Is it really worth it?

ChicagosPrimeMinister

What rhmyes with UPS?
Man... Just leave.

You have 4-5-6 more years of this and like everyone said. Ups is going to :censored2:.

45-60k and happy >>> 75+ miserable stressed

I worked 2100 hours my first full year as a cover driver last year

I've been a driver (off the street) for 6 months now. Since January I've been working 15-25 hours a week. I'm on call 5 days a week. I have no vacation, sick, or personal days. My first vacation is scheduled in January of 2016 for a week. I'm financially in a tough spot, $200 a week is not enough. And yes the health insurance is awesome, but for me, its not really free. I am giving up 5 days a week and only working 1-3. When I do work, they pile the work on me. They give me 200+ stops and always say "well you want the work right"? I am 30 years old and last year made $50,000 working construction and other odd jobs.

Is it really worth it? I spoke to a previous employer this past week and they offered me a comfortable position, 4 weeks of paid leave to start, $45k a year and going up, and affordable health care. Its also a low stress job, and 4 day work weeks, four 10 hour days. Its hard for me to say this isn't a bad option, particularly with the way things are right now. What I want to know is if it is really worth it? If you were offered this position before you were in with UPS too deep, would you take it?

They just started bringing seasonals back at my center.
You can stick around and hope they call you for more hours because in the long run you can own a hellcat like me

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
To be fair to Loyal Teamster, when you ship with Ebay, you have two options of who to ship with, FedEx and USPS. You can use UPS, but its not nearly as simple, and 90% of the time it does cost more. UPS needs to work with Ebay to get that account. I think the thing is that UPS is more expensive most of the time with smaller items than FedEx or USPS, that is why it doesn't work well for most Ebay items.

I know I could stick around and maybe someday see 100k a year, but it will also mean working 50-60 hours a week, dealing with supervisors who treat you like kids, not like part of a team. I am sick of being talked down to. I know the sups work hard, but so do I.
50-60 hrs is too much for you? 45k is enough? you could be making 100k a year in just a few years. 140k if you count the benefits. have a budget of 50k and invest the rest in the 401k, IRA , and real estate or something else and have close to million in 10-15 years.

there is no perfect job. but the money and the bennies here make it easier to take than most. a positive attitude makes the difference.

good luck with a 40 hr work week and making it in America from your trailer park . ( only kidding ) good luck with whatever you decide.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I would take the other job. This one to be starting out, is life changing, and not in a good way
10 yrs ago, i would have told you to hang in we all go through it. I could not imagine starting at UPS now and thinking I would last long enough to get a retirement. They eat their own they really do
good point.maybe i should change my previous post. hey kid , flip a coin.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
If I had started recently instead of 28 yrs ago, I'd tell UPS to suck old buck. No way these new runners will last much time at all without blowing out knees or being involved in a fiery crash the way they drive.

Foamer Pyle

Honestly, I don't see any future for this next generation of UPS. Our Union weakens every year. As technology advances we won't need skills to deliver a package, thus eliminating the need for "skilled" union workers. With Amazon taking over the market who knows if UPS will still be around in 10 years.

There's no reason for you to keep suffering. I'd take advantage of this new opportunity for you. No need to stick around for the massive layoffs.

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster

We Love Logistics
Man, you are really trolling the Brown Cafe this week. This job will always be a skilled job, no matter how much technology UPS uses to try and simplify the job, all they do is make the job more difficult. Driving every day and not having an accident is a skill, and what's more, our customers love their UPS drivers, because we go above and beyond when it comes to providing them with reliable service. Amazon can pay their Laser Ship drivers peanuts, and they resemble homeless people. Go online and read the thousands of complaints customers are posting, regarding their farmed out deliver service. You are not a UPS delivery employee, you are an outsider that is very jealous of our pay and benefits package. As long as UPS is able to provide superior service, there will always be customers will to pay for it. That's why you have a choice when you go out to eat. You can go to McDonalds for dinner or OutBack Steak House. I can tell you are a McDonalds man. I can also tell by your lame posts that you are a Liberal.

Have a good night
Piss-Boy!

