Is It Time To Take The Next Step?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Is it time to start disrupting FedEx Express operations? I talked about this a few months ago but recent events make the subject much more pertinent today.

It's clear that upper management is still playing the same old game of ignoring us and hoping we'll go away. They act like nothing's wrong and that everybody is a happy camper. It's fine with them if we continue to move backwards in terms of wages and benefits. Right now, we're at about 1998, and if they get their way, we'll continue to move back in time towards the Stone Age.

There are many things we can all do on a daily basis to make them pay attention, from just slowing down and doing everything by the book, to more radical actions that defy policy and risk retaliation. It wouldn't be difficult to slow things down by 10% and keep everyone within "policy".

Do you want to work for a WalMart clone, or do you want a better future than that? Perhaps it's time to step-up and cause some "problems".

over9five

Staff member
Disrupt? I think now is the time to ride it out as you always have. The end of things as they have been is coming to an end, one way or another.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Perhaps it's time to step-up and cause some "problems".

That's the riskiest thing you can do.

There's the balancing act between being effective and getting caught intentionally sabotaging operations. If you don't want to get caught, you'll have to do things that won't really amount to much. If you really want to gum up the works, good luck -- it won't be hard to figure out who did what.

Is it worth losing your job?

This is an example from a courier at my station. He was bent out of shape over something, so the came in from his PUP route 5 minutes before the CTV was to depart, and his truck was full. Normally, he's in 45 minutes before the departure. It PO'd the entire reload crew and they had a late departure.

They told the manager, who ran a IIb23 for that day and the 3 days prior. Then he asked the courier why he got in so late, and the courier gave him some BS. It didn't match up with the IIb23. BOOM, warning letter. He got another two weeks after that.

The manager is just letting him worry himself to death about losing his job. The guy is walking on eggshells and is nearly paranoid. One more letter and he's gone -- all because he wanted to make a point.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That's the riskiest thing you can do.

There's the balancing act between being effective and getting caught intentionally sabotaging operations. If you don't want to get caught, you'll have to do things that won't really amount to much. If you really want to gum up the works, good luck -- it won't be hard to figure out who did what.

Is it worth losing your job?

This is an example from a courier at my station. He was bent out of shape over something, so the came in from his PUP route 5 minutes before the CTV was to depart, and his truck was full. Normally, he's in 45 minutes before the departure. It PO'd the entire reload crew and they had a late departure.

They told the manager, who ran a IIb23 for that day and the 3 days prior. Then he asked the courier why he got in so late, and the courier gave him some BS. It didn't match up with the IIb23. BOOM, warning letter. He got another two weeks after that.

The manager is just letting him worry himself to death about losing his job. The guy is walking on eggshells and is nearly paranoid. One more letter and he's gone -- all because he wanted to make a point.

I'm not sure we will win in the Senate and they deserve a wake-up call as to the level of our discontent. The courier you mention didn't do it as smart as he could have. He could have made the 45 minutes 20 minutes, or 15, or whatever. If everyone added a little time here and there it wouldn't be detectable and the overall effect would be huge. Just refusing to falsify would be a big start at my station.

Ricochet1a

FedEx has the protection of the RLA to prevent this. The RLA exists to prevent such actions (service disruptions). The only recourses Express employees have are:

1) Get the RLA status changed, start unionizing stations on a widespread scale.

2) With the RLA status in effect, get 50% of employees in craft to sign union cards at the same time.

3) Accept whatever Fred decides is best for Express employees.

4) Quit.

If #2 was an option, it would've already been done by now. Option #1 is up in the air right now (not looking favorable at this point). Option #3 is acceptable for many employees at this point, not acceptable for many (but not as many who do accept #3). Option #4 is the only sure recourse.

Fred is going to get what he wants one way or another. Unless there is a massive movement to organize RIGHT NOW, Fred will win. He's pulled off the IC charade this long, there is no real sign that he'll be forced to give it up. Having individual employees try to disrupt things without union protection is suicide. FedEx can pull out the warning letter and go "1, 2, 3 you're OUT!". If the RLA status holds, NO Courier should plan on having a job 5 years from now, unless they want a part-time job with no prospects of advancement or retirement. The writing is on the wall.

