Is it possible for me to get rehired?

Benighted

Hello all, I quit UPS around 5 and a half years ago without much notice because I was working another full time job and they were having me do a lot of overtime. I have recently moved from Illinois to North Carolina and am wondering if there is any chance of getting rehired at UPS.

browndingo

As a matter of policy, UPS doesn't usually rehire former employees. It requires special approval. It's a little different for seasonal employees - at the end of a temporary hire each person is either recommended to be rehired (for another temporary position) or not. A lot of seasonal employees come back year after year.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
As a matter of policy, UPS doesn't usually rehire former employees. It requires special approval. It's a little different for seasonal employees - at the end of a temporary hire each person is either recommended to be rehired (for another temporary position) or not. A lot of seasonal employees come back year after year.

I disagree. I've seen a ton of re-hires over the last few years, as retention has been a serious issue in the hubs. Generally, as long as the person didn't quit within the "one year commitment" window and/or wasn't fired for dishonesty (I've personally seen re-hires fired for attendance get fired for attendance a second time) they can be re-hired.

At the end of the day, however, it depends on how you were flagged in the system. The HR and/or Training Manager can flag you as a "do no re-hire" and you'll be denied unless it gets changed. It's worth a shot.

barnyard

KTM rider
In the time it took you to register, get the email and verify, you could have gone online, applied and gotten a real answer.

upschuck

Only times I've heard that can't be rehired are contract related discharge, or didn't work for over a month the first time.

browndingo

I disagree. I've seen a ton of re-hires over the last few years, as retention has been a serious issue in the hubs. Generally, as long as the person didn't quit within the "one year commitment" window and/or wasn't fired for dishonesty (I've personally seen re-hires fired for attendance get fired for attendance a second time) they can be re-hired.

At the end of the day, however, it depends on how you were flagged in the system. The HR and/or Training Manager can flag you as a "do no re-hire" and you'll be denied unless it gets changed. It's worth a shot.

From the UPS Policy book (you can find it at upsers.com):

We Carefully Consider Rehiring Former Employees.
Former employees who left the company on good terms and contributed to the success of their workgroups are welcome to reapply. These former employees will be considered along with other applicants. The decision to rehire a former employee should only be made with appropriate approvals.

---
That's the policy, of course. In practice you can get rehired after leaving a permanent position if, as you say, you weren't flagged as a "no rehire" when you left.