Is IE Department incompetent or just plain lazy?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Part of my area was re-looped a couple of years ago with the implementation of PAS/EDD. In the re-loop, they neglected to move one street in the middle of a very rural subdivision. This street only has one residence currently built on it. This subdivision is now on a drivers route adjacent to mine.

About a dozen times in the last couple years I have spoken with my management team to get this street moved to the correct unit. My on car says it's out of his hands & can only be corrected by IE. He says he has forwarded the move information to IE and doesn't know why it hasn't been implemented.

Suffice to say the lady of the house must have recently got her hands on an LTD Commodities catalog. Was there for a delivery 4 days this past week. This stop is 4.8 miles round trip off my area! Figure I burned 2 gallons of their gas just this week to make service on these parcels. Spoke with the driver on the adjacent route and he says he is in that same subdivision on a daily basis. Done beating my head against the wall & accepted that this will be my stop for all eternity!

Guess what irritates me the most is last year I received a warning letter for driving 1.1 miles off my area to take a lunch break. Is it alright to burn gas on their incompetence but not for me to find a warm place for lunch?

JonFrum

On my line I have five of those wonderful new diesels with the pretty "Certified Clean Idle" decal on the driver's side of the hood. However, once a week each car's Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) fills up and has to be "manually regenerated," otherwise the vehicle will soon stop working. So the car must be unloaded, driven outside, and left running for about half an hour. Pushing the Magic Dashboard Button (MDB) puts the vehicle in high-idle "re-gen mode" and burns out the polution that has collected in the exhaust filter's chamber. This idling is all done in the name of a clean environment.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
On my line I have five of those wonderful new diesels with the pretty "Certified Clean Idle" decal on the driver's side of the hood. However, once a week each car's Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) fills up and has to be "manually regenerated," otherwise the vehicle will soon stop working. So the car must be unloaded, driven outside, and left running for about half an hour. Pushing the Magic Dashboard Button (MDB) puts the vehicle in high-idle "re-gen mode" and burns out the polution that has collected in the exhaust filter's chamber. This idling is all done in the name of a clean environment.

Interesting. Leave it running, unattended, keys in the ignition? Sounds like a bad plan unless they're trying to give to roll-away and the left the keys in the ignition theft victims an easy out.

JonFrum

Interesting. Leave it running, unattended, keys in the ignition? Sounds like a bad plan unless they're trying to give to roll-away and the left the keys in the ignition theft victims an easy out.
Yeah, we all thought the same as you back when this started many moons ago. But what else can we do? They're not going to pay someone to sit in a car for half an hour every night. Besides, it smells bad while the polution is cooking off.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Welcome to the club in my building we spend all day jumping over each other, heck I have driven off route 2 to 3 miles to do 3 or 4 stops only to find myself parked next to another driver, does it make any sense no, but my numbers look fine so no one up above will ever care they we are wasting money.

brownedout

Welcome to the club in my building we spend all day jumping over each other, heck I have driven off route 2 to 3 miles to do 3 or 4 stops only to find myself parked next to another driver, does it make any sense no, but my numbers look fine so no one up above will ever care they we are wasting money.

Leap frog,we like to call it.

beentheredonethat

Most all centers have a dispatch supv (PDS supv). This person can move a road to another area. It's easy to blame IE and most people so hate IE that they believe anything someone says so long as they bash IE. It's possible the PDS supv is overwhelmed, or wasn't trained to do this.

menotyou

bella amicizia
One fine sunny day, in a lovely little village with four streets in it, about half an hour from the center, we had four different drivers visit each of its beautiful streets. They didn't have time for coffee.*

*Just one example of our dispatch. These examples occur daily. No matter what is said.
:crazy2:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
While I am no fan of the IE department, the situation described in the OP is one that the center PDS should be able to resolve with a few keystrokes.

My experience has been that the PDS's are simply overwhelmed. It would take them about 29 hours a day to fullfill all of the responsibilities that have been placed upon them. There are thousands of issues with PAS/EDD and area trace in my building that will never be resolved for the simple reason that the management people responsible for fixing them will never have the time to sit down and resolve them.

When I show up for work each morning, there are usually about 15 frustrated drivers lined up and waiting for their turn to chew off a piece of the PDS's ass. I have learned to detach myself from any concern over whether or not my route is dispatched properly, I just punch in, shut my brain off, and do what I have been told to do. And at 7:15 at night when I encounter another driver 10 miles down a rural, dead-end road that we have both been dispatched onto, I just smile and wave and accept the fact that the company will do what it will do. That is logistics.

tourists24

While I am no fan of the IE department, the situation described in the OP is one that the center PDS should be able to resolve with a few keystrokes.

My experience has been that the PDS's are simply overwhelmed. It would take them about 29 hours a day to fullfill all of the responsibilities that have been placed upon them. There are thousands of issues with PAS/EDD and area trace in my building that will never be resolved for the simple reason that the management people responsible for fixing them will never have the time to sit down and resolve them.

We have the same issues here in my center, except that our on cars should have "plenty" of time to take care of these issues. However they do not. They are either wrapped up running reports, following drivers on computer monitors, or following drivers on area trying to catch them not grabbing hand rails or not putting their seat belts on before the tires start to roll. We have 4 on car sups and could easily do away with 2 of these jobs. That is unless they wanted to actually take care of the real problems we have

Yeah, we all thought the same as you back when this started many moons ago. But what else can we do? They're not going to pay someone to sit in a car for half an hour every night. Besides, it smells bad while the polution is cooking off.
Now that's LOGISTICS.

packageguy

I'm in the club, last week 3 drivers one street twice. finally we saw each other again and we swithed work, call building to notify what we were doing, they were not happy with a P A L guy.

JonFrum

Before you drivers experience the on-road confusion of Dispatch's Loopy Logistics, those of us in the Mighty, Mighty Carwash undergo our own Logistical Nightmare as we try to set the car lineups using the wacky Plans we are given.

packageguy

Jonfrum that must be fun, following morning 10 cubes are now
5 cubes 8 cubes are 13 cubes, be honest how many times a night
do you shake your head.

packageguy

now that I sit here, I thinking ups going after there front line which
is us drivers, maybe they should consider cleaning there IE department,
that would be cost efficent.

If you have a looping or dispatch issue talk to your center team who should let your center PDS know. It is easy to fix a small issue like that and will improve the PDS's numbers so they won't get crapped on as much from above so they should be happy to make the fix as long as there isn't a different big picture issue that is forcing the weird dispatch.

I will say that if you have a new PDS, the training curve is about 5-6 months before they master all the concepts they have to know, and then to get everything done in the 5.5 hour window for a PT sup is hectic.