This is why this is the last chance for employees to have a say in their futures. If the RLA status holds, you might as well start planning on another career, or learn about how Ground operates and become a $13/hr helper. I decided to take option #4 a few years ago. I'm working part-time while getting an advanced degree. I'd like to get the pension back under protection of a contract, but that isn't going to happen, since my station wouldn't vote to certify a union even if the RLA status was changed. I'm going to finish up my Masters' next summer and will really enjoy my last day on road. For those who don't have the same option as I, I really hope the RLA status is changed and they can certify a union. Failing that, I'd suggest on planning on taking option #4 and getting a new career planned.

59 Dano

I'm not sure we will win in the Senate and they deserve a wake-up call as to the level of our discontent. The courier you mention didn't do it as smart as he could have. He could have made the 45 minutes 20 minutes, or 15, or whatever. If everyone added a little time here and there it wouldn't be detectable and the overall effect would be huge. Just refusing to falsify would be a big start at my station.

That's brilliant. Drive up relative costs and give them another reason to cut/suspend even MORE benefits.

THAT'LL SHOW 'EM!!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That's brilliant. Drive up relative costs and give them another reason to cut/suspend even MORE benefits.

THAT'LL SHOW 'EM!!!

You don't get it. We've been playing the game by their rules for all of these years and not doing ourselves any favors in the process. The only thing they understand is "costs", and driving them up will actually serve to get their attention. As long as costs are going down, they think everything is A-OK,because that's all they care about...the profit, not us.

What is there left to cut/suspend anyway? Is there really anything they can take away besides the job itself? How has being a good little rule follower served you or any of us---even when the economy was strong. At the height of profits they were still taking away because they could. They make the rules, and then don't even bother to follow them. Please tell me how we can ever get ahead under those circumstances?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FedEx has the protection of the RLA to prevent this. The RLA exists to prevent such actions (service disruptions). The only recourses Express employees have are:

1) Get the RLA status changed, start unionizing stations on a widespread scale.

2) With the RLA status in effect, get 50% of employees in craft to sign union cards at the same time.

3) Accept whatever Fred decides is best for Express employees.

4) Quit.

If #2 was an option, it would've already been done by now. Option #1 is up in the air right now (not looking favorable at this point). Option #3 is acceptable for many employees at this point, not acceptable for many (but not as many who do accept #3). Option #4 is the only sure recourse.

Fred is going to get what he wants one way or another. Unless there is a massive movement to organize RIGHT NOW, Fred will win. He's pulled off the IC charade this long, there is no real sign that he'll be forced to give it up. Having individual employees try to disrupt things without union protection is suicide. FedEx can pull out the warning letter and go "1, 2, 3 you're OUT!". If the RLA status holds, NO Courier should plan on having a job 5 years from now, unless they want a part-time job with no prospects of advancement or retirement. The writing is on the wall.

This is why this is the last chance for employees to have a say in their futures. If the RLA status holds, you might as well start planning on another career, or learn about how Ground operates and become a $13/hr helper. I decided to take option #4 a few years ago. I'm working part-time while getting an advanced degree. I'd like to get the pension back under protection of a contract, but that isn't going to happen, since my station wouldn't vote to certify a union even if the RLA status was changed. I'm going to finish up my Masters' next summer and will really enjoy my last day on road. For those who don't have the same option as I, I really hope the RLA status is changed and they can certify a union. Failing that, I'd suggest on planning on taking option #4 and getting a new career planned.

I'm not talking all-out service disruptions...I'm talking subterfuge for now. Playing mind games with them instead of the other way around. Taking full breaks and maybe a bit extra, doing everything exactly by the book,following speed limits, taking extra time to do indirects, or taking the long way in with the most traffic. Little actions by many that add-up to large problems for the people who don't give a rat's ass about you, your family or your future while they line their lives with gold.

The extra 10% we give everyday is something they count on, and they do NOT deserve that amount of effort. Don't do it anymore and see how they freak-out when those precious GD'ed numbers don't meet projections.

59 Dano

You don't get it. We've been playing the game by their rules for all of these years and not doing ourselves any favors in the process. The only thing they understand is "costs", and driving them up will actually serve to get their attention. As long as costs are going down, they think everything is A-OK,because that's all they care about...the profit, not us.

What is there left to cut/suspend anyway? Is there really anything they can take away besides the job itself? How has being a good little rule follower served you or any of us---even when the economy was strong. At the height of profits they were still taking away because they could. They make the rules, and then don't even bother to follow them. Please tell me how we can ever get ahead under those circumstances?

