IRS vs Amazon: 1.5B Tax Bill, Bezos Too Busy

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Well bottom line is that people are now e-shoppers and whether it's Amazon or someone else people will continue to buy online and it will need to be shipped/delivered.

MechLift

I agree. I also think there will be about ten amazons ten years from now. Just imagine if ups decided to start their own Amazon. Logisticly it would be very easy.
Transportation and retail are two different competencies. I cannot think of a retail outfit that does both, Home Depot sort of.

oldngray

nowhere special
A long time ago several retail stores had their own delivery services. That went away because it was cheaper to use carriers like UPS to deliver those packages.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The only problem is we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot. We would be competing with the companies with which we currently are partnered so all that miscellaneous volume could dry up. If I'm Walmart no way I'm paying Target a dollar to deliver my stuff.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS looked at diversification outside the Transportation sector some 20 years ago, tried it and decided against it.
UPS for the foreseeable future will concentrate on Transportation sector activities.

MechLift

UPS looked at diversification outside the Transportation sector some 20 years ago, tried it and decided against it.
There was the passenger airline foray, but what an overcrowded industry.

FedEx is making a stab at the retail space with FedEx Offices but I do not think they are learning much when you see highlighters for $2.99 each, candy bar counters and permanent Hiring Now signs.