Is being an overachiever at UPS worth it?

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The harder you work, the harder they work you.

Today during break, I had a maroon from the small sort bragging about the supervisors putting him all over the place. He thinks that he's the best worker because the supervisors are throwing him all over the place and working him like a dog. He even had the nerve to say that not everybody can do it, and then implying that I was less of a worker than he is because that have never moved out of the unload. I think this guy has an alter ego from all the yelling, one and one intimidation in the sups office and abuses that he has gotten from the sups. I can't wait for them to crack him (make him quit). I know its working, because he once told me that he felt like to quit because of the abuse, lol.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Today during break, I had a maroon from the small sort bragging about the supervisors putting him all over the place. He thinks that he's the best worker because the supervisors are throwing him all over the place and working him like a dog. He even had the nerve to say that not everybody can do it, and then implying that I was less of a worker than he is because that have never moved out of the unload. I think this guy has an alter ego from all the yelling, one and one intimidation in the sups office and abuses that he has gotten from the sups. I can't wait for them to crack him (make him quit). I know its working, because he once told me that he felt like to quit because of the abuse, lol.
Again, I ask...English is not your first language, is it?

Island

Unions do not enforce mediocrity. Nor do they mean everyone can go slow while one guy does all the work. What they create is an environment where jobs are steady and everyone is primed to do the same amount of work. The union environment allows for no single person to be forced to work really hard. Unfortunately the company's seniority maneuvering and the lax behavior of many local halls add up to the "most people are average, some work slow, and a few work really hard, but everyone agrees that they are individually being screwed" situation. I don't think that's ever going to change in America.
I work hard because I have a strong work ethic. I hate standing still. When my supervisor buries me under a mountain and expects me to perform a one-man miracle I slow down and make him find another employee to help me. I go at my own pace.

In athletics you learn to pace yourself. If you sprint full speed, you won't be running all day long. If you find that perfect jog where your breath is even, you can go until your muscles give out, rather than your heart. It is the same as an hourly laborer with constant workflow. If you go crazy in a trailer and unload it in 20 minutes then the company will expect you to keep doing that. Unfortunately your health will rapidly decline, and your management won't care. If you find that pace where you aren't breathing hard but you're still in constant motion, stay there. I live in that zone.

BrownChoice

And if you want days off do not be a hard worker. If your slow youll always be asked if you want the day off.

Im not that way but see it happen all the time.

MethodsMan

I love my union and everything it stands for, but I find humor that people who are competent at their job get looked down upon by their peers.

I've been a loader for a few months and I was seasonal but they kept me and since then I guess they saw potential in me. I've heard from other coworkers working hard will gain you respect, but nothing else, and to stay an average worker. I defiantly take pride if I do well but let's be honest, is it worth the backbreaking labor to go that extra mile? Would you rather work very hard and have respect or be average and have less expected? You're still getting the same amount of $ obviously.
In a nut shell yes.

If you want to 'overachieve', put all that extra energy into getting the loads right for the drivers. Take pride in helping out a fellow union member, not management and their fictional numbers.

Island

If you want to 'overachieve', put all that extra energy into getting the loads right for the drivers. Take pride in helping out a fellow union member, not management and their fictional numbers.
The better you load, the more cars you're going to be assigned to load. That's another case of hard work being rewarded with harder work.
As many others have said, just make sure you're not terrible and you'll be ok.
I have learned over time that the load quality of a car has nothing to do with the loader, and everything to do with preload supervisory decisions. Which is why I've been pretty pissed off when the company successfully convinces drivers that their trucks are screwed all because of the loaders. Is it that loader's fault that you made him load 5 cars? And your dispatch blew 4 of them out?
I help my brothers in person when they need something lifted or they need to learn a better way to perform a task, or when they need a resource they don't know how to get for themselves. Why yes, I do have a spare grievance form. And yes, I can get you a pen.

browntroll

i have seen so many preloaders stuck loading 6 trucks, now management wont let them leave preload even when they request it.
they ask a shop steward and he tries to bs them to agree with management. i saw the funniest thing yesterday, had an unloader looking for a
grievance form which shop steward stone walled him so guy asked an air driver(he keeps them instock), best part was when the unloader
asked the pt sup he was filing against for a pen and wrote out the form in front of sup on his desk.

wayfair

swollen member

totally agree with this... I'm not sure how loading the PC right will get you more work(loading more cars)

my pre loader from last peak was a 15 year loader, built a perfect stop for stop, walk-thru load everyday... never a misload...

mixyo

Dispatcher
I used to go above and beyond what was expected of me, but after a couple months I soon realized I was being taken advantage of. No more mr. nice guy. I do MY job and thats it - I'm not doing other peoples jobs as well.

Sent using BrownCafe App

'Lord Brown's bidding'

There is one caveat in working just hard enough....

We talk as if the union environment is just cold hard facts and articles....but it is people who oversee us, with emotions, likes, and what not. Just as we drivers go a little extra for customers and/or management who have done so for us, management does not forget, and even the impression you leave on your coworkers could have them speaking up for you at a needed time to the right person. I've been there and had that personally happen for me....

It is why I cringe when people say,"I'll only do enough, give em nothing more", or "I'll file a grievance if my center manager so much as says 'Hello' to me off the clock!" Goodwill can be like money in the bank. And besides, them giving me extra work is sort of like a compliment, and they'll like - or at least more willingly tolerate having you around.

Previously created goodwill may come in handy for some of the Maspeth 250, while the needlessly abrasive attitude of others will be their UPS career's undoing.

Marne Vet

There is one caveat in working just hard enough....

We talk as if the union environment is just cold hard facts and articles....but it is people who oversee us, with emotions, likes, and what not. Just as we drivers go a little extra for customers and/or management who have done so for us, management does not forget, and even the impression you leave on your coworkers could have them speaking up for you at a needed time to the right person. I've been there and had that personally happen for me....

It is why I cringe when people say,"I'll only do enough, give em nothing more", or "I'll file a grievance if my center manager so much as says 'Hello' to me off the clock!" Goodwill can be like money in the bank. And besides, them giving me extra work is sort of like a compliment, and they'll like - or at least more willingly tolerate having you around.

Previously created goodwill may come in handy for some of the Maspeth 250, while the needlessly abrasive attitude of others will be their UPS career's undoing.

Lucky we work in the Center we do eh? Wish Fish was back permanently.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Lucky we work in the Center we do eh? Wish Fish was back permanently.

I appreciate the visit. And you know our center has it's troubles, but I find it hard to relate to what some go through here with their management teams; do we work in a "Bubble of Goodness"?

(Yes, I am who you think I am, but my name's not "Allen". I've been trying to figure out who YOU are for some time; I knew you were from MF when you mentioned Fish' impending relocation, and how messed up it was. You either wear a big button on your lapel every day for the USMC, or I was just talking to you about being a feeder driver and why you chose not to. Something about the wife and her schedule...If so, never knew you were in the Marines!

Oh, I didn't PM ya because for the life of me I couldn't figure out how, exactly...and then I went to "Start a New Conversation" yesterday. On the old BC there was a "PM" button...Still getting a feel for the new diggs.)