Is it THAT bad?

fuqboi

Express is hiring DOT couriers in my area and I'm thinking of applying since I'm pretty desperate for a job at the moment. I know UPS is the much better option, but they aren't hiring now for anything other than driver helper, and I'm not planning on making driving my career anyway. I just need to do something while I look for a job related to my degree. Is working here really that terrible?

SmithBarney

As long as you know its just a job and not a career, and you have no plans to stay then sure it's just fine. FYI don't let on that you plan on leaving...otherwise they won't waste the investment in hiring/training you.

bacha29

In today's world, you take what the economy will give you. A job related to your degree? Today it' s a job related to your need to survive including paying back your student loans the quickest way possible. and you must be prepared for a very tough go of it. About any place you go today you will find a very hostitle environment. The human aspect is long gone and be prepared to do the kind of tasks you may have otherwise considered beneath you.

TUT

In today's world, you take what the economy will give you.

And by today's world we mean yesterdays, today's and tomorrow. If you need a job get one, look for another from there if not satisfied. That is as sound advice as any person can perhaps give you.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I started earlier this year. I actually enjoy this job and like it very much.
You must be part-time with a half way decent manager. Pray that he or she doesn't leave.

Oh yeah, and don't go full time unless you really like being jacked around.

!Retired!

What happens in January?
Volume drops, nobody on vacation......get ready to be scheduled for PM's ONLY. I've even seen swings scheduled for FO and overflow. No overflow work, have a nice day. Yes, it's nice working 2-3 hours and getting guaranteed 7, but that gets old.

bacha29

Remember Big Work. Change is the only constant and nothing's binding If you think you are set for life working at any one of the Fedex unit's you are in for the shock of your life. In today's economy, you're not layed off, you're disposed of.

outtatime

Volume drops, nobody on vacation......get ready to be scheduled for PM's ONLY. I've even seen swings scheduled for FO and overflow. No overflow work, have a nice day. Yes, it's nice working 2-3 hours and getting guaranteed 7, but that gets old.
Being a swing I've actually done FO and come back to the station by 8am, then told to stick around until 10:30 in case someone needed P1 help. If they want to pay me to sit in the break room for 2 hours...fine by me.

McFeely

Huge Member
No overflow work, have a nice day. Yes, it's nice working 2-3 hours and getting guaranteed 7, but that gets old.

Hell, I'm annoyed at only working 6 hour days this week as a full-timer while regular route runners in my station are working 9-10 daily. We even have part-timers working longer days than me, and I'm one of the dudes who can handle the 150+ stop routes. Go figure...

Today I managed to do 21 stops and do it at 5.5 hours due to all the shuttle time to/from missorts that I had to deliver.

Purplepackage

Express is hiring DOT couriers in my area and I'm thinking of applying since I'm pretty desperate for a job at the moment. I know UPS is the much better option, but they aren't hiring now for anything other than driver helper, and I'm not planning on making driving my career anyway. I just need to do something while I look for a job related to my degree. Is working here really that terrible?

Listen if you need a job then take it, there aren't many places that will start you at 18 bucks an hour with full benefits which if you are single are only 15 bucks a month.

It's a good way to save up money while findinf something else

SmithBarney

Listen if you need a job then take it, there aren't many places that will start you at 18 bucks an hour with full benefits which if you are single are only 15 bucks a month.

Careful here, 18$/hr is in very limited markets, where the majority of the company lies within the 15/hr starting wage. And the areas that start at 18$/HR are incredibly expensive areas to live.

vantexan

Careful here, 18$/hr is in very limited markets, where the majority of the company lies within the 15/hr starting wage. And the areas that start at 18$/HR are incredibly expensive areas to live.
I think starting pay on the lowest payscale is $15.48. Goes up to more than $16.50 on the next payscale. "B" payscale, the lowest, is so far behind everyone else it's ridiculous. Someone said recently that their mgr said FedEx is looking at reducing the number of payscales. Hope that means the "B" is dropped and all those couriers get the bump up. Can only hope, FedEx doesn't care.

bacha29

Van tex. Sounds to me like you are in reality an Express employee and not a Ground contractor. If's that's thecase I apologize for any misunderstandings. But remember there are similarities between X and G . They are seperate operating units with different styles, policies and protocols.

Purplepackage

I'm not sure what we start at but I know a new hire who on this last round of raises now makes 18.00 dollars and where I live 18 an hour is good money