Irreg tape

worldwide

"The driver shall complete and affix as many additional over 70 pound labels and/or identifying tape as reasonably necessary to provide proper visual identification of the package for safe movement through the system. "

Based on the contract, the yellow 70-lb labels can be placed on the packages instead of highlight tape ("and/or" language). Should a local sort person file a grievance against the driver when he/she attempts to unloads an over-70 lb package from a package car or trailer that does not "provide proper visual identification of the package?" In this example, who is at fault and what should the penalty be?

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I fixed the problem of over 70's on my route by talking to the shippers and make sure they have the highlight tape. They are more than willing to put it on for me because the businesses that ship over 70's have safety teams that want to do the right thing. Makes my job easier!

over9five

Staff member
Matts got the best answer. Always try to get the customer to do the work for you. I carry over 70 tape, it's nothing to slap it on as you roll that fridge onto your car!

LKLND3380

"The driver shall complete and affix as many additional over 70 pound labels and/or identifying tape as reasonably necessary to provide proper visual identification of the package for safe movement through the system. "

Based on the contract, the yellow 70-lb labels can be placed on the packages instead of highlight tape ("and/or" language). Should a local sort person file a grievance against the driver when he/she attempts to unloads an over-70 lb package from a package car or trailer that does not "provide proper visual identification of the package?" In this example, who is at fault and what should the penalty be?

But read what the rest says:
ARTICLE 44. OVER 70 POUND SERVICE PACKAGE HANDLING

Section 2. Package Identification
The Employer agrees that it will instruct it's customers to place at least (1) over 70 pound label on all such packages shipped, enter the weight of the package on the label and notify the pick-up driver of the over 70 pound packages to be picked up. The driver shall complete and affix as many additional over 70 pound labels and/or identifying tape as reasonably necessary to provide proper visual identification of the package for safe movement through the system. The label and tape shall be of bright contrasting colors. No package will move through the system without enough tape clearly visible from all sides identifying the package as over seventy (70) pounds.

Based on the contract language I think it is very clear: tape clearly visible from all sides identifying the package as over seventy (70) pounds.

They could trace it back to who accepted the package but it falls on the last person handling it by allowing it to move through the system. Now if a supe is directing employees to "work faster/increase production" then the employee is working as directed...

We have to remember the origin of this thread...
"At my building, Management makes Irreg tape very hard to find. Me, and a number of other Irreg Drivers prefer to place Irreg tape on all of the over 70 lb packages we see, so they are properly labeled in compliance with Article 44. Management, however, sees it differently. They think that it takes us too much time to do it, apparently, so they make tape hard to find.
One of the Full Timers told me he had to threaten a grievance to find some one day.

worldwide

Great information but you did not answer my question.

Should a local sort person file a grievance against the driver when he/she attempts to unloads an over-70 lb package from a package car or trailer that does not "provide proper visual identification of the package?" In this example, who is at fault and what should the penalty be?

If it "falls on the last person handling it" to place tape on the package, then what is the proper respose to the driver (or Customer Center person) that did not place tape on the package?

aspenleaf

Should a local sort person file a grievance against the driver when he/she attempts to unloads an over-70 lb package from a package car or trailer that does not "provide proper visual identification of the package?" In this example, who is at fault and what should the penalty be?

If it "falls on the last person handling it" to place tape on the package, then what is the proper respose to the driver (or Customer Center person) that did not place tape on the package?

None of my trucks have the tape (and I never see my drivers with tape) so how would my drivers apply tape if they don’t have any? I would not file against my drivers for something they can't control and I think they'd be in trouble if they refused to accept the package.

worldwide

aspenleaf--you posted earlier that you had to ask for the stickers and the tape. What is preventing any other employee from asking for the same thing? They are a standard center supply item. The contract states that "The driver shall complete and affix as many additional over 70 pound labels and/or identifying tape as reasonably necessary to provide proper visual identification of the package for safe movement through the system." That seems like clear language as to who is responsible to ensure the packages are marked. It is the responsibility of the center to supply the tape and labels--if they are not doing so, that should be brough to the on-road sup, the center manager and on up the food chain. Responsibility also exists at the driver and local sort level--they need to ask for the supplies and look for them as well.

If you need to tell the business manager what to order, the item number of the stickers is 011468. I got this number right from ups.com so there is no big secret on obtaining the supply information. Not sure of the tape order number as it is not listed on ups.com

"I would not file against my drivers for something they can't control and I think they'd be in trouble if they refused to accept the package."

They can control it and the contract indicates it is their responsibility to do so. The customer has to put an over-70 label on the package so the driver would have the right to refuse a package that is not properly labled--just like an international package missing documentation. The contract has responsibilities on both sides.

aspenleaf

aspenleaf--you posted earlier that you had to ask for the stickers and the tape. What is preventing any other employee from asking for the same thing? They are a standard center supply item. The contract states that "The driver shall complete and affix as many additional over 70 pound labels and/or identifying tape as reasonably necessary to provide proper visual identification of the package for safe movement through the system." That seems like clear language as to who is responsible to ensure the packages are marked. It is the responsibility of the center to supply the tape and labels--if they are not doing so, that should be brough to the on-road sup, the center manager and on up the food chain. Responsibility also exists at the driver and local sort level--they need to ask for the supplies and look for them as well.

If you need to tell the business manager what to order, the item number of the stickers is 011468. I got this number right from ups.com so there is no big secret on obtaining the supply information. Not sure of the tape order number as it is not listed on ups.com

"I would not file against my drivers for something they can't control and I think they'd be in trouble if they refused to accept the package."

They can control it and the contract indicates it is their responsibility to do so. The customer has to put an over-70 label on the package so the driver would have the right to refuse a package that is not properly labled--just like an international package missing documentation. The contract has responsibilities on both sides.

Yes I did ask for tape and I made my sup put the over 70 sticker on that should have been put on by the customer. Also the workers that sent me that irregs should have stopped it and put the labels and tape on it but they did not. So had I not done that should my drivers file on me? What if I could not have found tape or had time to handle them? That may be true about the drivers asking for tape but I still would not file on my drivers. If they are out on route how would they get the tape? Should they wait for someone to bring it?

over9five

Staff member
What if the pickup account is a feeder pickup? Should the feeder driver be held responsible for labeling over 70s that the customer loads on the trailer?

According to Worldwide, the driver IS responsible.

I think the feeder driver should take every package out of that trailer to ensure any over 70 is properly labeled. It is HIS responsibility.

LKLND3380

None of my trucks have the tape (and I never see my drivers with tape) so how would my drivers apply tape if they don’t have any? I would not file against my drivers for something they can't control and I think they'd be in trouble if they refused to accept the package.

The tape can be applied back at the building...

LKLND3380

It could be simple ignorance of the contract or ignorance of proper methods. Maybe both... It is up to UPS management/supes to properly train safe work methods. IF any hourly goes to management with a safety concern and management does not properly address the concern then Management is at fault...

The original post said the supes were hiding and/or making overweight tape unavailable to hourlies attempting to follow safe work methods.