Investing in a FedEx route basics

Southwest

I'm a current contractor who is already at scale and have all of the HD ground overlap but still in the ic model. All of your examples are isp to isp sales or renegotiations. What can we expect going from ic to isp as far as overall compensation?

It will be fine

I'm a current contractor who is already at scale and have all of the HD ground overlap but still in the ic model. All of your examples are isp to isp sales or renegotiations. What can we expect going from ic to isp as far as overall compensation?
They knock everyone down at transition and with the way they've been acting lately, I would plan on at least a 15% decrease. They screwed us hard at transition, the subsequent negotiations got better but it's turning back the wrong way now. I'd probably only do a 1 year deal from now on, that puts you back in negotiations every 7 months to try and get more.

bacha29

Indeed a one year contract is about the only bullet you have in your gun. That 15-20% reduction appears to be about the average . Rest assured X managers and engineers are not going to take a 20% pay cut. The biggest challenge will be asking your guys to go from an 8-9 hour work day to a 12 hour work day for the same pay. Clearly X believes that you are not working your guys hard enough and that there is a lot of productivity that you are not extracting from them. After all they don't have to be wage and hour law compliant or have to deal with an employee rebellion.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
See now, I expect that out of a wage slave like Cactus. You as a former contractor should know better (if you were any good at it).
Sounds like while you were away grooming soccer fields, Smith came in and bit you in the ass with a 3 - 5% takeaway.

Maybe you oughta' come to work a little more often.

bbsam

Staff member
Sounds like while you were away grooming soccer fields, Smith came in and bit you in the ass with a 3 - 5% takeaway.

Maybe you oughta' come to work a little more often.
nah. mass hysteria generally works in my favor.

12yearsaslave

It's pretty straight forward, they put some money on the table, let you shuffle it a bit. Whatever overall value they see in your area doesn't change much no matter what you say. So if on your first round they give you waaaay less revenue, that might mean they undervalued your csa. Negotiator is not one to change that, reach out to your district engineer.

12yearsaslave

Just responding to the original post. With the contracts coming out recently it's a bad time to invest in a Ground route. While the overall pie of revenue and profit is growing FedEx wants our slice to get smaller and smaller. They claim growth will make up for the low rates they want to pay, apparently believing we can get drivers to do 175+ stops a day for $35k/year. They think our trucks can fit 400+ pieces on them a day. They've gone far beyond reasonable and expected greed.
My drivers make mid 40s plus benefits. It all depends on your business model. I got contractors running 100 stops per vehicle with drivers finishing by 2pm bitching about low revenue. That is a part time job you got there with that setup. It's all about quality of life for some guys.

It will be fine

My drivers make mid 40s plus benefits. It all depends on your business model. I got contractors running 100 stops per vehicle with drivers finishing by 2pm bitching about low revenue. That is a part time job you got there with that setup. It's all about quality of life for some guys.
You've missed the point of what I've been saying. I know how to efficiently engineer my routes. What's happening is a route that generates say $2000/week now under a new contract would generate $1600. Same stops and pieces and time, just a dramatic reduction in compensation. Fedex is taking all the profits from the routes. No profit margin means a bad business to invest in.

bbsam

Staff member
You've missed the point of what I've been saying. I know how to efficiently engineer my routes. What's happening is a route that generates say $2000/week now under a new contract would generate $1600. Same stops and pieces and time, just a dramatic reduction in compensation. Fedex is taking all the profits from the routes. No profit margin means a bad business to invest in.
Is that money going into safety/csi?

It will be fine

wow. I just don't understand that at all.
That's been the response from everyone I've talked to, from terminal manger, district engineer, district manager. Everyone except the negotiator that thinks it's a reasonable offer. I'm in a position where I don't need to accept it, but it makes me very concerned for the future.