Is Ground really getting E2 and XS?

jack584

First off I want to say that I am not an employee of FedEx, I am a shipper.

I saw a few posts about Ground getting E2 and XS. Is this really going to happen? I ship about 20 E2 packages a day, and I do not want those lousy contractor Ground drivers delivering my packages. I want them to be delivered by the much better Express drivers.

I sell expensive items, each of my packages is worth about 1k, which is why all my packages go E2 unless someone selects overnight shipping. I do not want my packages mixed with the Ground ones either, which is the reason I started using FedEx instead of UPS about 5 years ago.

If E2 and XS are really given to Ground, it is very likely that FedEx would loose my 15k/year account to UPS, despite their packages are mixed with Ground, their drivers are still better then the FedEx Ground drivers.

Would my E2 packages still have the "E" on them or would they start to have the "G" like Ground packages have? E2 would still have to travel by air, so I'm assuming it would only be switched to Ground drivers, correct?

And when is this supposed to happen? Sorry for all the questions and if I sound like a newbie, I have never posted here bus occasionally read a few posts, and I'm sorry to hear all the things you guys are going through now. I never thought it was going to be like this.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I saw a few posts about Ground getting E2 and XS. Is this really going to happen? I ship about 20 E2 packages a day, and I do not want those lousy contractor Ground drivers delivering my packages. I want them to be delivered by the much better Express drivers.

I sell expensive items, each of my packages is worth about 1k, which is why all my packages go E2 unless someone selects overnight shipping. I do not want my packages mixed with the Ground ones either, which is the reason I started using FedEx instead of UPS about 5 years ago.

If E2 and XS are really given to Ground, it is very likely that FedEx would loose my 15k/year account to UPS, despite their packages are mixed with Ground, their drivers are still better then the FedEx Ground drivers.

Would my E2 packages still have the "E" on them or would they start to have the "G" like Ground packages have? E2 would still have to travel by air, so I'm assuming it would only be switched to Ground drivers, correct?

And when is this supposed to happen? Sorry for all the questions and if I sound like a newbie, I have never posted here bus occasionally read a few posts, and I'm sorry to hear all the things you guys are going through now. I never thought it was going to be like this.

I hope some of the "geniuses" in Memphis read this. I think this customer's views echo those of others. Unfortunately, I'm afraid the decision has already been made. Profit trumps Service.

Gee thanx ......................
stay with Fedex.............I dont think I could take a customer (who thinks so highly of me and or my company) to drop kick your boxes around

vantexan

I think the company realizes there are customers like you that would switch to UPS and they have no desire to lose you. What most likely will happen IMO, keeping in mind that everything you read here is speculation and opinion, is Express will still offer those services to those who want them. I believe Ground's infrastructure has grown to the point that many major shippers will switch to Ground for the cost savings, with FedEx's assurance that Ground can deliver on time. And FedEx is now actively promoting Ground to shippers as the profit per pkg is higher than what FedEx makes per Express pkg. As you are a substantial shipper you might want to contact FedEx Sales to get the real story.

jack584

Gee thanx ......................
stay with Fedex.............I dont think I could take a customer (who thinks so highly of me and or my company) to drop kick your boxes around

If your a Ground driver, and to anybody that is one, I am sorry for the things I said about you, I'm sire there are some really good Ground drivers out there, but the quality of service in general is not there.

I think the company realizes there are customers like you that would switch to UPS and they have no desire to lose you. What most likely will happen IMO, keeping in mind that everything you read here is speculation and opinion, is Express will still offer those services to those who want them. I believe Ground's infrastructure has grown to the point that many major shippers will switch to Ground for the cost savings, with FedEx's assurance that Ground can deliver on time. And FedEx is now actively promoting Ground to shippers as the profit per pkg is higher than what FedEx makes per Express pkg. As you are a substantial shipper you might want to contact FedEx Sales to get the real story.

Good idea, I might give my local rep a call about this.

Best case and cost scenario, ship FedEx Express 2day AM.

If this really happens I think I will do that instead of switch to UPS, because I doubt Ground would be able to take over the time commitments. And even right now, AM only costs me $0.75-$1.00, which would be worth it to have my packages delivered by Express drivers.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Well jack584, first of all welcome aboard.

