Iran

804brown

It will be interesting to see how Iran responds when our carrier group sails back into the waters they warned us not to re-enter. As whacked as the Iranian leadership is, they have to know that they'd be wiped out easily. The economic sanctions are working very well, and the Iranian currency has been seriously de-valued. There is a very real threat of a public uprising against the current regime, so Shorty is feeling the pressure from both sides. He's between a rock and a hard place, and it will be interesting to see if he can squirm out of this situation.

Shorty also has to know what you mentioned about Israel and Saudi Arabia. The Mossad probably has already infiltrated the nuclear program as they did the missle program. There will probably be an "accident" at the weapons facility soon, which could keep Israel out of having to make a public attack to destroy it. He doesn't have very many good options.

I disagree with that statement. I think the opposite will occur. Look what happened in this country after sept 11, 2001. That attack brought the entire nation together, dems and repubs, libs and cons, etc. I think if we push the iranian leader (i cant spell his name) he will rally his nation and like most nationalists in ANY country, they will all rally behind their own flag and he will become popular,etc. I think a better and more humane policy would be to push for total nuclear disarmament for the middle east. A matter of fact it was part of the first iraq war's settlement: that the entire region would be nuclear free including israel!! Unfortunately, that part was never followed. Iran is pursuing nukes out of a rational fear for its national safety because of the threatening posture of isreal and the united states. It is these constant threats to iran that pushes them to build a deterrent. Nothing more.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Israel was imposed on the people of the middle east by UN mandate. That immediately didnt help the situation. Also in 1956 israel joined england and france in attacking egypt over the suez canal. Again in 1967 it was israel who attacked first , took other country's lands and til this day continue to occupy some of them, namely palestinian territory. Granted some these arab nations have some reactionary leaders ( we have had a few in this country too alas) such as the iranian nut but they have never attacked israel. He can spew as much nonsense as he wants to but he has no power to just attack or bomb israel. He is just a figure head without much real power. It is up to israel to be a better neighbor instead of the bully it has been all these years!!

In 1967, Israel was only about 15 miles wide at its narrowest point which in military terms is virtually indefensible. It was facing an imminent invasion by Syrian, Egyptian and Jordanian troops so it struck preemptively in order to destroy Arab aircraft on the ground and ensure air superiority over a battlefield that was merely minutes away from its population centers. Israel in 1967 was a nation that was surrounded on all sides by countries that were bent upon its destruction. It did not have the luxury of waiting to be attacked before responding.

Israel is known to have possessed 3 or 4 crude atomic bombs in 1967, yet it never used them. Nor did it use nuclear weapons during the 1973 Yom Kippur war when it was once again attacked by the combined forces of Syria, Egypt, Jordan and Iraq. 5 years after the Yom Kippur war Israel signed a peace treaty with Egypt and returned the entire Sinai region to Egyptian control, and it continues to honor that peace treaty today.

804brown

In 1967, Israel was only about 15 miles wide at its narrowest point which in military terms is virtually indefensible. It was facing an imminent invasion by Syrian, Egyptian and Jordanian troops so it struck preemptively in order to destroy Arab aircraft on the ground and ensure air superiority over a battlefield that was merely minutes away from its population centers. Israel in 1967 was a nation that was surrounded on all sides by countries that were bent upon its destruction. It did not have the luxury of waiting to be attacked before responding.

Israel is known to have possessed 3 or 4 crude atomic bombs in 1967, yet it never used them. Nor did it use nuclear weapons during the 1973 Yom Kippur war when it was once again attacked by the combined forces of Syria, Egypt, Jordan and Iraq. 5 years after the Yom Kippur war Israel signed a peace treaty with Egypt and returned the entire Sinai region to Egyptian control, and it continues to honor that peace treaty today.

Who started the 1967 war?? Who STARTED the Six-Day War?

In 1973, israel wasnt attacked or invaded. The arab forces attempted to retake their own land that had been taken by israel in an illegal war and occupation!!

Yes it continues to honor the peace treaty with egypt but it also continues to illegally occupy palestinian lands. They are still in violation of UN resolution 242!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
havez And Ahmadinejad Meet In Venezuela, Tell “Imperial Yankee” Obama To “Forget About Dominating The World”…

Wait, Obama wants to dominate the world?

