InvisIble UPS guy

disneyworld

I used to deliver to an office with two different doctors that had two separate secrataries who sat right next to each other. Neither one would sign for the other. Seemed I was always walking out with packages.

M

Mike23

Oh, also say 'If no one signs for this it'll be sent back to the shipper after we contact your manager'. Usually this gets them to pay attention.

Cementups

Box Monkey
In almost everyone of these situations, my brown uniform gives me immunity from lines and doors. I will go right into someone personal space to get a signature. Not just their cubicle.....their personal space. More often sooner than later, people get it. Not many people like it when you get in their personal space.

pudg00

pudg00
My sup. told me to inform them right from the start that I need a sig. Wait 5 min. if no response inform them that pkg. will be returned. This works very well with a misload for a COSTCO (dock closes at 1)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In almost everyone of these situations, my brown uniform gives me immunity from lines and doors. I will go right into someone personal space to get a signature. Not just their cubicle.....their personal space. More often sooner than later, people get it. Not many people like it when you get in their personal space.

images

For those who don't recognize this, this is the "Close Talker" (Judge Reinhold) talking to Jerry's mother from Seinfeld.

Big Babooba

I don't think it's because you're UPS, they probably ignore everyone who goes there. When did you ever NOT have to wait to see a doctor? That seems to be one of the things they teach them in medical school. I've seen 2 new doctors recently, was ignored at the window, then given a form to fill out, the form request my driver lic # and ssn #. The ssn is no longer used for med ins, and why do they need my drivers lic #, then they wanted a picture ID? ( they're worried about getting paid, I'm worried about identity theft). I gave them a fake ssn, told them I didn't have a license and gave them my UPS id for picture ID.
They talk about medical fraud? but I'm supposed to trust their system won't get hacked????? or they won't sell my info??, if you think I'm paranoid maybe I am but a couple of yrs ago in NJ there was a bank where the employees sold all kinds of info to collection agencies etc.
So that explains why I'm getting all those doctor bills. Thanks a lot.:angry:.

ups1990

Very true. When a worker ignores me, I start to look for a door to open or knock on, this always gets their attention and they'll never do this to you again.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Makes it nice when you make the point with their payroll delivery. Sent it back once, never ever had a problem since.

And going behind the "off limits" doors work well too.

Nothing like going to the back of the office to where the nurses are to get the attention that the front office staff is not doing their job.

If you allow them to think your time is worthless, then they will treat you like that.

d

ups1990

Some of these very same people will quickly attend to a pharm. rep if they are carrying a box of bagels or doughnuts. Yeah, you have time for them but won't sign for your vaccines. Stuffing the pie-hole is foremost in their mind.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
My sup. told me to inform them right from the start that I need a sig. Wait 5 min.

Even if I waited 30 seconds I start getting antsy. Once you get the feeling that you're not going to get a sig from that person I start looking for anyone to sign, one other thing..I don't wait in line, I'm a cutter and I bull my way to anyone who's available.

Hedley_Lamarr

Had 20 boxes of phones cod. in a convenience store I waited. NO response I put packages back on car. They came out said talk to owner on phone I said Tomorrow. The next day I was in and out with cod in 5 minutes. AND its been good ever since. not invisable here.
I love COD's on my route. The Indians seem to think that COD means negotiate with the driver, try to get him to accept less than stated on the package. Try to get him to accept a company check when it plainly states on the box (CASHIERS CHECK OR MONEY ORDER ONLY!) Then they try to get me to talk to somebody on the phone..."Here daulk tu thees guy, hee weel tell you id izz ogay tu dake a coumpany chek....." Sorry sir, I need a CASHIERS CHECK OR MONEY ORDER ONLY! I don't give a sheet what the guy on the phone says....Well cand you leeeeve thee packeet and gum back for theee check later...Sorry sir I can't....God! What to do?!?!?

Hedley_Lamarr

Maybe it's just me, but I hate sendagains and will do all that I can to get rid of them. Sounds like your customer's need some training.
I've been trying, but these people are just untrainable. I've been able to train some of them, but others just don't friggen get it. I mean after all, I only have 150 stops to do plus pick ups....:angry:

Hedley_Lamarr

The only place I used to have a problem with this was grocery stores. They would think we were going to get in line with the other vendors. I`d say that I had a package for them and if they ignored me I`d stick a delivery notice on the window of the delivery cubicle and leave. Two days of this and on the third I would go to the courtesy counter in front of the store and have them sign for it and let them know what was going on in the back. I would get signatures right away after that.

For a doctors office the trick is to tell them its a box of candy and they`ll sign right away. By the time they find out its not you`re gone.
Ya know that's good..I never had to wait for some clerk in a doctors office to sign for a box of cookies....

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
I call out UPS, if they don't get it then I politely leave a notice and sheet as not ready and we'll try again another day. I hate send-agains but I also hate people who go out of their way to be rude or waste time.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Its a new world now days. Back in the day people would drop ANYTHING to sign the clipboard and get the driver on their way. Once you called out "ups" it was a race to see which employee could run over to receive their parcel. Now days its not uncommon for employees to "mess" with drivers and watch then get antsy. There has even been issues with drivers calling out ups and the customer in a retail setting gets upset because they were with a customer and thought it was rude. Sometimes you just have to wait...period, and ups should understand this. This kind of thing will only get worse in the future, not better.

bigbrownhen

I try not to deliver to my resturaunts between 12 and 1, and when I do I just stant to the inside of the counter and wait a few. Im not pushy, but stay in plain sight. They usually sign pretty quick. I also have the DMV on my route, always people in line there, same deal, stand to the side and wait a few. They always wave me forward, guess Im just fortunate to have good customers.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Reading these posts brings back a lot of memories . . . . frustrating ones. So happy to work at night now and the only person I have to deal with is on the other end of the phone when I say "coming in two" once I've gotten to my destination