Secondly, i don't blame you for being cautious. As an express driver I hear an earful about ground screwups almost on a daily basis.

bigbird00

Hey jack 84,Its allready in the works the ground label or bar code is changing to look like express and be interchangeble with express so they can deliver e2 and express saver whenever and wherever they want to change it.I don't think the move will come in any major markets,but the smaller areas where they can control it more to start.Its math 101 ground is neting 20 cents on the dollar and express 5,and ground is cheaper to deliver it.Profit margin,thats Fred fill my pockets Smith.

vantexan

Hey jack 84,Its allready in the works the ground label or bar code is changing to look like express and be interchangeble with express so they can deliver e2 and express saver whenever and wherever they want to change it.I don't think the move will come in any major markets,but the smaller areas where they can control it more to start.Its math 101 ground is neting 20 cents on the dollar and express 5,and ground is cheaper to deliver it.Profit margin,thats Fred fill my pockets Smith.

When a pkg is put into the Ground system from start to finish, it's more profitable than sending it by Express due to Ground's lower operating costs. If however in the future Express couriers pick up pkgs that are ultimately delivered by Ground the savings won't be, in that scenario, from Ground delivering it. The pkgs were charged Express rates, picked up by Express, flown in Express jets. The savings will be in the overall smaller Express workforce working much less overtime. The question is will customers tolerate paying Express rates to have their pkgs delivered by Ground? I think it's unlikely this will happen but we'll just have to wait and see. If Ground starts delivering P2 I don't see how they'll avoid layoffs. Laying off people due to a bad economy is one thing. Laying them off to shift work over to a cheaper workforce to enhance profits is quite another. My best guess for what it's worth is we'll see more and more shippers use Ground over time and as people retire, or leave due to lack of hours, the Express workforce will shrink. I doubt the company wants layoffs because it may give shippers the impression something's wrong with FedEx. So, IMO, less overall Express freight due to shippers switching to Ground, and a slow but sure reduction in the Express workforce.

TUT

To OP, I have no reason to believe the rumor at this time. I think it will have plenty of lead up time if it ever happens. I know the CEO of the company always and recently again stated he is committed to offering all kinds of services and letting the customer pick the one's they want. This place is a little paranoid about losing their jobs to Fedex Ground, so they dream up of any way that Ground will take all their packages. All predictions they have had on this subject have been incorrect, like the Televangelist who predicts the end of the world and when that date comes and goes, they pick another date right around the corner. FEAR!

I'm a shipper to and Sales knows nothing about this, they are told to press Express sales because the company needs it. I'll have plenty of time to adjust to some alternative if it ever happened.

Goldilocks

First of all, let me thank you for being a loyal customer to Fedex Express. I am a courier and have been so for going on 29 years. Many of us old timers have seen many changes since we have been with Fedex and can almost predict what will happen next. We have served all of our customers with pride and will continue to do so. But as of Octobers big announcement to our stockholders, things must change because of the economic changes in our country. We do however know that our sales team have been targeting customers to switch over to Ground. This is what you should do, Call your local sale rep and ask questions. I would also encourage you as a loyal customer of Express to write our CEO a personal letter, letting him know how you feel about this change. I do know that reads his own mail, and hopefully if more customers would do this maybe he will listen.

I do hope you understand the frustration we as couriers are feeling about the changes happening to our company. Lots of us on this board have stood by FS side and made Fedex Express what it is today, only to get dumped on with extremely high expectations and no raises. We no longer can ask you about your children or what you did this weekend, heck you probably wont even know our names. Our expectations from Fedex is about one minute a stop. This is what we are dealing with, busting our butts, in the elements, having to drive safe but yet meet our goals so that others can profit from our sweat and tears. We will continue to give you the BEST SERVICE because you are a loyal customer, and that just what we the Couriers of Express do. Thank you for being Loyal and good luck to you....

vantexan

First of all, let me thank you for being a loyal customer to Fedex Express. I am a courier and have been so for going on 29 years. Many of us old timers have seen many changes since we have been with Fedex and can almost predict what will happen next. We have served all of our customers with pride and will continue to do so. But as of Octobers big announcement to our stockholders, things must change because of the economic changes in our country. We do however know that our sales team have been targeting customers to switch over to Ground. This is what you should do, Call your local sale rep and ask questions. I would also encourage you as a loyal customer of Express to write our CEO a personal letter, letting him know how you feel about this change. I do know that reads his own mail, and hopefully if more customers would do this maybe he will listen.

