Is being a UPS delivery driver a good career

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am on day 31 of 40 days out on the road. I have scratched about 5 of the 31 days. I have seen drivers at my center that have hot their 40th day and haven't been out on the road again. Aren't you automatically in once you hit your 40?

I was under the impression that it was 30 days and that if you worked that 30th day you were given your seniority.

trickpony1

Our center manager is riding with a driver tomorrow who will be on his 30th day to see if he qualifies and gets his seniority

Sounds more subjective than objective to me.
Does the center manager do this with every candidate?
Did the newbie turn good, verifiable numbers?
Is it a matter of "did the newbie feed my (center manager's) ego"?
Will the center manager be in a good mood tomorrow?

I don't like the premise behind this at all.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sounds more subjective than objective to me.
Does the center manager do this with every candidate?
Did the newbie turn good, verifiable numbers?
Is it a matter of "did the newbie feed my (center manager's) ego"?
Will the center manager be in a good mood tomorrow?

I don't like the premise behind this at all.

Yes, our center manager rides with every driver who makes it to their 30th day. This is an essential part of the qualification process, primarily to make sure that both the driver and the on-car who trained him/her are doing their jobs correctly.

It should be a very interesting ride as the driver in question had his personal car hit (substantial damage) in the company parking lot while he was on road. Came back, saw his car and was understandably quite upset. We are pretty sure that it wasn't one of our drivers; however, we do get a lot of trailers from Canada and think that it may have been one of their drivers. Yes, we have cameras, but for some reason the one closest to his car was either not working or was not recording.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
My understanding is that in order to make book, you have to have a center manager ride to sign off on the book and or division manager ride as well.
When I made book, I had to ride with center manager and DM.
If you do not ride with either within your 30 days you are most likely a seasonal driver (IMO) or your 30 days has been extended

LongIslandNewbie

I am telling you We were told 40 days at training in Long Island City. Guy I trained with is on day 36, I am now on 32. I confirmed this morning, at my Center its 40 days.

CleverNameHere

Nope it's a POS walk away. Unless being owned and increasingly ridiculous demands by the company sound good. Remember you "can't take it with you." And some people for whatever reason enjoy or are at least completely not bothered by the workload. 140 lb boxes all over 50+ heavy pkgs at schools, beauty supply, basically places with no dock.
Every good time of year for everyone else will be ruined for you. Holidays?? HAHA you'll be cursing your life besides being able to afford stuff for your loved ones you'll barely see.
Summer? Same forget it you will be too exhausted and worried about hydration and rest to enjoy that beautiful time outdoors, bbqing, etc to do anything.
I think the mindset of some is so anal retentive that "work work money money" becomes a robotic mantra. While their loved ones suffer. Now, if you are a single guy doing what you please in spare time anyway, go for it. Otherwise you'll turn into someone that the people you love and work so hard for won't want to be around you anyway.
If they eliminated the stuff that should be shipped freight in the first place, hired enough drivers... Different story. Was hospitalized for psychiatric reasons over the stress. It's more than "not for everyone" it's "not for barely anyone."

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Nope it's a POS walk away. Unless being owned and increasingly ridiculous demands by the company sound good. Remember you "can't take it with you." And some people for whatever reason enjoy or are at least completely not bothered by the workload. 140 lb boxes all over 50+ heavy pkgs at schools, beauty supply, basically places with no dock.
Every good time of year for everyone else will be ruined for you. Holidays?? HAHA you'll be cursing your life besides being able to afford stuff for your loved ones you'll barely see.
Summer? Same forget it you will be too exhausted and worried about hydration and rest to enjoy that beautiful time outdoors, bbqing, etc to do anything.
I think the mindset of some is so anal retentive that "work work money money" becomes a robotic mantra. While their loved ones suffer. Now, if you are a single guy doing what you please in spare time anyway, go for it. Otherwise you'll turn into someone that the people you love and work so hard for won't want to be around you anyway.
If they eliminated the stuff that should be shipped freight in the first place, hired enough drivers... Different story. Was hospitalized for psychiatric reasons over the stress. It's more than "not for everyone" it's "not for barely anyone."
You need to learn to play the game my friend
It's cardboard you get done when you get done
No reason to get all stressed out over it

CleverNameHere

Ha "get done when you get done" is unacceptable. I can think of very few jobs where you just have to live with that lifestyle. Especially as hard as we work. More to it than "just cardboard". Much more

mrbrownstone

I couldn't agree more.

I think they should force the poor excuses for human beings in IE to ride along with us and see what their every growing workload has done to us.

Also holidays in this company are nothing but punishment. We get punished for the extra day off by being destroyed the next 4 days of the week. I don't even look forward to holidays because it will mean 12hr days the rest of week. Granted 11hrs is normal anyway.

Someday I will get out and take a nice paycut to have a life.

Savvy412

I did 30 (last November ) and never rode with any one aside from training .

One day the sup and manager followed me for a couple stops .. Said good job .. Beep louder.. Ok
And after my 30 I told them and he was like. Ya your good your basically running scratch and no accidents right ? No .. Ok

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
image.gif
Ha "get done when you get done" is unacceptable. I can think of very few jobs where you just have to live with that lifestyle. Especially as hard as we work. More to it than "just cardboard". Much more

Savvy412

Psychiatric help for this job? Woah

It's stressful but come on now ... You must be a very prideful person and wanted to run scratch every day or something

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I did 30 (last November ) and never rode with any one aside from training .

One day the sup and manager followed me for a couple stops .. Said good job .. Beep louder.. Ok
And after my 30 I told them and he was like. Ya your good your basically running scratch and no accidents right ? No .. Ok
I honestly think they come out to follow us because they can have an excuse to take a three hour lunch and do nothing