ago.

12. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

It's still in the contract. If someone grieved it they (ups) would be putting one in.

13. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Wrong.

They would have the hourly write down the time and the hourly and supervisor would both put their initials by it.

14. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

Mayb in never land where you are from but in a strong local the time clock would be coming by next day air.

15. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

Or more likely, weak UPS Management.

What's the Union going to do?
    Deceive 250 fools into walking off the job?

16. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

You know nothing about labor. You were make my sure the 1-800-pickups number was working. Come on man you're trolling again.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  17. Monkey Butt

I know more about the Management side than you the Union side.
    That is what my remark was about.
    No punch time clock would go in my center because of some goofy Union request.
    I would welcome the grievance however to use as evidence for future frivolous grievances showing a pattern.

18. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

you'd lose. And if you called that a frivolous grievance you be hit with a labor board charge. It might not go anywhere but the higher ups would be :censored2: at you because they would have to pay legal fees.

19. Monkey Butt

Really? No legal effort on something as frivolous as this.
    Winning a grievance means little until the solution is implemented.
    You have any idea of the number of "won" grievances I have been involved in over the years that were simply ignored?

20. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Deals, side-deals and double standards.

Gotta love the system.