Interviewer not treating you right.

Hello all and thank you in advance for replying!
I was a seasonal package handler this last peak and honestly loved the job. But once peak was over I moved on and went back to my full time job. Well I've been checking ups job posting for three months waiting for a package handler spot to open back up again. A couple days ago I saw they posted a package handler job again so I applied and went in for a tour and interview. We took the tour, their was about 6 of us. Then she pulled us aside one by one for the interview. I wasn't the second person in and while she was interviewing the first person we all could hear her. Well she was all chatty and out going with this person and asked a whole lot of questions and she immediately told him he has the job. I go in and do everything I'm supposed to, while she's just behind her computer just typing away not even paying attention to me. Only asked me a few questions none of the same ones she asked the other man. And then tells me I'll call you if I have a job for you. Honestly I felt like she was playing favoritism, not treating each interviewee the same and asking the same questions and all. What do you think? Should I wait for her to call or should I call the union or managers at ups and tell them my concern?

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I was a seasonal package handler this last peak and honestly loved the job. But once peak was over I moved on and went back to my full time job. Well I've been checking ups job posting for three months waiting for a package handler spot to open back up again. A couple days ago I saw they posted a package handler job again so I applied and went in for a tour and interview. We took the tour, their was about 6 of us. Then she pulled us aside one by one for the interview. I wasn't the second person in and while she was interviewing the first person we all could hear her. Well she was all chatty and out going with this person and asked a whole lot of questions and she immediately told him he has the job. I go in and do everything I'm supposed to, while she's just behind her computer just typing away not even paying attention to me. Only asked me a few questions none of the same ones she asked the other man. And then tells me I'll call you if I have a job for you. Honestly I felt like she was playing favoritism, not treating each interviewee the same and asking the same questions and all. What do you think? Should I wait for her to call or should I call the union or managers at ups and tell them my concern?
The union would not be able to help you. You are not a member. If you feel unfairly treated contact the EEOC

PT Car Washer

Favoritism is common practice at UPS. Complain all you want. It will not matter other then making you look like a kook and reinforcing her opinion. Come back and apply again in six months when there will be a new HR person.

km3

You think the EEOC would actually help any?

Only if you feel like you've been discriminated against.

I've had that experience in "mass" hiring fairs/events before. Try not to take it personally, and try again. Heck, maybe she was only hiring for a few positions in the first place but got more people in the tour than she needed. This is a hard job. That first interviewee will probably be gone in a week or two anyway.

ManInBrown

Sounds like you should give Jenny a call. Discuss your concerns with her. 867-5309

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
For all you know the other person could have been applying for a different shift. They could need people right away for that one, and have a waiting list for the ones you applied for. Took over 6 months for me to get on permanent after being a driver helper. Hope you got the name and number of someone at HR. Call them once a week to follow up and let them know you're still interested. You'd be surprised how many people don't bother to do that. They'll know your voice as soon as they answer the phone by the time you're hired. It's not usually a fast process, hope you have another way to pay the bills while you wait.

Thanks again! Helps, I'm just going to wait and see what happens and call them and check the status! Yeah she has the the other kid starting Monday so it definitely looks like they need people. What questions she did ask was what belt I worked on and other stuff like that mostly and she was typing a lot. Maybe emailing someone from that belt about me I have no idea. She may just ask what my direct supervisors thought of me. Who knows we will see! Thanks tho! Seriously

jaker

trolling
It's called a job interview and you lost the interview for whatever reason

We all have been trough this in life , I know I have taken many a jobs from people because I was taught to show up in professional clothes

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
The HR people at my hub are racist. Only way a white person can get a job is if you know someone, even then the employee has to harass them until they get annoyed with you.

Nimnim

The Nim
The HR people at my hub are racist. Only way a white person can get a job is if you know someone, even then the employee has to harass them until they get annoyed with you.

I wouldn't say that's the norm, but many years ago there was a running joke amongst the pters inside they could tell who in the tour group would get hired because the lady in hr had a certain preference towards *ahem* larger hand sizes with a dark complexion. Once that lady was no longer in charge of hiring it was much more diverse in hiring so the joke was done.

With the amount of turnover UPS has much of the time it's hard to claim favoritism or whatever ism you want. If they're going through 20+ applicants a week and less than half selected make seniority they can claim whatever they want for why they decide not to hire someone and likely get away with it.

clean hairy

Was the other person being interviewed a previous employee seeking rehire as you were?
Could be she saw something on your previous work history which did not look good.
You were never late?
You showed up every day?