CARACAS (Reuters) – Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez dismissed a U.S. warning to avoid close ties with Iran on Sunday, denouncing what he said was Washington’s attempt to dominate the world as he welcomed the Iranian president to the Latin American nation.

Iran’s Mahmoud Ahmadinejad arrived at the start of a tour to shore up support from the region’s leftist leaders, as tough new Western sanctions aim to isolate the Islamic republic and target its vital oil exports.

“A spokesman or spokeswoman in Washington from the State Department or the White House said it was not convenient for any country to get close to Iran. Well, the truth is, it made you laugh,” Chavez said in a televised speech.

“They’re not going to be able to dominate this world. Forget about it (President Barack) Obama, forget about it. It would be better to think about the problems in your country, which are many,” he said.

“We are free. The people of Latin America will never again kneel, dominated by the imperial Yankee. Never again,” he said, to applause from his audience at an oil processing facility

wkmac

Sec. of Defense Panetta along with Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Gen. Dempsey were on Face the Nation yesterday and about 1 minute 20 seconds into the interview, Sec. Panetta made it very clear that Iran doesn't have nuclear weapons or the more important point he admits they are not trying to develop a nuclear weapon. See the vid here. But what is the capability Iran is trying to achieve that has everyone so worked up?

From what I've read, nobody objected to Iran processing 4% nuclear material which is what is used to generate nuke power. Iran (unlike Israel) is a signatory to the Non-Proliferation Treaty but it appears to me that where the current upset lay is Iran is in fact upping the capability to process 20% nuke material which is necessary in nuclear medicine. The medical isotopes are used in cancer treatment. Iran is still having problems achieving this level and is still having to buy the 20% material from outside sources. Can a 20% centrifuge cascade be upscaled to process 90% material for nuke weapons? Sure but the scale and cost to achieve is again very big.

North Korea began it's entry into the nuclear ago in 1962' and here we are 50 years later and ironic that the London newspaper Telegraph reports today that North Korea at best have a dozen nukes and there's good cause to question that they still have any at all.

IMO, the nuclear excuse is just the cover story not unlike the whole WMD or Al Qaeda connections we used to go after Saddam Hussein and Iraq. But then this begs the question, what is the real reason?

moreluck

golden ticket member
I think Panetta said what he believes to be the truth. I'm pretty sure that no one believes that Iran currently has nukes.
Kind of like Bush with WMDs.

I believe that Iran wants the world to think they already have them. Ahmanutjob sees to that!

klein

Für Meno :)
010912iran.jpg

Nuke work confirmed inside Iranian bunker

Activity at an underground site protected by air defense missiles has the U.N. worried. Location adds to concerns

klein

Für Meno :)
If Iran ( or anyone else)decides to nuke the US.....Canada looses too.

Actually, it might be the opposite, just like the US gained after WWII. When most of Europe needed rebuiding, and the US gained from all those exports to Europe and even Japan.

But, I don't even think of that possibility, because the US will stop that from ever happening, atleast in the near future, anyways.

Actually, it might be the opposite, just like the US gained after WWII. When most of Europe needed rebuiding, and the US gained from all those exports to Europe and even Japan.

But, I don't even think of that possibility, because the US will stop that from ever happening, atleast in the near future, anyways.
Have you never heard of nuklar fallout?

moreluck

golden ticket member

Yeah, that's what Obama will do.......NOT!! He wants to have 'Kumbaya' with the taliban and is shrinking the military. He's not interested in anything but campaigning.

Ohhhhh........So when the bad guys have nukes all the sudden we're your buddies again? Sorry pal you're toast. Glowing radioactive toast.

804brown

If Iran ( or anyone else)decides to nuke the US.....Canada looses too.

What nonsense. Iran possibly having a nuke doesnt frighten me. Nor should it frighten israel. That nuke will have a return address. Rational people in iran know this. What does worry me is the nuclear technology out there that rogue element can get their hands on. Worry about proliferation , not iran. Their civilization has been around for several thousand years. Why would they jeopardize their existence with a moment of insanity??