Loyal Teamster

This job will always be a skilled job, no matter how much technology UPS uses to try and simplify the job,

Hahaha I hope your not serious. The purpose of introducing technology is to ultimately make our job easy enough so that any monkey with a valid license can do it. By doing so UPS won't have to pay for "SKILLED"(drop a box on a porch) union workers.

Think about how much simpler this has become in the last 10 years. Loaders are loading by numbers not addresses anymore. Drivers don't have to develop a personalized route, it's already set for you.

You must be in a bubble to think UPS will need Teamsters in 10 years.

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster

We Love Logistics[/QUOTE]

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Hahaha I hope your not serious. The purpose of introducing technology is to ultimately make our job easy enough so that any monkey with a valid license can do it. By doing so UPS won't have to pay for "SKILLED"(drop a box on a porch) union workers.

Think about how much simpler this has become in the last 10 years. Loaders are loading by numbers not addresses anymore. Drivers don't have to develop a personalized route, it's already set for you.

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster

We Love Logistics
[/QUOTE]
The more you post, the more you show that you don't have any idea what you're talking about

Orion inc.

I like turtles
50-60 hrs is too much for you? 45k is enough? you could be making 100k a year in just a few years. 140k if you count the benefits. have a budget of 50k and invest the rest in the 401k, IRA , and real estate or something else and have close to million in 10-15 years.

there is no perfect job. but the money and the bennies here make it easier to take than most. a positive attitude makes the difference.

good luck with a 40 hr work week and making it in America from your trailer park . ( only kidding ) good luck with whatever you decide.
Is he in the trailer next to you?

brownstreak86

The position is comfortable, I've done it before. I'm not afraid of working 60 hours a week at UPS, I've done it before as well, but a man also needs time to spend all that money. Where I am at a $40k a year job isn't bad. At this other job the supervisors are nice, the work is mentally demanding but not physically. I can handle physically demanding, but sometimes it gets just plain stupid at UPS. On top of that our start time is now 9:30. Meaning a 10 hour day gets you home at 8 PM. Sure I could make 100K at UPS and have a bunch of toys that I don't need, but again, I'd be working my butt off for that money, working until 8-9 PM, and possibly destroying my body in the process.

Loyal Teamster

it gets just plain stupid at UPS. , I'd be working my butt off for that money, working until 8-9 PM, and possibly destroying my body in the process.

Also most of my older coworker drivers are fckn bitter. It's like they hate people after driving for so long.
Divorce rate us UPS drivers has skyrocketed in the last 10 years.

upschuck

The position is comfortable, I've done it before. I'm not afraid of working 60 hours a week at UPS, I've done it before as well, but a man also needs time to spend all that money. Where I am at a $40k a year job isn't bad. At this other job the supervisors are nice, the work is mentally demanding but not physically. I can handle physically demanding, but sometimes it gets just plain stupid at UPS. On top of that our start time is now 9:30. Meaning a 10 hour day gets you home at 8 PM. Sure I could make 100K at UPS and have a bunch of toys that I don't need, but again, I'd be working my butt off for that money, working until 8-9 PM, and possibly destroying my body in the process.
Sounds like you've made up your mind. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Faceplanted

If the new opertunity is something you would enjoy get out now and don't look back. You won't make 100k for at least another 4 years, maybe more, everything is getting worse at ups... Not better. Good luck

4 days to get 40 hours and 45k a year sounds like a great gig

Foamer Pyle

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster

We Love Logistics
[/QUOTE]
The job may have become simpler for loaders, but the technology has done little to make my day more efficient. I still sort my car, and set it up stop for stop, and you cannot do that without area knowledge. I don't need EDD to do my job, I used to do this work on paper. I would challenge any Management schmuck to out perform me. You can do my route on Orion, and I will do it old school on paper, and still finish before you. I am willing to bet my job on that challenge. In an attempt to simplify a job, once again, management has over thought everything and made the job more difficult, and less efficient.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
To the OP,
I think you should stay, but Loyal Teamster should go.

BTW, he is definitely a Troll and I believe that he is in management by the way he phrases his arguments.

The "Loyal Teamster" handle and the things he says also give him away. Maybe he is the TOS of UPS affairs versus every conceivable worldly affair...