Is it THAT bad?

outtatime

Oh, that sucks as far as the day off goes. You're probably better off taking the PM route so you're guaranteed time off during the day to pursue other opportunities. When you start in the morning it's anyone's guess when you could be getting out.
Exactly! PM routes have basically set schedules and you have all morning to do what you need to. And like what was already said, the stops are the same every day with a few "on calls" thrown in. Plus your work day is a little more relaxed time wise versus doing AM deliveries.

SmithBarney

AM route if you want extra hours(occasionally or maybe a lot based on locale)
They can't keep you past 6hrs if you are PT.

PM if you want set schedule, extra hours are limited unless it's a ramp or some location that continues sort operations for several hours.

Hell, I'm annoyed at only working 6 hour days this week as a full-timer while regular route runners in my station are working 9-10 daily. We even have part-timers working longer days than me, and I'm one of the dudes who can handle the 150+ stop routes. Go figure...

Today I managed to do 21 stops and do it at 5.5 hours due to all the shuttle time to/from missorts that I had to deliver.
IF YOU WANT MORE HOURS, JUST DO P1, STANDARD, P2, EX IN THAT ORDER ON WHAT PKG YOU HAVE. DO THE BUSINESS DELIVERIES FIRST THEN GO THE RESIDENTIALS LAST. REMEMBER YOU HAVE TILL 8:00PM FOR RESIDENTIAL DELVERIES

I'm not sure what we start at but I know a new hire who on this last round of raises now makes 18.00 dollars and where I live 18 an hour is good money
IN THE SF BAY AREA, STARTING COURIER PAY IS $20.00 AND CHANGE. JUST KEEP IN MIND THAT THE SF BAY AREA HAS A HIGH COST OF LIVING. HANDLERS START AT $15.00. WE ARE THE HIGHEST PAID MARKET IN THE WHOLE COUNTRY

Careful here, 18$/hr is in very limited markets, where the majority of the company lies within the 15/hr starting wage. And the areas that start at 18$/HR are incredibly expensive areas to live.
THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA MARKET IS THE HIGHEST PAID IN THE WHOLE COUNTRY. STARTING PAY FOR COURIERS IS $20 AND CHANGE. SWING MAKE $1.00 MORE THAN A REGULAR COURIER

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
IF YOU WANT MORE HOURS, JUST DO P1, STANDARD, P2, EX IN THAT ORDER ON WHAT PKG YOU HAVE. DO THE BUSINESS DELIVERIES FIRST THEN GO THE RESIDENTIALS LAST. REMEMBER YOU HAVE TILL 8:00PM FOR RESIDENTIAL DELVERIES

IN THE SF BAY AREA, STARTING COURIER PAY IS $20.00 AND CHANGE. JUST KEEP IN MIND THAT THE SF BAY AREA HAS A HIGH COST OF LIVING. HANDLERS START AT $15.00. WE ARE THE HIGHEST PAID MARKET IN THE WHOLE COUNTRY

THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA MARKET IS THE HIGHEST PAID IN THE WHOLE COUNTRY. STARTING PAY FOR COURIERS IS $20 AND CHANGE. SWING MAKE $1.00 MORE THAN A REGULAR COURIER
Caps lock stuck?

Schweddy

Balls
SIMMER DOWN STEPHEN HAWKING!!

OP, I don't mind my PT evening gig, M-friend. I wanted a job that gave me my family time back and energy to think about what I want to move towards. I'm glad I don't have a M-S / T-S deal. Most Sat routes at our station get done 12-2ish? I work with good folks.. and then a few that do the bare minimum and act like they have no clue how to do basic tasks.

l22

Exactly! PM routes have basically set schedules and you have all morning to do what you need to. And like what was already said, the stops are the same every day with a few "on calls" thrown in. Plus your work day is a little more relaxed time wise versus doing AM deliveries.

PM is definitely better - easier because your route is extremely predictable, it's more laid back, and it has more of a get-in/get-out feel (vs. AM, where you often have to wait for freight to come in). Doing the PM you will experience constant deja vu, which only makes it easier. Oncalls are usually really simple and are easy to explain if a customer delays you.

I've worked 4 years as an Express PM part time courier Tues-Sat at a fairly small station and have had a pretty good experience overall. It's an easy and non stressful 30hrs a week, great if you have another job or go to school... once you get the hang of it it's probably one of the easiest jobs you will ever have. On occasion some SDR can be a little out of the ordinary if there is late freight from Friday, but other than that a typical week is gravy. My manager is pretty reasonable and backs off and trusts everyone to do their job. This time of year I work more than 1/4 of the FT couriers, T-friend is a guaranteed 6+hr day and Saturdays are between 12-2 like Muckduck said. You won't know until YOU try it, don't listen to some of these whiners on here it's not that bad..

l22

I've worked 4 years as an Express PM part time courier Tues-Sat at a fairly small station and have had a pretty good experience overall. It's an easy and non stressful 30hrs a week, great if you have another job or go to school... once you get the hang of it it's probably one of the easiest jobs you will ever have. On occasion some SDR can be a little out of the ordinary if there is late freight from Friday, but other than that a typical week is gravy. My manager is pretty reasonable and backs off and trusts everyone to do their job. This time of year I work more than 1/4 of the FT couriers, T-friend is a guaranteed 6+hr day and Saturdays are between 12-2 like Muckduck said. You won't know until YOU try it, don't listen to some of these whiners on here it's not that bad..

The way things are with the majority of companies today, It is very good... and that's kind of sad. It's still better than the majority of companies. The happiest employee is a P/T one who has another gig. I'd say if you are p/t, you have a really good gig along with whatever else it is you do. The job does get very easy once you learn how to WAD

Purplepackage

The way things are with the majority of companies today, It is very good... and that's kind of sad. It's still better than the majority of companies. The happiest employee is a P/T one who has another gig. I'd say if you are p/t, you have a really good gig along with whatever else it is you do. The job does get very easy once you learn how to WAD

The really sad part is that wether you have a degree or not in today's America your lucky to have a job in general. It's rough place out there for kids graduating college, and with the uncertainty in the stock market you better hold on to anything that you can

l22

The really sad part is that wether you have a degree or not in today's America your lucky to have a job in general. It's rough place out there for kids graduating college, and with the uncertainty in the stock market you better hold on to anything that you can

Definitely. Being a p/t courier is a good gig because you can get better health benefits than most places provide and a steady paycheck - a large part of which you can just put into savings if you can afford to. It's a good side gig but if you have a degree continue your education or try to get a certification in something else - a trade, IT, real estate, mortgage broker, the health field, aircraft mechanic, etc. that gives you a marketable skill others don't have unless they are certified. Or get into Ops management

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I doubt that, jerk. You, Mssr. FedEx. et al should simply quit and find jobs you like. But you probably find it easier to complain.

The fact that they hire geezers like you from the rest home speaks volumes about who they will take these days. Do you have tennis balls on your walker?