Invisible Fences

mittam

I have always hated invisible fences. I feel they are cruel towards dogs, why can't the owner watch them or give them a real fence? That way they wouldn't have to get that nasty shock. Besides if you go onto a property and there is no fence you may not know of a dog there. Yes they hide, unless you see " dog mines " you may not know the dog is there until BITE BITE CHEW CHEW. Well today I liked that fence!!!!! As the chow mix was just about on my leg "from nowhere" got his unexpected shock. Oh he yelped the people were not home but I am sure the dog didn't wander off the porch for awhile.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
As the chow mix was just about on my leg "from nowhere" got his unexpected shock. Oh he yelped the people were not home but I am sure the dog didn't wander off the porch for awhile.

Not an advocate of cruelty to animals but THAT was funny lol:lol: :lol: . I've heard similar stories before but never from a UPS delivery driver. -Rocky

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I used to think shock collars and choker chains were cruel as well. The thing about fences is, even the best built ones are no match for the tenacious determination of four legged beasts. The other day, I went to a stop and saw 2 boxers inside the homeowner's fenced backyard. When i went to get the packages from the bulkhead, i could hear a dog sniffing around the car. One of the boxers had somehow gotten out of the fence and climed right up into the car!:ohmy: Fortunately she was really a sweet dog and was only looking for "cookies" she usually gets when we deliver. I played with her for a minute, then picked her up and lowered her back inside the fence. I didn't get halfway back to the car before she was hot on my heels. All i could think was, uh oh.... The house was located on a fairly busy highway where traffic usually runs about 45-55 mph (country road). I wouldve felt awful if something happened to her. So, once more, I put the dog back inside the fence and stood there watching as she leaped over the 5 ft fence with no trouble at all. After that, she was on her own. Did I just hijack this thread? :blushing:

Lowhigh

Over Dispatched
We have signage in our center, courtesy of the safety committee warning us about not interacting with dogs in any way, shape or form. If you get bit then the company is going to tell you they warned you about it. They are just covering their rear ends as usual. How did you know that there was an invisible fence? If I at all felt like I was going to get bit with or without the fence I would have found the appropriate button to push on the diad and moved on. I on the other hand am always looking for a good reason not to deliver a package to someone who irritates me. I guess that would fall into that catagory. If you don't like the fences let the people know you have a problem with them having dogs outside when you have to enter their property. Don't tell them you don't like the fence, tell them that you are in fear of the dogs with or without the fence. Like mentioned in the previous post, the fences only keep the most undetermined dogs in. Let them know that you will be happy to deliver the packages when the dogs are safely in the house. Let your supervisor know that there is an issue with dogs at that address and they should back you up based on the policy I mentioned above. Safety, they can't deny it to you. Good luck.

Hangingon

What's the appropriate button? We were told to put NI, but then when a driver recieved a complaint about no note, we were told to stop putting NI unless we leave a note on the door.

Lowhigh

Over Dispatched
If I saw the dogs milling about I would sheet as emergency condition. You just have to sheet it. I can't really admit to making an attempt so an NI just doesn't apply. Make sure you tell your supv. about this before it becomes a problem. They hate it when you don't tell them things.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
.Few dogs bother me, I can handle most of them. I don't have any on my route now I can't handle, I just speak sternly at them and don't turn my back toward them. I used to have a couple of vicious dogs at one house. I would pull up and honk my horn or call the owner to come out and get them. They would throw their selves at my side doors and try to get in my cab after chasing me all around the neighborhood. A couple of times I just pulled up next to their car and left the package on top in a DR bag. Too bad I lost that street last year when we went on EDD.:laugh:

Ms Spoken

I'm one of those people that has an under ground fence for my Labs. I would bet my next pay check that there is noway you could get them to cross the line. When we installed the fence I took the shock of it just so I would know how strong it was. We live on a busy road and I have lost three dogs before we bought the fence. So knock on wood one of my labs if 5 yrs old and still alive and never crosses the line.

Lowhigh

Over Dispatched
MISSED, Emergency Condition whatever they want. Let the ties decide. I am surprised they tell you sheet as missed. They don't like that button in my center at all.

Griff

I have always hated invisible fences. I feel they are cruel towards dogs, why can't the owner watch them or give them a real fence?

You should rebid onto the poor section of your local city/town. There are zero invisible fences, so this will be heaven for you. That chow mix will be replaced with pitbulls, rotts, german sheppards, and dobermans. I have personally seen all said breeds take down their fence in an effort to get a piece of me. Just a few months ago I was seen running for my life back to the truck on a busy city street with one of the most muscular and mean looking pitbulls I've ever seen right on my heels. Invisible fences...I wish.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Are you guys aware of the power of the Almighty Dog Biscuit? I'd be willing to bet that 80-85% of the dogs i encounter actually love the UPS man. We always have something good for 'em. And for the lesser percentage, I got something for them too....4-D cell maglite. It's a good device to provide a space cushion betwixt you and the dog. If the fell beast is not deterred, you can alway make hamburger out of his skull with it :w00t:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Are you guys aware of the power of the Almighty Dog Biscuit? I'd be willing to bet that 80-85% of the dogs i encounter actually love the UPS man.

Yeah, I'm aware of the power of those. A driver I helped carried a few of 'em. When I was in the helper training class, the trainer was hopping up and down when he told us not to carry those dog biscuits. Also, its a policy in many centers not to feed dogs. And yea, if they love us, its because they think Mr. Brown tastes particularly good. I had a few close calls when I was helper. IMHO, the maglite is a life preservation measure only. I got caught by surprise by a big but friendly Lab and my driver was amused when I got back to the truck. He said, "Most dogs don't like the brown uniforms for some reason." -Rocky

Ms Spoken

On my route I'm known as the "cookie" lady. So if a biscuit helps me get the package to the door then thats what I'm going to do. Just take one and toss it the other direction your going and most dogs will follow it and it gives you more time. I have had many close calls but, for me this works.

mittam

On my route I'm known as the "cookie" lady. So if a biscuit helps me get the package to the door then thats what I'm going to do. Just take one and toss it the other direction your going and most dogs will follow it and it gives you more time. I have had many close calls but, for me this works.

I always (well mostly ) carry biscuits with me I love most all the dogs I see. I was only one that knows this route out of the bid driver, he got hurt and was off work. These people didn't have a dog before and it took me by surprise. That won't happen again!

neverskiplunch

How the he$$ can a invisible fence be cruel to a dog? Get real people. It keeps them from running under people's vehicles or running next door and chewing up the neighbor's kids. Also it keep them from ****ting in other people's yards! And we're worried about a shock to the neck? Do what? Dogs don't know any better. Hello people! Wake up! Im mean if you screwed up at football practice, the coach made you run suicides! Which is worse, a shock to the neck or 50 suicides? Good gracious alive!

Sammie

How the he$$ can a invisible fence be cruel to a dog? Get real people. It keeps them from running under people's vehicles or running next door and chewing up the neighbor's kids. Also it keep them from ****ting in other people's yards! And we're worried about a shock to the neck? Do what? Dogs don't know any better. Hello people! Wake up! Im mean if you screwed up at football practice, the coach made you run suicides! Which is worse, a shock to the neck or 50 suicides? Good gracious alive!

In many new housing developments, 4000 sq ft homes are built 4 inches apart. Individual fencing is often not permitted in these associations due to cramped spaces and a common "green belt", however scenic, now becomes one's back yard. What other choices than shock collars and invisible fences do we have for pet owners in these circumstances?