Is it possible to sell back UPS benefits for a lump sum???

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
In the beginning as a part timer you don't make much but you put in some time and effort and things start to look up. Decent wage, benefits and a pension. You can also work part time air driving for extra hours. Makes for a well paid part time gig.

PT Car Washer

In the beginning as a part timer you don't make much but you put in some time and effort and things start to look up. Decent wage, benefits and a pension. You can also work part time air driving for extra hours. Makes for a well paid part time gig.
$60K working PT is pretty good. Only problem is you are not guaranteed that much pay.

rod

Retired 22 years
Some high seniority PT are making $30+/hr. with 7 weeks paid vacation and a pension when they finally retire.

Don't count on 30+ bucks an hour if you are just starting now. That pay scale went out years ago and only the real old timers are eligible for it.

browner89

FDNY EMS is 8 hour shifts...5 days a week, with a rotating 3rd day off every other week.

Im just exploring options. I thought of military reserves for an extra check, but id prefer to not be in the military.

Btw, 10.10 an hour is better than i thought. And at .70 cent raise every year after 5 years youd be around $16 an hour working part time???

Not too bad for some extra cash and 3-4 hour shifts.

They are no longer .70c raises per year, for those hired after Aug 1, 2013, you will make this:

Start $ 11.00 / $ 10.00
Seniority plus one (1) year $ 11.50 / $ 10.50
Seniority plus two (2) year $ 12.00 / $ 11.00
Seniority plus three (3) year $13.00 / $ 12.00
Seniority plus four (4) year $13.50 / $12.50

The first rate is skilled, second rate is unskilled. The only incorrect number is that for first year unskilled it is 10.10 due to a minimum wage increase for certain job classifications that we part timers fall under.

The numbers should again change, likely increasing (hopefully) when a new contract is drawn up in 2018. The pre-2014 deal gave higher wage progressions (.35 twice a year x3, then .40 twice, then .50 twice) though new PTers have a higher minimum salary, helping them get a quicker start.

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I am trying to get a job with the FDNY EMS. I have thought and searched for a while as to what I could do as a "part time" job for extra cash that doesn't require 40 hours a week AND that fits the future schedule, and I think UPS package handler may be it!

I have 3 questions...

1.) What is the starting pay of UPS and what is the increase per year???

2.) What are promotional opportunities like???

3.) Can you sell back your UPS benefits if you have another job with benefits and don't need them both???

Thanks..
Not so much and very little, good if you like working a lot and not making much for it, and nope. Don't worry, I think under the next contract some part time will lose benefits. Why cover someone under 26 if they are covered under another plan?

PT Car Washer

Not so much and very little, good if you like working a lot and not making much for it, and nope. Don't worry, I think under the next contract some part time will lose benefits. Why cover someone under 26 if they are covered under another plan?
Helps to keep the rates lower for injury prone older workers.