I do hope you understand the frustration we as couriers are feeling about the changes happening to our company. Lots of us on this board have stood by FS side and made Fedex Express what it is today, only to get dumped on with extremely high expectations and no raises. We no longer can ask you about your children or what you did this weekend, heck you probably wont even know our names. Our expectations from Fedex is about one minute a stop. This is what we are dealing with, busting our butts, in the elements, having to drive safe but yet meet our goals so that others can profit from our sweat and tears. We will continue to give you the BEST SERVICE because you are a loyal customer, and that just what we the Couriers of Express do. Thank you for being Loyal and good luck to you....

And those of us who aren't topped out and never will be will probably act like ambivalent drones. They don't care about us so why should we care? Oh sure, in the first few years we hustle and believe in our future. Over time we realize that more and more is expected with very little given back. So the job is now just a series of listless days, complying with the minimum. Should we leave if we don't like it? Sure, show us in this economy where we can go. It's amazing to me that FedEx thinks that one group should work for alot less than another group and be just as motivated to work hard and be highly productive. And it's not just the lower pay. When a raise is given and both groups get 3%, the topped out 3% is more and they pull further away. Those 2 little bonuses each year are based on how much earned so topped out people get bigger bonuses. How much is put in our Portable Pension Plan is based on how much grossed so topped out people get more towards retirement. If it was a matter of working 10 years and then getting to enjoy better topped out pay, fine. But we'll always be doing worse until the day comes that there are very few topped out people left and we're all strung along a long line of low pay and little incentive to give the kind of service that past employees were proud to give.

hypo hanna

We will continue to give you the BEST SERVICE because you are a loyal customer, and that just what we the Couriers of Express do. Thank you for being Loyal and good luck to you....

Sorry but Goldi does not speak for me in this matter. I will give you the customer mediocre service. I will give the minimum effort on your behalf. Just enough to keep the job until i can hopefully find something else. Just like FedEx gives its front line employees the minimum compensation they can get away with. I was not always like this. I was once one of the hardest working concientious drivers in this district. No more. I've had one too many slaps in the face from FedEx mgmt. The harder we worked, the more they abused us. I'm sorry that the loyal customers will suffer but there is no way I can go above and beyond only to line the pockets of Fred and his Wall Street buddies while my own family has to do without.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sorry but Goldi does not speak for me in this matter. I will give you the customer mediocre service. I will give the minimum effort on your behalf. Just enough to keep the job until i can hopefully find something else. Just like FedEx gives its front line employees the minimum compensation they can get away with. I was not always like this. I was once one of the hardest working concientious drivers in this district. No more. I've had one too many slaps in the face from FedEx mgmt. The harder we worked, the more they abused us. I'm sorry that the loyal customers will suffer but there is no way I can go above and beyond only to line the pockets of Fred and his Wall Street buddies while my own family has to do without.

I will also provide you the bare minimum acceptable level of service. A few years ago, I would have never dreamed of saying this, but things have changed significantly, and not in a good way for employees.

If your package is going to a residence, I will wait at the door for 30 seconds, and if nobody answers, I won't try to indirect it. If it can be released, I just leave it at the door and have no interaction with the customer at all. If it's an ISR/ASR/DSR, they will need to pick it up at the station if they want it the correct day, because I'm not going back.

At a business, I won't go to any extra effort if the package has the wrong suite number, floor number, or if they won't take it at the first place I try. "No, that needs to go to Shipping/Receiving" or the converse "They need that at the front office". I just leave and code the package as refused. If I have to go back later for a pickup, maybe I'll deliver it...maybe not.

