Internet was running out of addresses

texan

The Internet now has 340 trillion trillion trillion addresses

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- One of the crucial mechanisms powering the Internet got a giant,
years-in-the-making overhaul on Wednesday.

When we say "giant," we're not kidding. Silly-sounding huge number alert: The Internet's address
book grew from "just" 4.3 billion unique addresses to 340 undecillion (that's 340 trillion trillion trillion).
That's a growth factor of 79 octillion (billion billion billion).

If it all goes right, you won't notice a thing. And that's the point.
The Internet is running out of addresses, and if nothing were done, you certainly
would notice. New devices simply wouldn't be able to connect.

To prevent that from happening, the Internet Society, a global standards-setting organization
with headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland; and Reston, Va., has been working for years to
launch a new Internet Protocol (IP) standard called IPv6.

IPV6: Internet has 340 trillion trillion trillion addresses - Jun. 6, 2012

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Website addresses, also called URL's, were created to make it easier to access the Internet. Rather than type in an IP address for each site you want to visit you simply type in the URL or Google the site name. For example, rather than typing 192.168.1.1, you type www.BrownCafe.com.

Hard to believe that they are running out of IP addresses.

over9five

Staff member
Website addresses, also called URL's, were created to make it easier to access the Internet. Rather than type in an IP address for each site you want to visit you simply type in the URL or Google the site name. For example, rather than typing 192.168.1.1, you type www.BrownCafe.com.

Hard to believe that they are running out of IP addresses.

Yeah, but think of how many addresses the average house old has. In my house (that I can think of right now):

1 PC, 2 laptops, 3 smartphones, 1 DVD player...

And I know my son has other crap that goes online.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
If one was to just cancel all those sites linking to bhos' election campaign , a good chunk clutter would disappear.