So they're gonna start giving you all these goodies because you've run up the costs? That's... interesting.

The only thing you accomplish by purposely running up the costs is giving management a reason to trim some fat. Wanna take a guess as to which employees they'll target first?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So they're gonna start giving you all these goodies because you've run up the costs? That's... interesting.

The only thing you accomplish by purposely running up the costs is giving management a reason to trim some fat. Wanna take a guess as to which employees they'll target first?

Is there really anything left to trim? At my station, 2 sick calls are enough to throw the place off base. The managers are on the road almost every day doing routes instead of their job. It's already cut to the bone.

As long as they make their numbers, everything is great. What I'm saying is to NOT make the numbers. If anything, they'll have to add people because the rest of us are no longer willing to play the game of having routes collapsed (even when they don't need to be to "up" productivity), rolled-back start times and the like.

If you continue to cooperate, nothing will change. We've gone along with this happy crap for way too long. It sounds like you've got Stockholm Syndrome dude. Your "captor" abuses you, yet you take it and actually become enamored with it. Wake up.

bbsam

Staff member
mrfedex, you're beginning to sound a bit desperate. what really is the hurry at this point. the house passed the faa bill with fred's exemption eliminated just a month ago and already no faith in the senate. this all plays out one way or another. and as to "They can't fire us all," they won't have too. 2 or 3 in the problem terminals will have everyone walking on eggshells.

59 Dano

If you continue to cooperate, nothing will change. We've gone along with this happy crap for way too long. It sounds like you've got Stockholm Syndrome dude. Your "captor" abuses you, yet you take it and actually become enamored with it. Wake up.

With all due respect, I'm a grown man who doesn't need someone who constantly whines and cries telling me to "wake up."

I've yet to have reason to complain about my treatment --even once-- since the day I was hired. I have an amazing amount of input in my job and a considerably generous amount of support from my manager and my senior. I'm thankful for the latitude that's been granted to me in terms of trying new things, changing things around, and experimenting with new ideas.

Frankly, they've essentially thrown the doors open and told me, "Do whatever you want," and it's been that way since about my 8th month of employment.

I'm sorry that you're chronically unhappy, but I worked for 6 years with people like you and realize that they never bring about anything positive in the workplace. Perhaps *you* should become a bit more observant and realize that consistently fighting for the sheer sake of it benefits no one.

59 Dano

mrfedex, you're beginning to sound a bit desperate. what really is the hurry at this point. the house passed the faa bill with fred's exemption eliminated just a month ago and already no faith in the senate. this all plays out one way or another. and as to "They can't fire us all," they won't have too. 2 or 3 in the problem terminals will have everyone walking on eggshells.

Exactly.

It's hard to sort the legitimate issues from the nonsense when people are screaming about everything at the top of their lungs all the time. It all sounds the same after a while.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Exactly.

It's hard to sort the legitimate issues from the nonsense when people are screaming about everything at the top of their lungs all the time. It all sounds the same after a while.

In your own comfy little world, yes. Unfortunately, from what I have been reading, you are not trying much to see outside of it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
With all due respect, I'm a grown man who doesn't need someone who constantly whines and cries telling me to "wake up."

I've yet to have reason to complain about my treatment --even once-- since the day I was hired. I have an amazing amount of input in my job and a considerably generous amount of support from my manager and my senior. I'm thankful for the latitude that's been granted to me in terms of trying new things, changing things around, and experimenting with new ideas.

Frankly, they've essentially thrown the doors open and told me, "Do whatever you want," and it's been that way since about my 8th month of employment.

I'm sorry that you're chronically unhappy, but I worked for 6 years with people like you and realize that they never bring about anything positive in the workplace. Perhaps *you* should become a bit more observant and realize that consistently fighting for the sheer sake of it benefits no one.

You and bbsam can drink the Kool-Aid together. From what you've been posting, you've either got to be really clueless or a manager pretending to be an hourly.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

You're partially right....I have little faith in the Senate. As of last week, the exemption language has not even been added to the Senate version of the FAA Bill.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Its over,according to managment.Fedex has won the war.

And, of course, you believe everything management tells you, right? Even if they were losing big-time they'd still try and spin it as if it were the opposite. Do you ever question anything? If Bernie Madoff walked-up to you today and asked for your life savings, you'd probably hand it right over...no questions asked. You are a 25 watt bulb.