Interviewed for Package handler but starting out as a PT supervisor any advice?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I understand that night happen to most people. But I have dealt with the worst of the worst from other jobs. Where there was not such thing as a HR department. So with that being said I think I will be fine. I'm have dealt with a wide variety of people from many different backgrounds. So when I "correct" people I don't come off as a jerk. I do expect a lot, I'm ambitious and that was noticed by the manager. Which Is why I have come into this part time supervisor position off the bat. I understand if your experience was a negative one. Which explains why you talk the way you do which makes sense. I have a more optimistic outlook regardless, but thanks for the advice anyways!
You need to talk to upsguy72

Whats 9.5?

So they really hired a guy to tell people how to be a package handler even tho he's never done it himself?!......seems legit. No offense to the OP.

RadioSilence

I do understand the irony of my name.
I understand that night happen to most people. But I have dealt with the worst of the worst from other jobs. Where there was not such thing as a HR department. So with that being said I think I will be fine. I'm have dealt with a wide variety of people from many different backgrounds. So when I "correct" people I don't come off as a jerk. I do expect a lot, I'm ambitious and that was noticed by the manager. Which Is why I have come into this part time supervisor position off the bat. I understand if your experience was a negative one. Which explains why you talk the way you do which makes sense. I have a more optimistic outlook regardless, but thanks for the advice anyways!

I expect to see a Lifetime movie about how you managed to uplift and inspire the lowly hourlies into becoming a package loading dream team who despite all odds managed to make it to the very top and win the UPS Metrics Games; thus changing their life courses for the better with motivational screenshots at the end of the movie explaining what happened to the main characters after you ascended to.. whatever it is you end up doing.

Honestly~ I'll give a piece of advice that you can keep/discard/whatever. The perky optimism can piss people off just about as much as being a jerk; but from the sounds of how you describe yourself, you are aware of this and seem to be able to chameleon your way around a wide variety of people well enough to not trigger those responses. All I know is that if you came into our hub as a pt supervisor with that kind of attitude, well, it would "be a bit of an unpleasant headache!" for you. The jerks get much more respect (which actually weirds me out in a way..).

If I sound salty, it's partly jealousy because~ wow, awesome luck and good job getting that offer! but more along the lines of, "... this person is going into pretty much a dead end position without knowing what they are getting into, yet somehow will probably make it work out.... kind of like how a drunk person behind the wheel who isn't buckled up can get into a severe auto accident and walk away with a few bruises.

I'm an equal opportunity hater of any representative of inefficient systems. Regardless~ you sound like you're going to go right up the ladder wherever you go~whatever you do. Just remember, in the meantime, to not keep your nose tilted up too high around the belts and the people working them; it's -REALLY- dusty in there and you don't want that stuff getting too deep into your lungs and nasal cavities :3.

BananaCat

Hello and welcome to UPS. I'm a fairly new preloader to UPS and was hired on just before peak last year. We have a really well liked PT sup at our facility. He never ever writes any of us up because he knows we are all trying our best. I even offered myself as a scapegoat because I get the most misloads out of the crew of vets that have been there 5 years or more. Upper management has been giving him a lot of flack lately most likely because of me. I'm hoping to get an unpaid vacation/suspension out of the deal. It's definitely a fine line between making the workers happy and the big wigs happy and he errs on the side of the workers which you should do. If you got the backs of the workers, they will get your back in return.

Make sure you stress safety and deliver a good safety message first thing in the morning (egress, plastic strap tripping hazards, optimal carry, teamwork on irregular overweights, keeping packages over 40lbs off the top shelf, etc). If you have time try to get everyone to do a quick stretch.

NIS/NIB

Yeah well, "other" jobs aren't UPS. They've learned they have to hire management off the street because anyone with anytime inside realises pt sups are just fall guys. Talk about turn overs, if you don't like your sup just hang in there, a new one will come along soon.

clean hairy

You say you have dealt with "the worst of the worst?"
Those folks are not even Amateurs compared to what you will have to deal with.
You don't make the numbers they want, they will find someone who will.
They don't want excuses, they want results!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I don't want to give out too much info. But basically I applied for the position as a Package Handler to get my "foot in the door". I did well in the interview process and am starting as a PT supervisor. I been looking around and reading up as much info as I can about the position. But is there any advice you could give me that will help me hit the ground running? I am very motivated and I learn fast. I would love some insight on the position and what it entails! This forum has been very helpful so far. I am looking forward to any responses I start in a couple of weeks! Just wanted to be familiar with any procedures that I need to eventually follow. Thank you in advance!
This is gonna be good
Pop corns on stove