International Resignation

Hi Everyone. I will try and keep this short and sweet. I have been a backup International auditor for a couple years now, and have recently decided that I would no longer like to remain in this position. Management is giving me the run around stating no one else is trained, I have to do it. My steward tells me that I can not decline, it would be refusal of work. All that could be true, but before I just accept that I wanted to double check here. I appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance.

T

Turdferguson

Hi Everyone. I will try and keep this short and sweet. I have been a backup International auditor for a couple years now, and have recently decided that I would no longer like to remain in this position. Management is giving me the run around stating no one else is trained, I have to do it. My steward tells me that I can not decline, it would be refusal of work. All that could be true, but before I just accept that I wanted to double check here. I appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance.
What do they do when you are on vacation?

T

Turdferguson

You have to work as directed , but if you don't have the necessary certifications you can't do the job.

I should also state that management has told me that they will train a replacement, but we all know how that goes. International, as far as I know, does not have a yearly certification like a hazmat auditor does. I just want to make sure that I do not get stuck in this position if they just decide not to train a replacement.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I should also state that management has told me that they will train a replacement, but we all know how that goes. International, as far as I know, does not have a yearly certification like a hazmat auditor does. I just want to make sure that I do not get stuck in this position if they just decide not to train a replacement.

The best thing to do, is write a letter requesting to be disqualified from the position.

Sign it, date it, and punch it on the company time clock.

Then (with your Union Steward present) give a copy to your immediate full-time supervisor.

Also give a copy to your Union Steward, to be forwarded to your Local Union.

You need to give the company a reasonable amount of time to train someone new.

30 days, would be fair and reasonable (standard). After that.... file a grievance.

-Bug-

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
The best thing to do, is write a letter requesting to be disqualified from the position.

Sign it, date it, and punch it on the company time clock.

Then (with your Union Steward present) give a copy to your immediate full-time supervisor.

Also give a copy to your Union Steward, to be forwarded to your Local Union.

You need to give the company a reasonable amount of time to train someone new.

30 days, would be fair and reasonable (standard). After that.... file a grievance.

-Bug-

Very good advice. But I don't think UPS has used punch-style time clocks since the '70's/80's.

:wink-very:

In lieu of that and to make everything "kosher" the member could simply have the letter notarized instead.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You one nothing about labor. You were make my sure the 1-800-pickups number was working. Come on man you're trolling again.
I know more about the Management side than you the Union side.
That is what my remark was about.
No punch time clock would go in my center because of some goofy Union request.
I would welcome the grievance however to use as evidence for future frivolous grievances showing a pattern.

I know more about the Management side than you the Union side.
That is what my remark was about.
No punch time clock would go in my center because of some goofy Union request.
I would welcome the grievance however to use as evidence for future frivolous grievances showing a pattern.
you'd lose. And if you called that a frivolous grievance you be hit with a labor board charge. It might not go anywhere but the higher ups would be pissed at you because they would have to pay legal fees.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
you'd lose. And if you called that a frivolous grievance you be hit with a labor board charge. It might not go anywhere but the higher ups would be :censored2: at you because they would have to pay legal fees.
Really? No legal effort on something as frivolous as this.
Winning a grievance means little until the solution is implemented.
You have any idea of the number of "won" grievances I have been involved in over the years that were simply ignored?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Really? No legal effort on something as frivolous as this.
Winning a grievance means little until the solution is implemented.
You have any idea of the number of "won" grievances I have been involved in over the years that were simply ignored?

Deals, side-deals and double standards.

Gotta love the system.