Is America's Longest Running War About To Come To An End?

wkmac

A clear majority of Americans now want to see marijuana legalized. Fifty-six percent believe it should be treated like alcohol or tobacco. Only thirty-six percent defend the status quo. What's more, the trend has been moving towards the pro-legalization position, and continues to do so.
It is about time. The entire drug war is a monstrosity, a crime against the Bill of Rights, the greatest contributor to gang violence, a wholesale attack on our civil liberties and the right of individuals to control their own bodies. Characterizing drug problems as a criminal justice issue has been an unmitigated failure, except for serving law-enforcement special interests, growing the bureaucracy, and deepening the pockets of drug kingpins who profit off this madness.

Is It The Beginning of the End for the War on Pot?

wkmac

It's all going to come down to the fact that we desperately need the jail space !!

Just curious More, the US has 5% of the world's population and yet leads the world with 25% of the total number of incarcerations. At present we incarcerate over 700 people per 100k population, followed by the evil criminal Russia at 600 per 100k and then China who is still communist and we're told oppressive incarcerates about 150 per 100k population. Your favorite bad boy Iran is half our rate and North Korea who imprisons a high degree of political prisoners is still below us.

Seems ironic that the nation that claims the mantle of liberty and freedom for the world would lead the world in prison population but let me ask you this. You said we need the prison space, who would you be thinking of to imprison in their place?

klein

Für Meno :)
I say it's all going to come down to the money.
And California will lead the way, since they so disperatly need those extra taxes and revenue.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I say it's all going to come down to the money.
And California will lead the way, since they so disperatly need those extra taxes and revenue.
it must be cold down below cause I agree with Klein it comes down to much needed tax revenue.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The prisons are extremely overcrowded......so if there are no prisoners for pot.....then the jails will just be adequate for the remaining bad guys. No replacements necessary........just a spread out at arms length for those left.

Jails are for people who break laws. Change the laws if you think people shouldn't go to jail.

Whatever law you all decide on....I'm obeying it because I don't want to go to jail.

wkmac

The prisons are extremely overcrowded......so if there are no prisoners for pot.....then the jails will just be adequate for the remaining bad guys. No replacements necessary........just a spread out at arms length for those left.

Jails are for people who break laws. Change the laws if you think people shouldn't go to jail.

Whatever law you all decide on....I'm obeying it because I don't want to go to jail.

Based on so many of your past comments, you don't come off appearing to be concerned about prison overcrowding so I never considered that within your remarks in post #2.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Based on so many of your past comments, you don't come off appearing to be concerned about prison overcrowding so I never considered that within your remarks in post #2.

I love the Arpaio way with the pink underwear...........it's OK to humiliate the adults.....since it seems OK for teachers to humilate 8 yr. olds and nobody thinks it's a problem.

50 Cents a day for meals? Works for me. Arpaio methods should be adopted across the country. If you hate pr ison enough you might not want to comeback.

As far as crowding.....if you get rid of all the pot offenders....things maybe could spread out and they wouldn't be up each other's butts.....oh, wait.........we're gonna need lots of soap-on-a-rope!!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Won't help the overcrowding much most of them are in for stealing to get money to pay for the drugs. Those drugs will probably cost more now that you will have taxes and everything added on.