On pickups, I no longer assist customers. If they have a problem with an International Airwaybill or DG, I just code it as "not ready" and leave, telling them to call the 800 number and to ask for assistance. Even if it's an easily correctible problem, I simply do not care any more. I won't wait at a dropbox, and I don't help anyone out. I've been around long enough to know how to stretch my day if I have a light pickup schedule, which is rare.

If my truck is double-parked or otherwise illegally parked, I tell the cop or meter maid to tow it if they threaten to do so. I'm expected to park illegally, so they can figure out how to retrieve their truck if it gets towed away. If there is a problem with the vehicle, I park it, because even if it's just running poorly that day, any accident or damage to the vehicle will be blamed on me, so I call my manager and ask for another vehicle. If my PowerPad locks up, I don't hustle back to the station. I sit and ask that a replacement be brought out to me. If I do have to return to the station, I take my time, my full break, and let them deal with the pickups or deliveries I can't get to.

I could care less.

Goldilocks

I will also provide you the bare minimum acceptable level of service. A few years ago, I would have never dreamed of saying this, but things have changed significantly, and not in a good way for employees.

If your package is going to a residence, I will wait at the door for 30 seconds, and if nobody answers, I won't try to indirect it. If it can be released, I just leave it at the door and have no interaction with the customer at all. If it's an ISR/ASR/DSR, they will need to pick it up at the station if they want it the correct day, because I'm not going back.

At a business, I won't go to any extra effort if the package has the wrong suite number, floor number, or if they won't take it at the first place I try. "No, that needs to go to Shipping/Receiving" or the converse "They need that at the front office". I just leave and code the package as refused. If I have to go back later for a pickup, maybe I'll deliver it...maybe not.

On pickups, I no longer assist customers. If they have a problem with an International Airwaybill or DG, I just code it as "not ready" and leave, telling them to call the 800 number and to ask for assistance. Even if it's an easily correctible problem, I simply do not care any more. I won't wait at a dropbox, and I don't help anyone out. I've been around long enough to know how to stretch my day if I have a light pickup schedule, which is rare.

If my truck is double-parked or otherwise illegally parked, I tell the cop or meter maid to tow it if they threaten to do so. I'm expected to park illegally, so they can figure out how to retrieve their truck if it gets towed away. If there is a problem with the vehicle, I park it, because even if it's just running poorly that day, any accident or damage to the vehicle will be blamed on me, so I call my manager and ask for another vehicle. If my PowerPad locks up, I don't hustle back to the station. I sit and ask that a replacement be brought out to me. If I do have to return to the station, I take my time, my full break, and let them deal with the pickups or deliveries I can't get to.

I could care less.

I agree with you on all of this. Its pretty crappy how managers and above get payouts on our hard work while we get maybe 100 bucks a year. Wonder how much they recieved from their last payout for peak?..Its crazy, I have known lots of good managers leave Fedex because of what they wanted them to do to the couriers. But, this nice customer comes on this board for some advise. He has been a loyal customer, you know, the kind that give us nice gifts during christmas, like money, food and a nice bottle of fine spirit. You know dang well you help these customers out, people that you have known for a long time. Sure most of them know what is going on at Fedex but that does not stop you from helping the few. I remember you telling us of a customer that hides the bottle of spirit in the bushes for you during christmas. These are good people that should not get caught up in this nasty web Fedex has created. I'm not being mean at all and like you, I will only go so far too, its all so frustrating....

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I agree with you on all of this. Its pretty crappy how managers and above get payouts on our hard work while we get maybe 100 bucks a year. Wonder how much they recieved from their last payout for peak?..Its crazy, I have known lots of good managers leave Fedex because of what they wanted them to do to the couriers. But, this nice customer comes on this board for some advise. He has been a loyal customer, you know, the kind that give us nice gifts during christmas, like money, food and a nice bottle of fine spirit. You know dang well you help these customers out, people that you have known for a long time. Sure most of them know what is going on at Fedex but that does not stop you from helping the few. I remember you telling us of a customer that hides the bottle of spirit in the bushes for you during christmas. These are good people that should not get caught up in this nasty web Fedex has created. I'm not being mean at all and like you, I will only go so far too, its all so frustrating....

I do make an exception for a few regulars that treat me right.