Is it worth being a PT Superviser?

So I have been working at UPS as a part time loader for almost 3 months now. I am 18 years old. I make an average of about $150/week. I consider myself a hard worker and my supervisor and other employees have told me that I work hard. I work hard every day. Most of the time I am the last one to leave because I have to clean every trailer. I know that I could just work slow and not stay because of the union, but that isn't me.

I feel that I am not making enough for my work. So I was thinking about becoming a Supervisor to make more money. But at the same time I have doubts because they don't get as much pay increase. I also want to become a supervisor because a friend told me that he has been working there for 5 years and makes $300/week. That is a long time to be working there to be making so little money.

I am still in school so I want to take advantage of the money they will give me for school. And I don't plan on staying at UPS forever.

So is it worth it? How much would I make? What benefits would I have? What disadvantages would I have?

Thanks.

Hydras70072

Hey man, im a part time supervisor, 20 years old and in school too, the works hard , but its worth it. Mind u going into management changes a few things message me for more info, id recommend it

Part time= full time.
Full time= all the time

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you are in college and do not intend to make UPS your career by all means go for the PT sup gig. It will look good on your resume and will give you experience supervising in a union environment.

So I have been working at UPS as a part time loader for almost 3 months now. I am 18 years old. I make an average of about $150/week. I consider myself a hard worker and my supervisor and other employees have told me that I work hard. I work hard every day. Most of the time I am the last one to leave because I have to clean every trailer. I know that I could just work slow and not stay because of the union, but that isn't me.

I feel that I am not making enough for my work. So I was thinking about becoming a Supervisor to make more money. But at the same time I have doubts because they don't get as much pay increase. I also want to become a supervisor because a friend told me that he has been working there for 5 years and makes $300/week. That is a long time to be working there to be making so little money.

I am still in school so I want to take advantage of the money they will give me for school. And I don't plan on staying at UPS forever.

So is it worth it? How much would I make? What benefits would I have? What disadvantages would I have?

Thanks.
Listen to the song....."The Devil Went Down to Georgia"....that Is your answer!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Thanks.
not making enough for your work? Welcome to PT! Stay out of management....it's like selling your soul for a donut!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If you are in college and do not intend to make UPS your career by all means go for the PT sup gig. It will look good on your resume and will give you experience supervising in a union environment.
Being 18 I doubt the OP has a great grasp on how things will turn out. I'd advise them to put off PT sup for a few years before taking the dip.

Box Ox

If you know for a fact you're in a lucrative field/major and know you'll be leaving UPS after college, go PT sup. In my opinion, that's the best type of sup to have. Especially if they have loading experience. More respected by the hourly employees vs straight off the street hires and they don't tend to lie/do anything to make their numbers for their bosses.

If you might stay with UPS after college, do not go PT sup. I've talked to 10+ year sups who wish every day that they could throw on the browns and leave the sup life behind. Said they hadn't known better when the opportunity arose.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
"He is still in school and wants to take advantage of tuition reimbursement. He also does not want to make this his career."
I understand and maybe my center is odd. It is full of college grads that weren't going to make ups a career.

I totally understand PT sup is a nice résumé builder but taking that job really closes a lot of doors as far as staying here goes.