Is it possible to sell back UPS benefits for a lump sum???

I am trying to get a job with the FDNY EMS. I have thought and searched for a while as to what I could do as a "part time" job for extra cash that doesn't require 40 hours a week AND that fits the future schedule, and I think UPS package handler may be it!

I have 3 questions...

1.) What is the starting pay of UPS and what is the increase per year???

2.) What are promotional opportunities like???

3.) Can you sell back your UPS benefits if you have another job with benefits and don't need them both???

Thanks..

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1448482845.903273.jpg

AllOnTheHorses

If you are looking for an early AM or late night part time job.. UPS might be a good fit. (You could even go on to drive and make a lot of money.. but drivers get paid well because they cannot plan anything in the evenings.. at least until they have their own route; which can take years).
The hours fluctuate with the amount of packages going through your building. If you are a part-timer.. loading or unloading etc.. Thanksgiving to mid-January you may very easily be going in at 1 or 2 AM (earlier if weather has created a backup of packages.. 11pm a few times for me) and getting out close to 9am.
Early AM unload gets out the earliest and starts a bit earlier as well. The hours are really something to consider.. I know people with second jobs and did preload.. it is hard to do that for long.
Promotion within UPS (for the most part) means going into management which is not as good (I am told) financially, nor time-wise, if you make it a career.

BTW you can sell back accrued vacation.. but you will have put in years to get to where it is worth it.

edit- sorry to sound so negative... it's a tough job.. they pay well for it. The benefits as far as insurance are tough to beat.. and that is for part time work. Finding that anywhere else is NOT easy.

Johney

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't fireman/emt work 24 hour shifts? That won't fly at UPS. I assume you're talking having both jobs at the same time?

FDNY EMS is 8 hour shifts...5 days a week, with a rotating 3rd day off every other week.

Im just exploring options. I thought of military reserves for an extra check, but id prefer to not be in the military.

Btw, 10.10 an hour is better than i thought. And at .70 cent raise every year after 5 years youd be around $16 an hour working part time???

Not too bad for some extra cash and 3-4 hour shifts.