Is hubby hurting his chances of going driver?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Ups wifey: first let me congratulate you on your choice of avatar. Wise choice. Secondly, I found your first post to be well written. Let's play it safe and assume that his being late can be an impediment to becoming a driver (which I think is your suspicion and the postings here will be shown to your husband to back them up.) Is there anything that can be done to get him to work on time? Can he cut back on one hour a day at his other job, to be on time at ups? Is there a way for him to be more prepared to get things done quicker so he can get more sleep? You know your situation better than anyone so think of things to get him to work on time. My one suggestion: You be the alarm clock and yell and scream (albeit with a loving smile on your face) to wake him up and give him an incentive to be happy to get out of house and be at ups. He'll thank you in the long run.
As for the past haunting him: fair enough but he can't go back in Peter Potamus's wayback machine (if you get the reference great, but I just throw it in there to entertain covemaster and others) but his showing up on time now and the future can go along way to burying that past. Good luck.

Stand back as I do my HHHippo HHHurricane, HHHoller!!!, tha was a good reference, so-so.

I was curious how hard it is to make the transition from part time preloader to full time driver.

I know there is a 30 day probationary period, but do you need to keep your second job when you are starting out as a driver?
Is it like being a part time driver because your not guaranteed 40 hours and never know when you will be called in as a cover driver? If UPS expects you to come in everyday and be on call in case someone doesn't come into work that day, how can you have a second job not knowing if you will be working at UPS that day or not?

I know it's a lot of questions, and I appreciate any answers provided.

Your second job has to be really flexible. UPS will use and abuse you, the dump you. MHO, go to driving school and wait for a driving position to open. Keep your other job to make ends meet, because you never know when it's gonna happen. Just keep you name on the bid list. Oh, and another thing, STOP LETTING YOUR DRIVERS LOAD YOUR TRUCKS FOR YOU!!!

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
Haha never STUG! They're the union guys anyway they should know the rules and follow them. I'm just the little non-union pre-loader. If I ever go union then I'll play by the rules. :wink2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Haha never STUG! They're the union guys anyway they should know the rules and follow them. I'm just the little non-union pre-loader. If I ever go union then I'll play by the rules. :wink2:

Oh, I see, you don't wanna step on any toes. I hear that, Kraetos. Tell you what, when you're layed off and miss that little bit of extra money you're making, along with the benefits. You can thank those drivers, those wonderful, early, fix my load up, have to just get in there, I can do it better than this dumb preloader, union hating, drivers.

Ms.PacMan

Does anyone take notice that "the wife" hasn't responded to any of this? Can't remember who stated it about it "taking that toll on the body" but I can't agree more.

Thanks so much!!:happy-very:... IMO appears to be a woman that relies totally on her man to bring it AWWLLL home and if he can't..."WELL THEN...IF YOU CAN'T MAKE ENOUGH AT YOUR FULL TIME JOB TO SUPPORT ME AND MY NEEDS I SUGGEST YOU GET ANOTHER JOB!!":happy-very:

That's what I was thinking. Wifey - get yourself a job or a better job or give hubby a break. Cripes, 9 to 5 and 12 - 3am.

Shame on you Wifey for not caring about his well-being.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
I was curious how hard it is to make the transition from part time preloader to full time driver.

I know there is a 30 day probationary period, but do you need to keep your second job when you are starting out as a driver?
Is it like being a part time driver because your not guaranteed 40 hours and never know when you will be called in as a cover driver? If UPS expects you to come in everyday and be on call in case someone doesn't come into work that day, how can you have a second job not knowing if you will be working at UPS that day or not?

I know it's a lot of questions, and I appreciate any answers provided.
You are to sever all ties with the outside world, Sit by your phone and be ready, for at a moments notice you may be called to duty!JK
A new driver in my building usually reports to work every day for 30 days. Should be on the same route every day, then if he makes it he is a cover driver. You cover book offs, personal days off, and the like. Some guys work every day some get a few days off..depends on the volume.

InTheRed

Huh???? uhh.... Do you work for UPS?

When driver job came available here PTers just put their name on the bid list. Highest seniority at the end of the week was sent to driver class.

All that mumbo jumbo you typed above is nothing I went through when I became a driver.

I have been an employee for over 10 years.

Perhaps different districts practice differently. This can also be a result of how local unions negotiate.

To be honest, if an employee cannot be at work at the set start time in a hub, he or she should request a later start time which can be agreed upon. Not always granted, but requesting a later start time is better than getting banged with a LATE everyday on your pittsburgh.

jrf4life

When and if he becomes a driver, you will not have a "normal life" . He will leave early and come home late for years. Can you deal with being financially stable but having a weekend husband.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Did you say somthin'?

Reminds me of my father and mother.
He was almost deaf in his later years but could hear pretty well with his hearing aid. He would cut it down when he got tired of listening to my mom. She would be talking to him and he would say, "Huh". She would scream back, "Huh, hell. I'm talking to you".
Use to get a laugh when this would happen when I was around. He would turn his hearing aid up if he knew I was there. LOL

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
What's convenient about working a full time job then getting up at in the middle of the night to unload trailers for 3 or 4 hours every night?

At his convenience, meaning he'll come in when he's good and ready. This is not about what the job entails, it's about his pattern of tardiness and its consequences.