Is it THAT bad?

l22

Express is hiring DOT couriers in my area and I'm thinking of applying since I'm pretty desperate for a job at the moment. I know UPS is the much better option, but they aren't hiring now for anything other than driver helper, and I'm not planning on making driving my career anyway. I just need to do something while I look for a job related to my degree. Is working here really that terrible?

It's a good part-time gig. I too went to school and got a degree but have been unable to find work in my field and will continue to be unable to in the coming future. Like Bacha29 said "In today's world, you take what the economy will give you. A job related to your degree? Today it' s a job related to your need to survive including paying back your student loans the quickest way possible. and you must be prepared for a very tough go of it." ... If I were you I would consider working as a p/t courier/handler and getting a certification in someting (one that will be needed in the future as much/or more than it is now) that will result in you finding work in that field immediately upon completing it and make that your primary source of income and just stay p/t at Express. The happiest employees with over 10 years I have known are the ones who are P/T and do something else for their primary source of income.

Last edited:

l22

Give it some time. You'll be hating soon enough. Unless, you're a major Kool-Aid drinker.

The only bad part of the job is being in the station. Once you get on the road, it is a good job if you are a young person who can handle the physical work. Having said that, there are better ways to make larger amounts of money. You're not going to make a ton of money as a courier, but you can make enough to live comfortably if you have no kids and are not bent on constantly buying new material things.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
It's a good part-time gig. I too went to school and got a degree but have been unable to find work in my field and will continue to be unable to in the coming future. Like Bacha29 said "In today's world, you take what the economy will give you. A job related to your degree? Today it' s a job related to your need to survive including paying back your student loans the quickest way possible. and you must be prepared for a very tough go of it." ... If I were you I would consider working as a p/t courier/handler and getting a certification in someting (one that will be needed in the future as much/or more than it is now) that will result in you finding work in that field immediately upon completing it and make that your primary source of income and just stay p/t at Express. The happiest employees employees with over 10 years I have known are the ones who are P/T and do something else for their primary source of income.
What's your degree in?

l22

What's your degree in?

I'd rather not say... It is a 4-year one though. After 5 years, it has been a rocky road and Express has by far been the best job I've had .... That statement should tell you how tough things are out there. I am in the process of getting a certification but will stay P/T at Express as I like being on the road... As long as they keep the benefits, which are decent compared to what most employers offer in today's job market.

vantexan

Van tex. Sounds to me like you are in reality an Express employee and not a Ground contractor. If's that's thecase I apologize for any misunderstandings. But remember there are similarities between X and G . They are seperate operating units with different styles, policies and protocols.
Yep, I'm Express and the OP is looking at an Express opening.

dezguy

Hell, I'm annoyed at only working 6 hour days this week as a full-timer while regular route runners in my station are working 9-10 daily. We even have part-timers working longer days than me, and I'm one of the dudes who can handle the 150+ stop routes. Go figure...

Today I managed to do 21 stops and do it at 5.5 hours due to all the shuttle time to/from missorts that I had to deliver.
You're guaranteed 7.5 hours as full time but only if you stand up for yourself. If you leave after 6 hours, that's on you. If you're done after 6 hours, tell your manager they need to find you another hour and a half of work.

whenIgetthere

I think starting pay on the lowest payscale is $15.48. Goes up to more than $16.50 on the next payscale. "B" payscale, the lowest, is so far behind everyone else it's ridiculous. Someone said recently that their mgr said FedEx is looking at reducing the number of payscales. Hope that means the "B" is dropped and all those couriers get the bump up. Can only hope, FedEx doesn't care.

I hope so, I am in a scale B, $18.01 fifteen plus years in!

nightman

$18 after 10 years!? That's ridiculous and why I'm reluctant to except an Express Courier p/t position. I currently drive for FedEx Ground. I enjoy the job itself just hate that's it's a contractor so I applied and got hired by express. But after talking to a few UPS drivers on my route and learning they started driving after 6-8 months (cover and air mail of course at first) I might say no to Express and find a job elsewhere during the day and be a package handler at night. I'm in a city that is booming and UPS is always hiring handlers.

My only problem is I have a 6 month old whom I currently paying health insurance out of pocket for and the benefits after 90 days with Express would be nice.

MassWineGuy

Don't let all the "it's all crap" folks sway you from going for it. I've worked as a pt permanent DOT driver for over a year and enjoy the job and the people I work with.

Try it.

Express Courier

If someone just wanted PT for the benefits etc. doing FO would be perfect. We have a few old guys near retirement that do just that. And those are the type of guys that will say :censored2: off to management if they don't want to stay after FO.

l22

If someone just wanted PT for the benefits etc. doing FO would be perfect. We have a few old guys near retirement that do just that. And those are the type of guys that will say :censored2: off to management if they don't want to stay after FO.

Part-time PM is really nice considering there is no sort - there is just a reload when you get back to the station that is about 20-30 min. When you start: you come in, have a 5 minute meeting, pre-trip then go on-road. FO is just like that but no reload. A lot of FO drivers in my experience also do P1 though.

outtatime

Part-time FO is where it's at if you don't mind getting up that early. Not having to deal with the morning sort, 3-6 stops and maybe a few P1's if someone needs help.