Is BC like fight club?

Overpaid Union Thug

I'd like specific examples of UPSers invoking their First Amendment rights upon being threatened with disciplinary action.

We probably don't hear about UPSers being disciplined or terminated for content posted online simply because that rarely, if ever happens. Not because we're constitutionally protected from our CMs and DMs.
I believe "Steve The UPS Guy" was suspended for posting pics here. Probably should have been given a warning letter first though.

Box Ox

They are mostly protected. See my link I posted earlier. Much of the content on the Vote No UPS Contract " page is, or could be construed as, protected "concerted activity."

Protected Concerted Activity is a legal term used in labor policy to define employee protection against employer retaliation in the United States. It is a legal principle under the subject of the freedom of association. It defines the activities workers may partake in without fear of employer retaliation.

I see! So anyone who would like to change their user names to their real names here on BC should go for it since we're protected by law anyway?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The U.S. Constitution:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Freedom of speech? ... better ask your boss

The U.S. Constitution's free speech protections apply only to action by the government.

That means the government can't prevent you from expressing your opinion, such as speaking at a political rally or writing a letter to the editor of the local newspaper.

By contrast, except for limited exceptions, there's nothing to keep your employer from firing you, or taking other disciplinary action, for what you say at the water cooler, in a company newsletter, or even on your own personal blog.

Anonymity

Many people don't want the things they say online to be connected with their offline identities.

Instead of using their true names to communicate, these people choose to speak using pseudonyms (assumed names) or anonymously (no name at all). For these individuals and the organizations that support them, secure anonymity is critical.

Anonymous communications have an important place in our political and social discourse. The Supreme Court has ruled repeatedly that the right to anonymous free speech is protected by the First Amendment

These long-standing rights to anonymity and the protections it affords are critically important for the Internet. As the Supreme Court has recognized, the Internet offers a new and powerful democratic forum in which anyone can become a "pamphleteer" or "a town crier with a voice that resonates farther than it could from any soapbox."

I originally posted this in 2009: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...m-i-free-to-speak-my-mind.230139/#post-505260

@cheryl, I was going to reply to oldroadbeech with a reference to Steve. However, I couldn't find him in a search of members. Has his account been deleted?

I miss him and his humor.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I see! So anyone who would like to change their user names to their real names here on BC should go for it since we're protected by law anyway?
Nope. My party, my rules. No real names.
I believe "Steve The UPS Guy" was suspended for posting pics here. Probably should have been given a warning letter first though.
I could be wrong but I think it all started when he posted a pic of his supervisor or manager driving a package car with the bulkhead door open. This ticked off management in his center and they went after him full force.

Here's a thread about how it developed after that: http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/warning-picture-posters-beware.221837/

Overpaid Union Thug

In theory. If you want to do that and you know, and stay on, the right side of the guidelines then you SHOULD be fine. Or.... you just play it safe and keep the extra layer of protection that being anonymous provides.

Gear

Parts on Order
Union members shouldnt be worried about losing their jobs. Everyone is always worried about being fired, its crazy.

Rule #1 Never steal a package.
Rule #2 Do your job.

Gear

Parts on Order
How long g have you worked here?

If they really want you gone,they will find a way.

Don't give them an excuse to do so.

I guess not long enough. Guys around here laugh at how many times they've been fired. Ive heard of a mech being fired for watching movies on the clock. Supposedly they set up cameras and taped him several days. Also heard they fired a feeder driver for sleeping on the clock, supposedly someone was following him. Who knows if its true, its always some driver or some mechanic. Plus most stories are rumors.

I guess not long enough. Guys around here laugh at how many times they've been fired. Ive heard of a mech being fired for watching movies on the clock. Supposedly they set up cameras and taped him several days. Also heard they fired a feeder driver for sleeping on the clock, supposedly someone was following him. Who knows if its true, its always some driver or some mechanic. Plus most stories are rumors.
I've been here a long time. Just saying don't give them any extra reasons to cause you grief.

JL 0513

Say if someone came on here, and called out a member of management by full name even if the poster is anonymous, it could definitely lead to discipline up to termination. For example, a poster described a meeting behind closed doors discussing an incident at work and the poster called out the center manager by name about what he said and that it was stupid and the center manager is an idiot and so forth. If this center manager was someone that browses BC and sees his full name connected with this specific private meeting, how do you think this would work out for the worker? No "free speech" protection there.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
My rule of thumb...Never post anything that could get you fired. They can figure almost all of us by reading enough of our posts. I never post anything that I wouldn't tell anyone to their face. Coming on here and being a keyboard bully is lame and uncalled for. I know several active posters and they are all good people and I consider them friends. Let's try and be civil people.

JL 0513

I never talk about brown club. I've never once heard this site uttered at my center. I think we all act like it doesn't exist at work. I have to imagine UPS and management hates that there is a brown club because we are empowered to talk anonymously about issues regarding the company without dealing with a target on our back if we voiced some of these things at the center.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I always told others about BC , some were already here, and some thanked me for letting them know about it .

I'm past the part where I have to worry about what UPS would do to me.
Now it's their turn to worry what I can do to them:beafraid:.

L

Little Brownie Girl

..The studies show the impact and injuries of this type of management and the millions of dollars of fines from OSHA...I have friends who worked 25 years without filing a grievance and others who can't make it a week......and its in the same company doing the same job...

how can it be run so extreme to do the same job.in two different hubs? ..it seems the goal would be the same everywhere..
Depends on who is in charge. You have three different kinds of supervisors. Number one who is just trying to get enough time in,to get the heck out of there.

Number two.
The name maker. The one who can issue the most discipline to make a name for himself

Number three
Somebody who actually gives a :censored2: and tries to fix what he can.