Is it REALLY worth it?

McGee

Question for you all.... there is a posting on the ups website that is for a package car driver....temporary seasonal, BUT it is 48 miles away.... lets say for the sake of argument that I actually GET the job, once i calculate the cost of wear and tear, and gas on my vehicle plus drive time??? I could really use this to maybe get in the door, but damn, i already spend way too much time away from the family..

thoughts?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Question for you all.... there is a posting on the ups website that is for a package car driver....temporary seasonal, BUT it is 48 miles away.... lets say for the sake of argument that I actually GET the job, once i calculate the cost of wear and tear, and gas on my vehicle plus drive time??? I could really use this to maybe get in the door, but damn, i already spend way too much time away from the family..

thoughts?

You have already answered the question by what you wrote.

Continue your job search and best of luck to you.

NHDRVR

thoughts?

How bad do you want a job?

There you go...

thoughts?
If you are out of a job now, it's better than a sharp stick in the eye. If you would have to quit an existing job that appears to be fairly secure, I wouldn't make the change. If you are looking for a long term job, the temp seasonal is really a long shot.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I travel 50 miles one way to go to work. I use to drive 75 miles one way. One gets used to it.

Also, I was hired as a casual 22 years ago....

I found it to be worth it, though I didn't always feel that way.

P

pickup

Just curious, generally they need casual drivers during peak times. Under what circumstances would they need a casual seasonal driver in april , especially in these economic times when they are laying off drivers?

over9five

Staff member
Just curious, generally they need casual drivers during peak times. Under what circumstances would they need a casual seasonal driver in april , especially in these economic times when they are laying off drivers?

Ahh, that is the question. I hope they will not be hiring vacation covers while they have drivers working in the building...

NHDRVR

great question. I haven't seen a bid posted in quite some time.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
That was 22 years ago, times have changed as has UPS.

True. I personally would not apply for a position as a package car driver. But if one looks at that position as a stepping stone to other opportunities within UPS, maybe it is not so bad.

Who am I kidding, it's bad :knockedout:.

P

pickup

If you are out of a job now, it's better than a sharp stick in the eye. If you would have to quit an existing job that appears to be fairly secure, I wouldn't make the change. If you are looking for a long term job, the temp seasonal is really a long shot.

If you have nothing else biting on your fishing line hook and you don't have a job . You have nothing to lose by doing this. If things don't work out , you can always leave and still you would have had a memorable experience if nothing else.

McGee

I am not unemployed ( thank goodness) , just looking for that extra ( since I work for a school district ) I have the summer off... and there's no way i would ever quit what i am doing now, great people, etc...

McGee

That's what I am trying to figure out, and given all that goes on in the airline industry, I am hesitant as hell, so I will just leave it alone...

Thanks everyone!

Oh and by the way, the posting was for Flint, MI ( just in case anyone closer wants to go for it)

Heck, my brother-in-law works for Fredex and they are not even hiring... they actually laid off 1,000 ppl! :surprised: and their website has no job listings at all!

P

pickup

That's what I am trying to figure out, and given all that goes on in the airline industry, I am hesitant as hell, so I will just leave it alone...

Thanks everyone!

Oh and by the way, the posting was for Flint, MI ( just in case anyone closer wants to go for it)

Heck, my brother-in-law works for Fredex and they are not even hiring... they actually laid off 1,000 ppl! :surprised: and their website has no job listings at all!

Well, gee, that makes sense now, Flint MI is one of the few areas in the country not affected by this terrible economy . It has a thriving auto industry that is actually loaning money to the government and is continuing to add plants in the michigan area. No wonder ups needs to hire there now. (THIS WAS SARCASM , just in case nobody got it.

SmithBarney

As a summer gig, I'd say go for it.

Yea FedEx isn't hiring, and they laid off 1000 Manager/Salary folks.
Many of which are given the opportunity to take any of the open positions
within the company, (thats why positions aren't currently listed online)

McGee

As a summer gig, I'd say go for it.

Yea FedEx isn't hiring, and they laid off 1000 Manager/Salary folks.
Many of which are given the opportunity to take any of the open positions
within the company, (thats why positions aren't currently listed online)

well thanks, but i will pass...got a prospect somewhere else ( interview next week).... and the good part is, its another teamster job so i can hopefully build on my 11 yr pension..