Is it a Hub or a Center?

Black_6_Leader

Gandy & others;
I did make a one oversight/error in my explanation. when I said "A hub is generally a package sort operation which handles packages which are not picked up or delivered by SLICs resident in that building." More correctly, I should have said "a hub is generally a package sort operation which handles packages for other SLICS in addition to packages picked up or delivered by SLICs resident in that building".

There is lots of legacy floating around to just about nullify any so called rule. Don't get too lost in the local details.

And yes ~ the best donuts are filled in the center. Make mine a Berliner, please !

jennie

I don't think we are:rolleyes2: a Hub or a Center, I actually asked today, hahaha. Again, I work preload, and I scan in Decap they load trucks down on the boxline and its a very BUSY preload. So I am still confused about the Hub or Center thing??

UPSNewbie

I don't think we are:rolleyes2: a Hub or a Center, I actually asked today, hahaha. Again, I work preload, and I scan in Decap they load trucks down on the boxline and its a very BUSY preload. So I am still confused about the Hub or Center thing??

Do you know if your inbound volume goes anywhere else besides a PC? If so, that would usually be considered a hub. If not, it's a center.

360waves

Us in Greensboro, NC often refer to our building as a Hub...We have a twilight, midnight, sunrise, and noonday sort..Now im not so sure which is which..

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Man, I thought this would be an easy question. In our feeder book they have hubs and centers on different pages but nobody ever explained the difference. The only difference I can see is the centers only have inbound doors and the hubs have inbound and outbound.

UPSNewbie

Man, I thought this would be an easy question. In our feeder book they have hubs and centers on different pages but nobody ever explained the difference. The only difference I can see is the centers only have inbound doors and the hubs have inbound and outbound.

How does pickup volume leave the center then? :funny:

old levi's

blank space
As long as the check continues to show up every Thursday morning I really don't give a rat's a** whether I work at a hub, center, spoke, or rim.

Actually none of the above are correct because I'm a
Sat-uh-light (see upstate grimace).

I'm just saying...........................

UPS Lifer

A preload is not a "hub". The operation (preload) you work in is tied to a package division, even if you are in a preload that is responsible for loading more than one center. Preloads are assigned to Package Divisions.

Hubs and Feeder(s) are tied to the "Transportation" side of the business.

All hubs deal with pick-up volume or volume that is being sorted and distributed on to the delivery segment.

Reload operations coming from satellite centers and pick up volume sorted at package centers that do not make regional splits (multi inter-district) are
considered local sorts and are tied to the package division.

Reload operations are pick-up packages that are not sorted but are shuttled (possibly by feeder depending on the volume to the home center. The volume either goes to a local sort or hub for sorting throughout the transportation system. Depending on the district, feeder may take responsibility for "shuttles". A package driver may perform the shuttle but the hours are assigned to the Feeder department.