Is it right for the center to give out your name to a customer?

Is it right for the center to give out your name to a customer?

• Absolutely not!

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • Yes, whats the big deal?

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • No opinion!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

705red

Browncafe Steward
On Friday i had a nda for a residential customer. This customer is a no driver release because of claims. This area goes back and forth between myself and the driver just to my self depending on our stop counts. Well anyways he was not home, so i left a delivery notice.

About 11, 1130 am i get an ods from the center asking me to reattempt today. I stated that i was to heavy and would not be finishing my rout today as it was, and that this customer is a no dr.

I received another ods to set up a meet point for him to meet me, i replied i did not feel comfortable meeting him because hes a no dr and i consider him to be a thief. i was told to same day will call it.

So about 445pm when another driver came to take work off of me he told me this customer had stopped him looking foe me. About 615pm this customer showed up and asked me if i was so and so, i said yes.

He asked me for his package and said the center gave him my name. I explained to him nicely that i did ot have his package. Even though i did, i was not going to get in to an argument with a customer. How am i suppose to trust him and not have any correct gps info if he makes another claim, saying that he never meet me?

I think this is total bs! The center had put me in a no win situation and if it happened to me how many other drivers has it happened to?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I think you handled it correctly, unless the center team instructed you otherwise. In that case, you work as instructed, but document the conversation with the center.

I always called on the cell so I would have a hard copy of the bill to show what transpired. You want me to do what? OK, slow down so I can write all this down. Complete with name and time.

CYA.

I would also have a meeting with your management team over the OMS giving out personal information. I dont believe she has a right to do so, nor give out information so the customer can stalk you. Have had that happen more than once.

d

BigBrownSanta

I don't agree with the oms giving out your name.

In that situation, I would have had the person produce ID and noted the DL number in the remarks column and then let them sign for it if the names on the package and the driver's license were the same. I might have even noted their license plate number in my "little black book" just to be sure to have something that could be traced if a problem arose. That's my CYA.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I personally dont care who knows my name because I'm a 6'1" 295 lb. big hairy ugly guy. An attractive female driver, on the other hand, doesnt need the weirdos or pervs on her route to know her name and it certainly is inappropriate for the center to give that info out to a customer or potential stalker.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I personally dont care who knows my name because I'm a 6'1" 295 lb. big hairy ugly guy. An attractive female driver, on the other hand, doesnt need the weirdos or pervs on her route to know her name and it certainly is inappropriate for the center to give that info out to a customer or potential stalker.
I have no problem giving out my name to my customers. I do have a problem with my center giving out my name and even giving out my phone number to other drivers in the last week or two.

King Of Queens

705red....you are 100% in the right I have even had my center give out my cell phone number I was so mad I called my BA at my union and told him about it and he was down there the next day. I am a shop stewart and they have no right to give out your personal info thats BS

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I'm a 6'1" 295 lb. big hairy ugly guy
Sober

There are those that would find that attractive, and not all of the opposite sex:funny:

It is the policy of the company not to give out the names of the employees to people over the phone. Period. THe OMS screwed up. Period. Dont matter if you are 5'9 blonde bombshell or Sober on steriods. That should not matter.

d

JonFrum

Article 10, Section 2 of the Master Contract says the Employer shall not post the employee's Social Security number or telephone number in the workplace.

It should go without saying that the Employer shouldn't give out personal information to a customer, especially to a questionable one.

See also Article 44, section 3 of the Local 705 agreement.

I wonder if the ODS person would mind if their personal information was published in this thread so we know the whole story? An 8 x 10 color glossy would be nice too.:wink2:

I`ve had people give them my first name and package car number if I had a split and someone was looking for a package. I would always check an I.D. and get a signature. Of course this was before the message through the board stuff,etc. At best we had beepers back then.

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
Sober

There are those that would find that attractive, and not all of the opposite sex:funny:

It is the policy of the company not to give out the names of the employees to people over the phone. Period. THe OMS screwed up. Period. Dont matter if you are 5'9 blonde bombshell or Sober on steriods. That should not matter.

d

in the dist office, not only were are first and LAST names given out, the cust also would/could/was given the address to the dist office.

Johney

I can remember a time when you were givin a name tag with your first and last name on it and told to wear it. That's not the same as ODS giving your name out but everyone that came into contact with you knew who you were. Of course no one wears those anymore.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My OMS took it upon herself to give my cell phone number out to a customer--it only happened once as the discussion we had when I got off the road quickly put an end to that.

Red, I agree with you up to a point. I think you should have given the pkg to the guy after first confirming his identity and having him sign for it. It would have taken you all of 15 seconds to have done all of this and been on your way. I do think that in this situation you did not handle it properly.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I totally agree 705. I have customers who know my name, have my number.
But it is a whole different scenario, when whoever is manning the phones does it. We should be referred to as "the driver in the area" cannot reattempt. Not by name, or in my case gender. I really hate when an OMS says, "she says she cannot reattempt, or she cannot meet you there" Since Im the only female in my center, and in town, its kind of a give away. And unless I deem it important, such as a business, or medicine, it does not deserve a meet. Especially at Christmas I got really tired of ODS to meet for phones.

I think Red handled it just fine, it was his decision and he did what he thought correct for the situation. Probably not what I would have done, but I wasn't there. As for the OMS giving out any of my personal info....there would be hell to pay. A few years ago one of my fellow drivers gave my cell number to a customer who called me an hour and 50 miles after I attempted to deliver his package at 13:10. When the customer figured out that I wasn't going to turn around and bring his package to him he asked about meeting me. I told him he was welcome to, I would be in suchinsuch town (75 miles from him) in about 30 minutes then I would be out in the county. I then promptly turned off my cell phone. I suspect the regular driver delivered it the next day. The fellow driver now understands not to give out my cell number.

705red

Browncafe Steward
My OMS took it upon herself to give my cell phone number out to a customer--it only happened once as the discussion we had when I got off the road quickly put an end to that.

Red, I agree with you up to a point. I think you should have given the pkg to the guy after first confirming his identity and having him sign for it. It would have taken you all of 15 seconds to have done all of this and been on your way. I do think that in this situation you did not handle it properly.
I/we leave packages at residential customers as a convenience for both parties, the driver and of course the customer. When you have a customer that makes several claims it is no longer a convenience.

If they would have been any other customer that was a no dr, absolutely i would have delivered it right than and there. But if ups tells me i am not able to dr to the house i am not going to allow him to meet me on area were my gps can not prove i was there at his house at that time.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

My OMS did that ONCE! At least it was only to another driver but by the time I got done with her it was the LAST time she ever did it.

I don't care for the most part but only if I have the choice (name only, not phone number ever). I give my number to those that I want to have it.

satellitedriver

Red,
you are no new kid on the block.
If this person is a no DR ( I hate a thief) and you have bad vibes about them, you did the right thing.
I can not relate to the center giving my name out question, since I live in a county of only 25,000 people.
Everyone knows me and feels free to call me at home to tell me they are expecting a pkg in a couple of weeks and to keep a lookout for it.
I kinda get tired of telling people that I do not park my pkg car at my house on the weekends.
BTW, my center has never given my number out to anyone, not even other drivers,without my permission.
That is the way it should be.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I can remember a time when you were givin a name tag with your first and last name on it and told to wear it. That's not the same as ODS giving your name out but everyone that came into contact with you knew who you were. Of course no one wears those anymore.

Mine got "lost" the first day they made me wear it. Same thing happened to its replacement. Darn things just kept falling off!