Is being a UPS delivery driver a good career

CleverNameHere

Worked over 10 years pt. Load unload primary sort you name it.. while working 2 other jobs most of the time outside ups. So no YOU give ME a break. Not trolling I know wtf I'm talking about. Any position at ups is demanding and I enjoy physical work, and have lived the struggle for years. Fact is going from anything to package is going from bad to ridiculous and the sad truth is it doesn't have to be that way. All we need is some union backbone regarding more routes/drivers out daily, regulate bulk, regulate over 70s. It's not rocket science. There are harder manual labor jobs, I've done them. THEY ARE NEVER consistently 10-12 hour days.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
If you talk to someone who didn't work pt very long and when they did they didn't have to work another job with it or if you talk to someone who has never had a hard job an example would be a job with long hours in :censored2:ty weather conditions with no shade... then that person is more likely to tell you this isn't a good career, your body can't take it, bla bla bla. Talk to someone who has actually struggled and had to bust their ass at a physically demanding job and you'll get a different response. Not everyone is the same therefor not everyone can take the same punishment.

Is 12.5 years working preload, with a full time job during the day tough enough?
Is still running a route at age 63 tough enough?

I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone!

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I now have a stalker that follows me and slaps me with red X's.

I feel special.
image.jpg

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'm not a driver, just preload, but it's crazy the amount of people on here who consistently complain and whine.

Load 4 trucks in 4 hours and make 11 an hour or unload one truck in 10 hours and make 35 an hour. Which one is harder? I have never driven for UPS a day in my life but I already know the answer.
You have no idea how management rides your ass as a driver. And you do realize that drivers also have pickups as well as deliveries? Some routes pick up more packages than they deliver.

What you don't know about UPS could fill the Grand Canyon.....lol

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
What you don't know about UPS could fill the Grand Canyon.....lol

I definitely agree with you on that.

Regardless, I do want to just keep plugging away until I get full time warehouse or driver. I'm getting burnt out from the landscaping and honestly owning a business just isn't for me anymore

CleverNameHere

Don't leave UPS altogether, don't give up, if you really want to be a driver then by all means try seasonal or permanent, you'll have a qualifying period, within the first few weeks of that you should know whether you truly want to have that BS as a permanent part of your life or not. If you somehow get a chance to go article 22 (Inside/inside, air driver/inside) by all means do that. You might not work optimum hours for a "normal" life (maybe twilight/night, night/sunrise) but your life will still not suck as much because you won't be constantly dreading work and wondering just what kind of crap you will be walking into day to day.

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
Worked over 10 years pt. Load unload primary sort you name it.. while working 2 other jobs most of the time outside ups. So no YOU give ME a break. Not trolling I know wtf I'm talking about. Any position at ups is demanding and I enjoy physical work, and have lived the struggle for years. Fact is going from anything to package is going from bad to ridiculous and the sad truth is it doesn't have to be that way. All we need is some union backbone regarding more routes/drivers out daily, regulate bulk, regulate over 70s. It's not rocket science. There are harder manual labor jobs, I've done them. THEY ARE NEVER consistently 10-12 hour days.

Lmao. You're just a huge baby. Did you get picked on in elementary school too?